REMAKES GALORE!

Pages: first 123 next last
Lately, I've been wondering about the status of games such as the Final Fantasy 7 remake, and from what I've heard, its good news. But...I was not expecting Square Enix to hit us with another remake bombshell...That's right folks! A Secret of Mana remake! I'm blown away! This was the very first game me and my brother purchased on the Wii Virtual Console back in like 2010. Man, its been ages.

So this topic is just for fun, but I would like everyone to name their top 5 dream games they wish would be remade. Even if your dream remakes are far from reality, it doesn't matter, just get them out there. These remakes could be because the game was bad, or the game was really good. For example, I've always wondered what a Quest 64 remake would be like XD.

MY TOP 5(Random Order)
  • Skies of Arcadia
  • Final Fantasy 6
  • Legend of Dragoon
  • Phantasy Star 4
  • Chrono Trigger

For a secret runner up, I would have added Zelda:Link's Awakening
Mostly I want to be able to play a few games while I poop at work, on my phone.

MY TOP X:

1. Final Fantasy 6
2. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords, on mobile (Android)
3. Dragon Quest IX, on mobile (Android)
4. Hero's Realm
5. Diablo II
Why does Square-Enix routinely hire terrible voice talent? It's almost like a running joke. =__= The graphics are also terribly lazy in that trailer.

DKC 2
I think it'd be incredible if they reinvigorated this trilogy (especially 2) with an aesthetic closer to the photo-real vibe they had in the originals. The sequels we received on Gamecube and Wii were pretty forgettable.

Final Fantasy IX
Won't hold my breath for this. XD

Mario RPG
The zany NPCs and humorous writing would be awesome for a modern SE-Nintendo collab - heck even a 3DS/iOS port would be cool.

MegaMan X
Mighty No. 9 was billed a spiritual successor, but it was mostly atrocious.

Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
I'd rather see terrible/mediocre games get the remake. Better to remake a game that didn't realize its full potential than mess with something that was already good. Remaking a game that failed the test of time will allow devs to fix problems during the initial development and possibly give it a new audience.

So yeah, I'd like to see failures get a second chance. Therefore, my list is:

1: Sonic 06
2: Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City
3: Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean
4: Megaman X: Command Mission
5: Two Worlds/Two Worlds II
6: Lunar: Dragon Song
7: Tokyo Mirage Sessions

EDIT: Oh, you were asking specifically for RPGs? Whoops. Well, I'll add a couple more.
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
I want a really good remake of Castlevania 2: Simon's Quest, but I recognize that this is the same as wanting a unicorn that I don't have to take care of and also dispenses cash, because Konami and also IGA. Also Castlevania Legends, with the same "never happening."

Mostly I don't want remakes of really good games because the remakers tend to just cram in modern sensibility where it hinders what was actually good.
author=Blindmind
Why does Square-Enix routinely hire terrible voice talent? It's almost like a running joke. =__= The graphics are also terribly lazy in that trailer.

DKC 2
I think it'd be incredible if they reinvigorated this trilogy (especially 2) with an aesthetic closer to the photo-real vibe they had in the originals. The sequels we received on Gamecube and Wii were pretty forgettable.

Final Fantasy IX

Mario RPG
The zany NPCs and humorous writing would be awesome for a modern SE-Nintendo collab - heck even a 3DS/iOS port would be cool.

MegaMan X
Mighty No. 9 was billed a spiritual successor, but it was mostly atrocious.

Haha!! I agreed on that point. The voice actor sounds a bit cheesy+whiny at the same time. Hopefully it improves over time. It sounds like he would say "whoa gnarly" any second now.

Mega Man X was remade for PSP and Android tho, but I assume you mean a High Definition Remake for next-gen consoles? Capcom has been treating Mega Man like utter garbage lately. With the exception of the re-releases and the inclusion of X,Zero,and Sigma in MVCI. We've been dried out waiting for a new Mega Man for almost a decade :( Although Mighty No.9 bombed, you should check out Mighty Gunvolt Burst, it gives us the MN9 we wanted. I would point a remake towards Mega Man X7

Final Fantasy VIII and IX were also going to be on my list because I played them recently and with the hype of FF7R, it was a no-brainer. I was avoiding them for the longest time, but they ended up being masterpieces. Time well spent XD

@Red_Nova
I currently own Sonic 06 and still go back to it from time to time. If there is any game in history that needs a redemption, its that one. I know why it turned out the way it did(rushing out for 15th anniversary,split team,etc), but still. Its like they released a beta version.

@Sooz
do you remember Castlevania 64 and Castlevania Adventure for Game Boy? The early 64 titles could use some love lol.

@kentona
Dragon Quest 9 was one of my favorites. I remember playing it like an addict on DS. I hear DQX is coming over to the US...I think? Something about character creation always makes me interested in a campaign longer than I should.
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
author=XBuster
@Red_Nova
I currently own Sonic 06 and still go back to it from time to time. If there is any game in history that needs a redemption, its that one. I know why it turned out the way it did(rushing out for 15th anniversary,split team,etc), but still. Its like they released a beta version.

Dude, I don't know what you did in your past life, but I think you've paid your penance and then some. You don't need to keep doing that to yourself.
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
author=XBuster
@Sooz
do you remember Castlevania 64 and Castlevania Adventure for Game Boy? The early 64 titles could use some love lol.

TBH I feel like Castlevania's peak was the SNES one. The move to 3D- like with most platform franchises- was a terrible idea.
author=Red_Nova
I'd rather see terrible/mediocre games get the remake. Better to remake a game that didn't realize its full potential than mess with something that was already good. Remaking a game that failed the test of time will allow devs to fix problems during the initial development and possibly give it a new audience.

I'd love to see God Hand get a HD Port/Remake. Make it widescreen, clean up the models, keep the animations, and use it as an excuse to clean up some of the game issues and expand on the content. It's a hard game to get into partly because the difficulty curve is fucked up: Go back to stage one and shuffle stuff around, replace fights, and do something to better ease the player into the game and teach them how to play besides throwing two demons at them and a mob boss.

I like the concept of Romancing SaGa 2: An intergenerational war of an empire vs the big bad immortal seven heroes. Build up your heroes, recruit heroes/classes, and find and beat the Heroes! The game itself didn't really use it much besides window dressing and a drive to punish players for usual SaGa stuff (powering up poorly or fleeing). Barely anything changes from generation to generation, the game wouldn't even be different if each generation change was "your current party retired, put together a new one at the adventurer's guild!" kind of narrative. It was only a B-budget SNES game with all the limitations so some of it is excusable but I'd still like to see a good RPG from the idea of what RS2 tried.

I'd also love to see the Age of Enlightenment Ultima games redone. Open world games are back in, right? And those were the original big expansive worlds games. Fix the horrible tedious shit like inventory management in U6, expand on the virtue stuff besides "rob spell reagents from a blind woman, make up for it by giving a beggar 100 coins one at a time". Concepts and implementations that I liked but haven't aged well basically.
author=Red_Nova
author=XBuster
@Red_Nova
Dude, I don't know what you did in your past life, but I think you've paid your penance and then some. You don't need to keep doing that to yourself.

Haha!! This made my day XD. I only go back to it because it is literally the last Sonic game that had multiple playable characters. It is the only 3D Sonic game where I can play as Blaze. To be honest, I haven't gone back to it in almost a year. Playing it is indeed a chore to behold.
Red_Nova
author=GreatRedSpirit
author=Red_Nova

I'm surprised it took almost an hour before someone called me out on it! Frankly, I expected to get swarmed in literally seconds. To be honest, though, this exact reaction is why I'd love to see it happen.

Rushed development aside, I think it could work if there were major cuts/overhauls in the design. Tone down the Final Fantasy aesthetic, scrap the shop and side missions, the playable side characters, and the bestiality, replace the humans with other anthropomorphic animals, among other things.

Can you imagine the reactions if Sega had the stones to even ATTEMPT to take another crack at one of the most notorious flops in recent history? Even more so if the game turned out to be not entirely horrible? I wouldn't have enough popcorn to last me through that spectacle.
Sooz
author=Red_Nova
Rushed development aside, I think it could work if there were major cuts/overhauls in the design. Tone down the Final Fantasy aesthetic, scrap the shop and side missions, the playable side characters, and the bestiality, replace the humans with other anthropomorphic animals, among other things.

So... if it were a completely different game that didn't suck from the bottom up? :V
Red_Nova
Hey, as long as we're dreaming.
author=Blindmind
Final Fantasy IX

Just getting Square-Enix to acknowledge FFIX's existence at all is a significant achievement.
Mirak
Stand back. Artist at work. I paint with enthusiasm if not with talent.
Well i for one am pleased with the current screenshots of the secret of mana remake. Even if the voice acting is virtually guaranteed to be cringey. I hope they put an option for disabling voices. Secret of Mana is one of the few snes cartridges i owned and finished to completion and i'm glad to see they're remaking it.

I'd like to see a chrono trigger remake that simply put everything into 3D but did not change ANYTHIIIING style-wise, as in, respect the original designs. Like what chrono resurrection would have done had it not been C&D'd. Maybe a 3D port of the DS version of chrono trigger would be bomb, it had the base game from the snes, the anime video cutscenes from the psone version, and also had a bunch of other stuff, stuff that isn't really necessary like more endings that linked the game to chrono cross (we can forget about the chrono cross link entirely), had optional post game dungeons, and a monster arena sort of thing. It was cool.
What counts as remake. Is it just a re-release with better textures and support for higher resolutions. Or is it an actual remake of the whole game. Well either way.

1. Ogre Battle
I don't even need a remake. Just a game with the same basic systems as this game would be nice. Army management. Automatic battles. It had all the goodness. But a new version of some sort. Maybe playable on the PC. I wouldn't mind that at all.

2. Arcanum
Remake the game from scratch. Or you know, just make it slightly prettier (doesn't need to be by much), fix all the CTDs and... Well. They could do some kind of tweak to the battle system. Because it was flawed. As long as it doesn't turn into total shit (which it probably would)

3. Mass Effect 2&3
Just reboot it. Use the original Mass Effect as a base (it was no masterpiece but it wasn't... whatever 2&3 was) and continue the story introduced there.

4. Tecmo Cup Soccer
Just make another football RPG. (I know there was sequels, there might even be recent ones. But none made it to translation)

Man it's really hard to come up with RPGs I feel like need remaking. Apart from the first two. It's not like I need anything other than support for modern machines (and gog tends to do that well). Of course I also didn't really play many of the really old titles. The ones that might need remaking. (And we got a Wasteland 2)

5... Fallout 3...
Just make the actual Fallout 3...
author=Red_Nova
I'm surprised it took almost an hour before someone called me out on it! Frankly, I expected to get swarmed in literally seconds. To be honest, though, this exact reaction is why I'd love to see it happen.

Can you imagine the reactions if Sega had the stones to even ATTEMPT to take another crack at one of the most notorious flops in recent history? Even more so if the game turned out to be not entirely horrible? I wouldn't have enough popcorn to last me through that spectacle.

I don't get why you keep calling the greatest game of its generation a flop though! I mean yeah bring it to the masses so everybody can play the infinite glory that is Sonic '06 but I wouldn't change a thing about it!

(I'm serious, I genuinely enjoyed Sonic '06! Not in a "it was actually good" sense but because it was so bad. It was a memorable experience where physics glitches happened everywhere, sometimes you'd just look real funny walking at an angle or sometimes you'd just physics off the entire world. Then waiting for the game to load so you could try again you could do your taxes, start dinner, hit A for the one dialog box, eat dinner, change your car's oil, then immediately die again because the game's engine is an overelaborate random number generator. Like you said the story is totally Final Fantasy and is absolutely cringeworthy in every way, it's basically like they lifted something from fanfiction.net . The best part is how it retcons itself out of existence. It's absolutely perfect!
)
Sooz
author=Shinan
What counts as remake. Is it just a re-release with better textures and support for higher resolutions. Or is it an actual remake of the whole game.

I'm assuming an actual remake, at least for mine; CV2 is a great premise bogged down by garbage gameplay, and Legends... well, is mostly just garbage but I love its dumb little plot.

Either way, I just want a great Castlevania game featuring a Belmont fighting Dracula, and not the nonsense IGA is attached to. Was attached to. Now it's all pachinko bullshit. ;_;
When did Castlevania switch from Barbarian With A Whip to 'BDSM Enthusiast' character designs, anyway?
Sooz
When they hired Obata to do the character designs. >:(

Before that it was Dracula's Family Soap Opera (occasionally a Belmont Kramers in)
Pages: first 123 next last