MISAO = FIN

SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

The Misaos are an annual award event given to indie games made in the RM community. 'Misaos' is the general name for the awards such as 'Best Atmosphere', 'Most Technical Prowess' or 'Game of the Year'. You can liken it to a "People's Choice" award, as the games are nominated and voted upon by the community-at-large.

The current categories

Best Graphics & Artwork
The game you feel has the best graphics. (In general, this category should favor original artwork over ripped or commercial graphics)

Raddest Setting
The game you feel had the most clever, inventive, interesting and immersive setting/world for the game to take place in.

Best Sound & Music
The best soundtrack and creative use of sound.

Trippiest Game
The game that was most strange, bizarre, psychedelic, offbeat, and quirky released this year.

Most RTP Game Award
The game that best uses the engine's default resources.

"Lawsuit Waiting To Happen" Award
The most non-chalant use of rips in a game.

Best Game Title
The most clever, original, witty, or cool game title of the year.

Best Storytelling and Direction
The project you think is most effective at telling its story. Think in terms of its presentation, writing, clarity, cutscene direction, and originality.

Best Protagonist/Characters
The game that had the best lead or cast.

"Kefka Award" Best Antagonist
(Antagonist means 'Villain')

Best Shyamalan
Game with the most twists or the most mind-blowing twist.

Best Intro
Which start of a game hooked you the most?

Best Finale
An ending can make or break a game. Which game had the best ending?

The "How the Hell Did They Do That?" Award
The game that displays the most technical prowess and feats of ingenuity in gameplay.

Best Gameplay Balance
The game with the most solid and balanced implementation.

Best Dungeon/Level/Puzzle Design
The best stages/dungeons or cleverest puzzles.

The Most Boss of Fights!
The game that delivers the best battles and challenges.

Best Fan-Game
Self-obvious.

Most Fun And Addictive!
The game you had the hardest time putting down.

Best Old-School Game
A game so good it reminds you of the Golden RPG-era.

Sleeper Hit of the Year
The most underrated game of the year. The game everybody hears is good but nobody has bothered to play.

Most Promising Demo
The demo released this year you think has the most potential to be amazing.

Game of the Year
The absolute best game you played from RMN for the current year (any genre).

The official nominations are in.
I made a playlist of the nominations here:

https://rpgmaker.net/users/kory_toombs/playlists/75913/

Voting:

https://rpgmaker.net/misaos/2017/vote

More people need to actually play Neon Lightning Force.
SunflowerGames

author=Dyhalto
More people need to actually play Neon Lightning Force.

Yeah, that's a low download count. I'm still the only person to review it.

I want to also remind people that GOTY is not the only category out there. We need to nominate for more obscure categories too. Last year we only got one nomination for best RTP game. So if you know some games that use mostly RTP and are decent feel free to suggest them.

To get nominated a game needs 2 nominations. So you don't need to all go jumping into nominating one game. If you know a game already has enough nominations it might be nice to throw a nomination somewhere else.

Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
I guess Amort could grab something.
Rezident Evil: It Is Escape too.
Chronicles are already there.
Quest Questers are a gem from unity
Joanna from Gredge is a cool demo.
Same goes for Betwixt
Faxanadog is a gem from Sooz
Sideways was an interesting game that happened to be released in January

There should be quite a few late entries from IGMC/Revive 2
Puddor
if squallbutts was a misao category i'd win every damn year
i predict...squall's butt

edit: hey, completely and absolutely unrelated but i have a game idea
SunflowerGames

Thanks to Cap_H we have a wide variety of categories covered in these nominations.
Remember not all of these have to be GOTY material.
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
If Lobster Quest does not at least get nominated for the Lawsuit award I will feel personally slighted.
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
author=Sooz
If Lobster Quest does not at least get nominated for the Lawsuit award I will feel personally slighted.

It's my most nominated game.
SunflowerGames

Maybe Sooz can get a best title nomination? That's an easy one to do. Only need to look at game titles.

I'm still looking for some best RTP contenders here. Last year we only got one nomination.
Magi
Resident Terrapin
The best thing about dragon fantasy tsufanubra is that it looks/feels like a game I would have played from Gaming World in 2005.
I remember when Dragon Fantasy was actually featured on the temporary GW blog thing, and there was a direct download for it as well?

(we should pretend its 2005 and have a throwback misaos)
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
The World is Destroyed and It's All Because of You seems like a "Best Game Title" to me.

*Edit: Faxanadog is pretty well up there, too, though.
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
author=Marrend
The World is Destroyed and It's All Because of Youseems like a "Best Game Title" to me.

*Edit: Faxanadog is pretty well up there, too, though.

I'm gonna say the former is really obviously better.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
Dream Quest is another that should end up getting SOMETHING.

I second Faxanadog. I really liked The World is Destroyed and It's All Because of You, but I don't really think it's quite up there with a lot of the other titles mentioned here, to be honest. Amort, Faxanadog, Dream Quest, and Quest Questers are definitely higher on my list.
Ahh it's that time of the year that I remember how few games I've actually played. >.<

Amort had a good aesthetic about it, Lobster Quest deserves something.

I'm really proud of Mechanima still and I think others liked it. Th-that was this year, right? XD

I can't think of any fan games this year off the top of my head. Slowly gathering a list of games people mention here so that I can try them out.
In no particular order...

Complete
Quest Questers was a fun one~
Hakuda's Wife Visiting was an interesting horror game.
A Most Inconvenient Evening has the sassiest dragon ever~
Chronicles of Tsufanubra came out this year (and was pretty damn epic)!
Umbral Soul deserves the stars it got.
The World is Destroyed and it's All Because of You is a pretty lovely looking game~
Sideways is cool as fuck.
Heroine's Quest is pretty fucking amazing, actually.
Prom Dreams had an update this year.
Fairie Krystal was cute and fun.
Amort was interesting.
Neon Lightning Force was pretty awesome.
A Drop of Life was pretty great.
Shini Sou was neato burritto.
Dwoemer of the Drill Faced Goddess was incredibly memorable!
The Ranch had some pretty interesting gameplay and visuals.
Cursed Crown was pretty good.
Dream Quest is definitely a good pick too.
Colors: Lost Memories is pretty nice.

Demo
Fear and Hunger got a demo!
Monster World Legends is pretty cool!
Phantasia 6 barely made it in time to qualify.
Fire RMNblem was cool beans.
Cast Ashore was really neat retro.
Betwixt looks very swish~

Commercial
Shadows of Adam
Legrand Legacy
Toymaker
Virgo vs the Zodiac
Heartbeat
I do not want to be that guy, (so I apologize in advance)

…but I feel like this is important when considering misaos nominations:

Neon Lighting Force is a game made in OpenBOR

05/24/2017 02:32 AM

author=Link_2112
...For those who don't know this is made in OpenBOR. So it's kind of like making a game in SMBX engine and then being praised for having pretty good Mario physics. It's a smooth beat em up, yes, but that is the engine. This is a reskin essentially.

It also liberally borrows it's graphics from Denjin Makai/Guardians

a series of arcade games made by banpresto that was released for the arcades and super famicom.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guardians_(video_game)

https://youtu.be/u2UEhuizQbc?t=9m20s

HG101 Article -
https://web.archive.org/web/20130922043525/http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/denjinmakai/denjinmakai.htm

Sprites

If Neon Lighting Force is going to be considered for misao nominations, it should win on it's own merits, while people are fully aware of what this game actually is before voting. Because everyone here works very hard on their games.

I do not think it would be fair for a game to win the Best Graphics & Artwork when those graphics from said game, were made by an entirely different development team from 1996.

...But I do believe there is a considerable amount of skill and effort involved when porting an already existing creative work, into an entirely new and different engine and this should be awarded accordingly.

(I'm just pointing this out because Denji Makai is a pretty obscure beat-em-up game and those who aren't aware of it, should be, when voting on Neon Lighting Force for the Misaos)
author=Liberty
A Most Inconvenient Evening has the sassiest dragon ever~

I always meant to get to this one! Plus, sassy dragonas are a must!

Fear and Hunger has always been on my list too, I forgot about its demo! ;w; I'll check out Heroine's Quest since it got a glowing review from Libby. :P
Joanna/@JRL got mentioned twice? Joanna got mentioned twice! That is so awesome! I never thought people had eyes on it, it has very few downloads and only exists as a demo.

As for my own nominations, I'll have to send in my predictions later. I've been super busy and haven't gotten time to play any RPG Maker titles lately. Thanks again for the mentions!
SunflowerGames

@LordBlueRogue = Neon Lightning Force is in a unique position because it's the only game made with that engine on RMN. But you can't just take something and copy it and hope for a game everyone likes. There is still a bit of effort to make it good.

For example, if you look at my Zelda game. It's the only game made with that engine on RMN and it obviously takes stuff from another Solarus game. But because of some design flaws it wasn't well received. Good design and implementation is important. You can't just expect to imitate something else and hope it does well. That's my opinion and experience anyways.

@Liberty = Wow that's a lot of stuff there. Good job. That might take me some time to go through to add to the initial post.