ANYBODY GOT TIPS ON HOW TO STAY FOCUSED ON MAKING PROJECTS?

Pages: first 12 next last
One of my major flaws is not staying focused, I keep getting caught up in my thoughts and other things that I tend to drop things and focus on other things.
This is one of the reasons why I haven't finished a single game yet, its not that I don't have interest in the game I'm working on, because I always desperately want to make a game, and have a clear vision on what I want to do. But can't stay focused enough to work on the game.

Anybody got any pro strats or tips to help stay focused? I will greatly appreciate it.
Yanfly made a great comic series about the workflow and I almost do the exact same: http://yanfly.moe/comics/

Now the question is like, I have no idea what your vision for your game is like but I think once you have a "base" it's easier to tweak it based on what you want to do and just nail the gameplay you're aiming for.

But, just assuming you're the same as me and I have a very specific mood and vision that I want to do. Focus on a workflow that gives you some form of gratification and keep your expectations low.

So as an example, I am working on a huge project with custom graphics... alone. So what I did is create a general list of what I have to do, even if they look intimidating. Trello and/or Wunderlist are great for this. After that, I would create subsections inside that list to tell me what needs to be done before I can do it. Now I will focus on those subsections. Just a rough example:

1.) Write a new draft for the game's plot.
--- Write a short summary of the game. Beginning, Middle and End.
--- Gather some music that perfectly describes what I'm aiming for and something I would use for the game itself.

2.) Create a style for the game.
--- Determine color palette (remember: twilight hours)
--- Determine game perspective
--- Determine all the areas needed for that game. (e.g. Do I need grass tiles, etc.)
--- Create character sprite style.

And this is just a rough example, but they have very clear and small goals. A lot of them I finished in one day. Some took longer than expected. It took me 3 days to create a color palette. But what matters is that at least I work on it 1 hour a day and since they're so small I can trick my mind that I'm getting closer to the end goal.

I dunno if this is helpful for you but that's how I tackle my bigger projects lately.

As for released games, what we did is create a bunch of maps and some gameplay ideas. Then I fill those maps with a story, the database characters with personality and backstory and it snowballed from there. It's simple but effective.
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
Deadlines. After enough of that, it eventually becomes habit.

If you still can't manage... IDK, maybe get screened for ADD or something? That might be a thing.
author=Sooz
Deadlines. After enough of that, it eventually becomes habit.

If you still can't manage... IDK, maybe get screened for ADD or something? That might be a thing.
This is very effective but if it still doesn't work and you want to take it to the next level, create a schedule. For example, if you want to work on the game for say 6 hours a day from 12:00PM to 6:00PM, write it somewhere you can easily see. The wall beside your computer, a whiteboard, your desktop even.

What it does is that it constantly reminds you that you have to work and when it's time to work, you get more focused because it's the only time you would work on the game, instead of it getting spread out due to getting distracted.

It works for me.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Uh... My go-to method is to have two active game projects that I'm making, so that when I become unfocused and wander off to do something else, at least it's still game design. I'm not sure this is a good method, since I procrastinate the hell out of all my games that people might actually want to play, but at least it results in UOSSMUD getting worked on a lot.
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

I find that spending 5-10 MP helps me get focused :)
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
Try the Pomodoro time management method:

First, decide on a small task want to accomplish for your game. Then, set a timer for 25 minutes. During those 25 minutes, remove ALL distractions (social media tabs, Youtube, Discord, and even *sobs* RMN, etc.) and focus on that one AND ONLY one task; Fill out a section of your design doc, pixel a series of sprites, writing a scene, whatever. Just one thing. Don't stop working for any reason.

Once those 25 minutes are up, write down what you've done somewhere to keep track, then set another timer for 5 minutes. This is your break period. Get up, walk around, breathe some outside air, and anything else that DOESN'T involve looking at your computer screen. Once those 5 minutes are up, set another timer for 25 minutes. Repeat.

Once you've completed 4 cycles of work, set your relax timer to 15-30 minutes. After that long break, repeat the 25:5 work/relax ratio cycle another 4 times.

What you're doing with this is training your brain to learn when to focus and when to relax. Getting your body into a natural workflow will help immensely with concentration and help prevent losing focus. Seeing the list of items you've accomplished during that time will also help with motivation, as you're constantly ticking items off your to do list, regardless of size. Those small check marks will add up quickly, and you'll find you've been a lot more focused and productive than you thought possible.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pomodoro_Technique

EDIT:

author=Sooz

To color my previous post: I have serious ADHD and require pills to keep my brain from literally shutting down when working on a task. While ADHD is most certainly a thing you should check if nothing seems to work for you, understand that pills aren't the ex Machina you may want them to be. On days where I forget (heh) to take my meds, I still have a list of smaller tasks I can accomplish that don't require serious brainpower. The Pomodoro method works especially well on those days, since I have an outside influence guiding me through my tasks, and I can do work without thinking too hard about it.

I'm not saying Sooz was even implying that pills were the only solution. I just want to say, from firsthand experience, that there is always something you can do no matter what.

EDIT2: Of course, I can only talk about my own experience with ADHD. I obviously don't speak for everyone, only for myself and what I found that works for me.
I wrote a few articles, but nothing is terribly concrete.

So you want to be a game developer? https://rpgmaker.net/articles/802/
How to Procrastinate https://rpgmaker.net/articles/1141/
The Phases of GAM MAK https://rpgmaker.net/articles/1145/
Game Development Project Management Using Spreadsheets https://rpgmaker.net/articles/1413/

In addition to some of the tricks posted here, another is to make yourself publicly accountable. Post your goals in a blog or the What you working on? thread publicly. This helps give added incentive to your plans - it's easier to break a promise to yourself than it is to others (even relative strangers), so by stating your goals publicly you are more accountable to them. Keep things reasonable, though. Guilt can be crushing, too.
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
Really good advice in here.
halibabica
RMN's Official Reviewmonger
Those Yanfly comics should be mandatory reading for anyone who uses RPG Maker. Like, f'real.

Best advice I can add on this subject is to think about your project ahead of time. Sitting down with no plan and no inspiration can leave you feeling wishy-washy. If you think about what you'll do later, it'll be easier to focus because you'll already have a target in mind. The more detailed your thoughts, the easier it will be to approach when the time comes.
author=Archeia_Nessiah
Yanfly made a great comic series about the workflow and I almost do the exact same: http://yanfly.moe/comics/

I've never seen those before! Thanks for sharing!

author=kentona

I quite enjoyed this one, too. It reminds me of the quotation: "You're never completely worthless -- you can always serve as a bad example." In the case of the article, that's a good thing.
author=kentona
I wrote a few articles, but nothing is terribly concrete.

So you want to be a game developer? https://rpgmaker.net/articles/802/
The Phases of GAM MAK https://rpgmaker.net/articles/1145/
Game Development Project Management Using Spreadsheets https://rpgmaker.net/articles/1413/

In addition to some of the tricks posted here, another is to make yourself publicly accountable. Post your goals in a blog or the What you working on? thread publicly. This helps give added incentive to your plans - it's easier to break a promise to yourself than it is to others (even relative strangers), so by stating your goals publicly you are more accountable to them. Keep things reasonable, though. Guilt can be crushing, too.

I like the publicly accountable part... I even signed myself up for Games Con to show the game to the public just to add pressure lol :) It's working!
author=halibabica
Those Yanfly comics should be mandatory reading for anyone who uses RPG Maker. Like, f'real.
Yes and the comics contain valuable advice to build RPGs in any engine.

author=kentona
make yourself publicly accountable.
The anti-procrastination initiative was exactly that! It worked really well for me.
halibabica
from Irog
from me
Yes and the comics contain valuable advice to build RPGs in any engine.

Indeed, but RM's accessibility makes newbies particularly susceptible to these common pitfalls. It's an epidemic, I tells ya!
O M G ... reading that comic was like like when my brother showed me the book that explains screenplay structure. I will never make a game the same way again...
HERO receives Motivation +10
Sooz
The Yanfly comic is broadly good advice, but lord is it a bad comic. -_-
halibabica
I get the feeling it wasn't made for entertainment purposes. ;3

But yeah, I'd criticize it for a few things, but I think it accomplished its purpose well enough.
StevieRayBones
I refuse to grind with monsters I've just met for money.
I think u really just need support...ppl who dig your niche, ya know. They tell you what they like or Don like. That keeps you going..
StevieRayBones
I refuse to grind with monsters I've just met for money.
AI think u really just need support...ppl who dig your niche, ya know. They tell you what they like or Don't like. That keeps you going..
One of my biggest problems was turning every idea into a new game that never got finished. My tip is to try and incorporate any new ideas into one project, rather than starting a new project for every new idea/concept.

In my rm2k3 game Lasting Dreams which used RTP graphics, I had the urge to create an 8-bit atari style game. Instead of starting a new project, I added a house in the game where the player can use a PC to boot up an atari style mini game.

If you have some new story you want to tell, maybe it can be a side quest or different chapter rather than starting a new project.

If you're not motivated to work on a project, then you're just not motivated. Who cares? As long as you didn't take a bunch of money from a Kickstarter campaign or something like that, then there's no reason to "work" on anything. I don't think you should have to force yourself, or turn game making into a chore. Just have fun, make goofy little projects. Start things and never finish them. As long as you're having fun, that's all that should matter.
Pages: first 12 next last