[POLL] BATTLE OF FINAL FANTASY LEADING MEN, FF7 & FF8!

Poll

Battle to the death, CLOUD vs SQUALL! - Results

CLOUD
56%
SQUALL
43%

Pages: first 1234 next last
To be clear, this **ISN'T** about which game is better. Now that we're all clear on that....let begin shall we.

So I was playing FF7 and my buddy randomly said....Squall is better. I was like "Oh hell no." He claims Squall would win in a battle to the death with Cloud, here's why I disagree. Bare in mind, these are just my opinions, you're aloud to have your own even though you're clearly wrong if you disagree....just kidding of course :)

1. Cloud is better trained for combat.
2. Cloud has a wider variety of things he can use in the fight.
3. His Buster Sword is large and surprisingly light weight, making it a deadly very deadly weapon.
4. Cloud grew up/lived in far worse conditions then Squall. That could mean he learned to deal to with tougher situations that Squall likely would not have been faced with.

Here's the reasons he says I'm wrong.

1. Squalls Sword may be smaller, but it's also a gun.
2. Squall may be able to take advantage of Clouds mental health issues.
3. He argues that my number 4 reason for Cloud could also work agaisnt him.

Now our conversation was much longer then this, but this is more or less the gist of it. What do you all think?

InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
Zidane would win.
author=InfectionFiles
Zidane would win.
author=InfectionFiles
Zidane would win.

LOL, but seriously though....who of these two would you pick?
Squall died in disc 1 and the entire rest of the game is his hallucination
author=bicfarmer
Squall died in disc 1 and the entire rest of the game is his hallucination

Let me re-phrase then, he was speaking as in if they could fight at each characters respective prime, who would win?
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
author=Sooz
Tonberry

The one from FF6 still gives me nightmares!
well, cloud has huge blond hair so he's already basically goku, especially with those disproportionately huge, powerful biceps and forearms. the sheer angles of his rugged, low-poly body would also be able to deflect the bullets from squall's gunblade.

and that's assuming squall even tries to fight. i mean, we all saw that mini-game/cutscene, so we know that scrawny, grainy-lookin fuck can't even throw a proper punch anyways. he'd probably just stand there shrugging and going "... whatever" while waiting for his GirlFriend to show up and do the fighting for him while cloud spams beta over and over again as a subtle hint as to what he thinks of him as a man

but it'd probably be a tie b/c they'd both just have a sudden aneurysm and get stuck in some dumb dream sequence
a gun sword is a stupid idea and a large sword like clouds would be ineffective compared to a normal sword,so none of them would have a edge in weapons. They both have mental issues, but squall issues are less severe. cloud was genetically altered for fighting, squall in the other hand is not. squall killed ultimatia which is a stronger opponent then sephiroth, so the fight would be very close.
Squall DOES have psychological issues. If anything he and Cloud share some of the same problems. Their behaviours stem from different traumas, but both dudes are introduced as loners who act aloof and push people away to protect themselves.

There's a whole thematic thing in FF 8 about children traumatized by war...?

Anyway I am picking Cloud because he seems to have more crazy anime sword moves than Squall, so could pull some weird combo out of his ass in a pinch.

my headcanon:

CLOUD: "Let's mosey."

SQUALL: "...

Whatever."

I feel like me and the resident squall fangirl here are the only ones who voted for squall.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
If we're talking about how they fare in Dissidia, or like title, I forget. It's been a while since I've played it. Though, like any fighting game, I think it depends on who's controlling which fighter?

If we're talking about how they would fare against each other if they were constrained by the limits of the games they came from, well, I dunno. There are items in FF8 that can induce invincibility, which is a huge advantage over anything Cloud can do to Squall. I think the only thing that could beat that would be is if Cloud had an Omnislash at the ready as an opening move, as Limit Breaks in FF7 have an exceptionally low wait-time, or have a higher priority, than other actions.
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

Squall did have better training with a sword and at fighting. Cloud didn't even pass Soldier right? Squall spent years training at the garden to fight. Though it speculative as to the type of hands on training Sephiroth could have personally handed down to to Cloud. Squall also has a gun inside his sword. So couldn't he just stand back and shoot Cloud in the head (in real life one shot kills someone.) How realistic are we going here?

As to magic they both have access to quite a large variety of spells. Both games have Ultima, so this is pretty even. Though the materia system does allow comboing some cool effects like double casting. And Squall gets weaker if he uses a certain spell as they are tied to his stats. So maybe Cloud does have an advantage with magic.

Summoning. Knights of the Round is a no question game ender.

Party support. Squall is surrounded by other people who trained at the same school as he did. Not only are they like family, but they would support each other very efficiently. Cloud is surrounded by terrorists, flower girls, and vagrants. Not a very cohesive team in terms of the military mentality of of FF 8.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
The theory behind gunblades, at least from what I understand of FF8, isn't so much that there is a literal gun attached to the blade. There is a trigger, though, and it causes the blade to vibrate. If timed right, this vibration deals additional damage, or maybe it causes an explosion, and that's what's dealing the additional damage? I will have to be forgiven on this point, as this is not a matter that I've studied with any great detail.

*Edit: FF7's Knights of the Round is absolutely a killer summon, and takes forever to animate. The same is true of FF8's Eden. KotR might beat Eden in terms of raw damage (thirteen (or so) desperate instances of damage versus Eden's one instance), however, they both break five digits, easily.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
It vibrates, and IRL, it doesn't work as the vibrations would do absolutely no damage in addition to the cutting (Skallagrim has a video on it). Actually, the gunblade was supposed to fire bullets (there are real gunblades, after all), but the barrel couldn't be seen in the sprite art and so how it's supposed to work was changed for the game. My vote's on Cloud. His limits are more powerful, anyway.
Now I never finished FFVII and never played FFVIII. can I still vote?
author=kentona
Now I never finished FFVII and never played FFVIII. can I still vote?

Yes but you gotta ask yourself

Would you vote against him?
Pages: first 1234 next last