INSPIRATION

Pages: 1
StevieRayBones
I refuse to grind with monsters I've just met for money.
What games/books/movies inspire your work the most?
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
You first.
StevieRayBones
I'm inspired by psycholical films like eraser head, the black swan, Requiem for a dream, and more. My favorite kind of movies are the ones that make u think and speculate. I think it's cool to see how the kind of characters,moods, and themes fit in a RPG universe. I also draw inspiration from some Stephen King: It, the Shining, and the Secret Window, to name only a few.

My favorite game is Final Fantasy 7, but I'm not aware of drawing any specific inspiration from it. I think playing it just makes me want to create. For 1 project I've drawn inspiration from Link in Zelda and Ryu in Breath of Fire. I drew inspiration from them in that they are silent heroes. I thought about how quiet ppl I've known have somewhat reflected the environment they're in and thought it would be cool to create a silent hero that reflects a darker environment.

Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
The Matsumori series was initially inspired by Shin Megami Tensei Persona 4, and a long-forgotten game-idea that never really had a name to begin with. The second game uses ideas taken from Summoner, a game my brother made back in 2002 that was never released, and has been lost to the depths of time. The last game runs off of Kolchak: the Night Stalker.

Uchioniko took off from a little bit of Magic Knight Rayearth (or, at least, a probably-translated SNES ROM from that property), and Sailor Moon.

Okiku, Star Apprentice, takes some inspiration from Wild Arms 2. Specifically, the Fire Rod tool that Lilka has.

I proudly wear my Wing Commander Privateer inspiration for Myriad Cypher on my sleeve.

The idea for Oracle of Askigaga initially came from wanting to get over certain personal issues. Not really sure if it worked, but, I don't want to speak openly about it.

Nakaishi Wars was a little bit of Gundam Wing and a little bit of Star Trek.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
Games:

Advanced Dungeons & Dragons 2nd Edition, and Forgotten Realms.
Final Fantasy (including Kingdom Hearts)
Dragon Warrior (Quest)
The Legend of Zelda
Space Rogue, Wing Commander: Privateer, Privateer II: The Darkening
Knights of Legend (an old Apple II game)

Film and TV:

Blade Runner
The Lord of the Rings
Star Wars
The Last Unicorn
The NeverEnding Story
Metropolis
Planet of the Apes
The Six Million Dollar Man
The Bionic Woman
The Incredible Hulk
Voltron: Defender of the Universe (or BeastKing GoLion)

Literature:

The Dune Chronicles
The Song of the Lioness
Harry Potter
Lord of the Rings
The Chronicles of Narnia
Dracula
Frankenstein, or the Modern Prometheus
The Last Unicorn
The NeverEnding Story

I could probably go on and on and on and on.
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
author=pianotm
Dracula

More like Draculowns o/\o
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
Night of the Living Dead and Dawn of the Dead!
Sooz
As for my own inspo...

Games
Faxanadu and Crusader of Centy are probably my earliest influences. Abadox as well, to a lesser extent.
Silent Hill and Silent Hill 2
Link to the Past
Most recently, Her Story became a huge revelation for me.

My biggest RPG influences are Phantasy Star IV and Tales of Destiny, and I am endlessly salty that they're not particularly well-known or popular. (Though admittedly ToD isn't actually that great.)

The Castlevania series up to Symphony of the Night is a fairly big aesthetic influence, though I'm not super happy with its current form.

Books
TBH I'm not much of a book reader anymore, at least in terms of fiction; I like nonfiction a lot better for books, and I tend to prefer other narrative forms for my fiction.

That being said, Terry Pratchett was a big influence on me as a teen, as was LJ Smith. I'm also inordinately fond of Dracula. (I just bought a new addition to my collection of Dracula books and adaptations!)

Edward Gorey's stuff is a heavy influence, of course.

Obviously I've got a lot of inspiration from comics. Strangers in Paradise and Gold Digger are I think the earliest major influence, as well as Archie's Sonic the Hedgehog comics and Amethyst: Princess of Gemworld. More recently, I've gotten super into Marvel's old Tomb of Dracula series, which is a heck of a lot of fun. I also read a shitload of manga, though I don't think a lot of it really influences me. Exceptions are stuff by Urasawa, Mori Kaoru, and Morinaga Milk.

Movies
Movies are a little difficult... I can't think of any that are really directly influential on my work (at least off the top of my head), as opposed to just stuff I love to watch. Probably the old Vampire Hunter D movie. I have been getting a lot of general inspo from watching old Hammer horror movies!
StevieRayBones
author=Marrend
The Matsumori series was initially inspired by Shin Megami Tensei Persona 4, and a long-forgotten game-idea that never really had a name to begin with. The second game uses ideas taken from Summoner, a game my brother made back in 2002 that was never released, and has been lost to the depths of time. The last game runs off of Kolchak: the Night Stalker.

Uchioniko took off from a little bit of Magic Knight Rayearth (or, at least, a probably-translated SNES ROM from that property), and Sailor Moon.

Okiku, Star Apprentice, takes some inspiration from Wild Arms 2. Specifically, the Fire Rod tool that Lilka has.

I proudly wear my Wing Commander Privateer inspiration for Myriad Cypher on my sleeve.

The idea for Oracle of Askigaga initially came from wanting to get over certain personal issues. Not really sure if it worked, but, I don't want to speak openly about it.

Nakaishi Wars was a little bit of Gundam Wing and a little bit of Star Trek.

It's pretty cool to see how forgotten ideas and ideas in your brothers work can live again in your work.
Pages: 1