PEOPLE TRYING TO PUT TOO MUCH IN THERE GAMES.... LEADING TO AN UNFINISHED PROJECT!

Pages: first 12 next last
One thing I've noticed that at least to me is abundantly clear, when people have unfinished games it seems these games try to do too much like add too many features or whatever and of course this doesn't apply to just RPG Maker games, just fan/indie games in general. There's a fine line that is sometimes difficult to spot. Every developer wants to make a game that people will remember and look fondly on, but they also want to finish the game. A lot of people tend to have a bunch of fantastic ideas which in theory are great, but they try to put them all in one game which can lead to frustration and eventually an unfinished game. Sure that's not the only reason games go un-finished, but it undoubtedly can play a role. How do you guys feel about this?
Sometimes it's not even that they want to make a good game, but that they look at things they like in games and keep adding those in without realising that they're over-doing it. That the reason their favourite games don't have all aspects of their other favourite games is because too much is, well, too much. There has to be a balance.

Cutting things can be hard to do but it's really something you've gotta learn how to do when you're a creator of any kind. Just as a painter needs to learn how to balance white space, developers need to learn the same thing - balancing the empty with the full in order to create a more coherent piece.

Sometimes it's just really hard to figure out what to cut, especially if you have a lot of ideas that seem like they might work well together.
More often than not, it seems like sheer production values end up being a bigger game killer than scope when it comes to RM games. Every so often I'll run into a beautiful-looking project on tumblr and wonder if it will get finished or not. In a lot of cases, it becomes impossible for people to keep up that level of consistency for an entire game's worth of content.
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
It is called Feature Creep!
author=Liberty
Cutting things can be hard to do but it's really something you've gotta learn how to do when you're a creator of any kind.

Great point, adding to that. There's been projects of mine in the past, not necessarily all games. That I've had to cut stuff from and not want to continue that project due to it not being what I visioned at first. Even though I know, I had to cut said feature/part.
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
I know a lot about cutting things BTW. Just ask me if you ever need anything cut. I can do it. For a price.
unity
You're magical to me.
author=SgtMettool
More often than not, it seems like sheer production values end up being a bigger game killer than scope when it comes to RM games. Every so often I'll run into a beautiful-looking project on tumblr and wonder if it will get finished or not. In a lot of cases, it becomes impossible for people to keep up that level of consistency for an entire game's worth of content.

Yeah, I feel like a lot of it comes down to "What can I do consistently without getting burnt out?" I can go a long time on a project if I'm still enjoying the day-to-day work on it, but if I go too crazy with details, things can go bad XD
author=Sooz
I know a lot about cutting things BTW. Just ask me if you ever need anything cut. I can do it. For a price.

Does that include......people?
Sooz
If you have the scratch, I have the slash!
Personally I think it's more about discipline or whether or not I like an idea 3 months into the project. Idk if ambition is always the key thing that stops something from being completed because there have been projects with long development times and ambitious goals that do get completed in spite of that. It really does come down to "are you willing to spend a good chunk of your free time consistently without getting bored?" that will override even the biggest (or qualitative) of projects any day. (Edit: The exception are games that will take longer than your lifetime to complete solo)

It's either that or do a 48 hour gamejam game that you're not proud of I guess.
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
I've learned to cut things down and not keep adding. It's a good thing. And is something if you want to go back to later and work on it more that's an option.

I've been working on the same game for almost eight years, and I've actually stuck to the fucking plan from Day One.
I don't think it's totally feature creep's fault x_x
i lost count of the number of games on this site i played where the demo looked like it has triple A production values, and that demo was uploaded 5 years ago
author=bicfarmer
i lost count of the number of games on this site i played where the demo looked like it has triple A production values, and that demo was uploaded 5 years ago

A really good example of that (not on here, but still) is Final Fantasy Crystal Wings. Man did I enjoy that demo.... way long ago.
I prefer to err on the side of safety, and just cut out the entire project.

Also, you can't fall short in the end if you never get started.

author=unity
Yeah, I feel like a lot of it comes down to "What can I do consistently without getting burnt out?" I can go a long time on a project if I'm still enjoying the day-to-day work on it, but if I go too crazy with details, things can go bad XD

That's actually a great point. I need to remember to think like that. I tend to finish most of my projects, but only after experiencing serious burnout at the end. I think the only game I've completed that hasn't burned me out, is Archstone, and it was only a twenty minute game. It's also probably my favorite competed game.

Edit: Also, I tend to stop if I can't generate interest. I can make big projects and put a ton of work in, but if no one is interested, I just tend to give it all up.
author=Sooz
It is called Feature Creep!

Who you calling a creep, weirdo?
Sooz
author=kentona
Who you calling a creep, weirdo?

If I'm honest, most of the people on this site. And the internet.
can confirm, am feature creep creep
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
Sooz
If you have the scratch, I have the slash!

how much? he was a great user UNTIL HE STOPPED POSTING
I'm a bit confused what the original post refers to? Game content? Effort?

I don't think there's such a thing as putting "too much" work into a game. You'll always be improving your craft, which is an intrinsic reward. Unless you're talking about genuinely pointless features & content, that add nothing of substance to the experience.

Obviously it's much different with commercial games. If a significant budget is involved, that will inherently effect how developers think about project deadlines. (..But in the age of bare-bones titles with DLC galore, it's actually refreshing to play anything that feels like a fully fleshed-out experience...both indie or commercial).

Not counting my hiatus, I've worked on the same game for almost 4 years, but that isn't something I'd wish on other people. Over time, you develop an intuition for when something is "good enough" to feel satisfied with.

Very few people have finished a 30-hour opus in the RPGMaker (excluding Harmonic lol?). Unless your quality threshold is very low, it's probably not a realistic goal to have. A well-done 3-hour experience can be just as memorable and enjoyable.
Pages: first 12 next last