COMMERCIALS IN GAMES (WOULD YOU BE OKAY WITH THIS?)

Pages: 1

Beat a level? Have a commercial.

So as game companies continue to maximize profits and try to find new ways of generating more income for their respective games and studio branches, we’ve seen the rise and continuous use of such practices such as downloadable content (DLC), microtransactions, special edition perks – and the works. But one unexplored option that got me thinking (with a shred of distain) is the use of running commercial advertisements in games and during gameplay to generate even more revenue for these said companies. With such an obvious idea to obtain even more cash flow here…why haven’t some companies decided to explore this option?

With some games now having DRM restrictions that have to have the user online and connected in order to run certain games nowadays, this is definitely a possibly that game companies can now do because of online streaming and such. The ability to run advertisements during said intervals can definitely be achieved with current technology today, and it makes me wonder if this going to be the next implementation placed in order to generate more income space. Would the consumer base even be OKAY with this idea?

So imagine playing some classic Super Mario Bros. 3 that you downloaded for the Switch on the Virtual Console and after every single stage or two that you beat a commercial happens to pop up. Would you be okay with that? What about if a commercial pops up every fifteen minutes or so of playing the game…maybe in the middle of an epic boss battle - would THAT be okay!? Maybe you’re finally sick of all these commercials now and would rather pay an additional ten bucks in order to disable them for at least just the month. Would you be willing to pay that???

Personally, if this ever were to happen (god, I hope not), I wouldn’t even bother with gaming today; I would be SO done...! I already have to deal with tons of commercials running during a Canucks game that drives me to the brink of insanity every few days or so, I don’t really need gaming to do the same thing too…even if I do happen to pay some sort of fee to disable it for a while.

I guess my biggest concern in all of this is will there be a lot of people still playing games with this annoying implementation on? We already got people who don’t mind paying for microtransactions and DLC today – what’s to stop them for paying for disabling commercials or just dealing with them too? It’s a very, very slippery slope.

Anyways, lol – would you still play games with commercials running in them, even if there was a monthly fee to turn them off? Or would that now be the ultimate, last straw that turns gamers away for good.
This is already something that happens regularly in the mobile market, where you can watch ads for power-ups and boosts. Though in most instances I've seen, doing so is entirely voluntary.

There have been multiple "last straws" already. DLC was an outrage when it was first introduced and now it's standard. Microtransactions in $60 games were an outrage and now they're increasingly standard. Companies know there will be initial backlash for new forms of monetization but push them until we accept them as normal.

Will there be commercials in $60 games? Absolutely. It's just a matter of who decides to cast the first stone, and others will quickly follow.
Seriously, I hate this shit in mobile games and I would seriously not purchase that in a game I have to pay money for. Fuck that. Fuck that to hell.

Seriously, that kind of thing is very different to DLC and the like - the others are optional. Granted, it's a bit skeezy when it comes to stuff like release day DLC (why wasn't it fucking in the game, devs?) but putting ads in a game you paid money to own and play? No. That's the absolute straw.

There's gotta be a back breaking straw and that would be the one.

Now don't get me wrong, I don't hate things like mentioning coke or iphone or shit in passing, but when you actually play ads...? There's a reason adblock is a thing most computer-savvy people use religiously.

Will there be commercials in $60 games? Yes, it's very likely. Will it become a thing? Oh, I doubt that. I doubt that very, very much.
"will anyone have the gall to put advertising in games?"

yeah, nothing is sacrosanct.

if you use an android phone, DT Ignite is already in all your phones, with no option to uninstall them. it's exactly what it does.

Anyway yes, it will be like a game of Hearts, as soon as the first idiot slips a heart in, EVERYONE will be playing hearts next turn.
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
And on the pedestal, these words appear:
My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings;
Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Don't forget that advertisements ingame have been a thing for a while, just in the form of billboards in games and throwing shit on it. A quick google gave me this blog with a few examples. They aren't full-bore commercials like on TV or Youtube but I wouldn't be surprised if they showed up during loading screens in some AAA Watch Others Open Lootboxes for Gamerscore game.
I remember the first time I encountered in-game ads was in BF2142 where there were billboards that had ads for... I think like gaming headsets or something. I remember there was an uproar about them at the time. But aparently companies could buy adspace on those billboards in game. (Because I recall there being at least a couple that rotated and occasionally they were blank)

Sure it was a terrible thing but that kind of advertising is also kinda fun and somewhat unintrusive. (I mean before that I also assume I had seen ads in sports games. Usually there's a couple on the sides of the fields)

I don't like it when my game experience is interrupted by ads. But I don't mind it as much when it is as intrusive as product placement in movies (I mean it's funny to see the Peugeot logo in BR2049 and Mercedes on Batman's car in Justice League displayed prominently).

Basically it's never a positive thing. It will always be a bit detrimental, but like lootboxes there are terrible ways to implement it and then there are merely bad ways of implementing it.
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
Of course it wouldn't be okay in the sense that you beat a level or what have you and then an ad popping up.

I don't mind free to play games that have ads, like mobile games. I get that. But if I bought a $50+ game or he'll doesn't even have to be 50. If I bought a game and had ads then that would just be bogus. It would be like buying a movie and you get an ad every 30 minutes in between scenes.

All the DLC bullshit and the "hey this is an offline game but you have to have internet to start it or play it" is absolutely ridiculous and why I don't play modern games or buy new consoles etc
Well, there is one game where between-stage ads would make perfect sense... (ok, two, counting Asura's Wrath)

I mean, so long as the ads aren't too long/repetitive/generally obnoxious or risk the game getting stuck b/c it won't load, I guess I could see that as a better FTP thing than intentionally fucking the game's design so you can push micro-transactions on people. I don't have a mobile device so I don't know how those games are doing it currently.

but obviously the real future is in having players opt-in to running a company's bitcoin mining program while playing the game :v
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
Commercial which are visibla (spots between stages) are ok in free games imho. If you pay for something (and it can be a cinema ticket or a game) you don't expect to have a fifteen minutes long commercial break as on tv, which is twice as louder than the rest of broadcasting.
I'm much more worried about product placement and other silent ads (and spying). But that's what we call progress! Playing games is a choice and you can always stop, when you see micro transactions, bad dlcs (some of them are regular expansions) and monetized demos like Metal Gear Solid Zero Grounds.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
I can kinda see commercials/adds replacing loading screens, actually.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
author=Addit
With such an obvious idea to obtain even more cash flow here…why haven’t some companies decided to explore this option?
You haven't played a lot of free games, have you? Even before this became commonplace in mobile games, I can remember a lot of older online games doing this, especially web-based games.

I rememeber some 2D plane shooter game back in 2003-2004 where it would play a 20 second commercial at the end of every arena match. Except that it was in beta testing at the time and nobody had purchased the ad space, so instead of commercials it would play popular flash animations like badger badger badger mushroom and marvelous breadfish.
In addition to the mobile market, I've also seen some product integration, which is much more insidious. I'm looking at you, Cup Noodle scene in FF15.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
Marrend

This would literally be the only thing I'd be okay with, since hardly anyone does anything with loading screens anyway and even a commercial would be better than watching the void.
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
author=pianotm
Marrend
This would literally be the only thing I'd be okay with, since hardly anyone does anything with loading screens anyway and even a commercial would be better than watching the void.
Yeah, this isn't a bad alternative. But like, as long as the commercial placement made some sense to the game. I wouldn't want to see a mattress commercial while playing Gears of War. While a Doritos commercial would be okay (lol, Wayne's world) Since I like them anyways and like salty snacks while console gaming.

edit: And yeah, might as well use the loading screen if anything as it isn't exactly taking away any of your time. And it would be sorta better than seeing a loading screen you've seen a thousand times before like in Skyrim.

At the same time though as I'm typing this it could really bring you out of the immersion as well. Now say, Fallout loading screens showed you Fallout related merchandise, that would be okay.
Pages: 1