MASKING SPRITES

Pages: 1
I suppose that this is a complicated subject... I just can't think of how it's done.

How is masking done? Having two images overlap each other, and one image acts as a mask for another. Wherever a pixel on the masking image has an alpha value that isn't totally transparent, the masked image's corresponding pixel shows. But everywhere else, those pixels won't show. In this way, a sprite can itself become a viewport for another graphic.

This is typically done to show special effects only inside the visible area of a sprite.

I'm watching someone play a game called Pokémon Uranium, a game made in RPG Maker, and there's masking in that, so I know that it's possible. The pokemon are increasing their attributes, and this wavy graphics flows through their sprites.
Usually the best result for light effects it's add a image as additive,
it's like the image you put over, give the RGB positive values only
to the graphics below.

This it's a example I did in github about easyrpg and blending support in rpg maker 2003 (with the kazesui's blending plugin of dynrpg), newer versions support additive by default.

In rpg maker xp (example from spanish rpg maker xp btw)

There's also scripts in rpg maker xp for dynamic lights/shadows, maybe pokemon uranium used some one.

example

Mirak
Stand back. Artist at work. I paint with enthusiasm if not with talent.
author=gadesx
horee shitto
Hi, thank you, although it's not the programming problem I'm talking about. It doesn't have to do with creating light effects, but confining the visibility of an overlapping image to the visibility of another sprite.
Pages: 1