IS RTP BAD?

Pages: first 123 next last
Well, I'm making a game and I don't know how to make graphics for it... is using RTP something bad? I mean; will that put some players off, as they may think that I didn't put effort in the making of the game?
There are tons of opinions on this. It really depends on what kind of project you're making: Are you making a practice game? Something short for a gamejam? Something much larger and possibly commercial?

Virtually everyone has used the RTP at some point, and it's an excellent way to focus on the different intricacies of RPG Maker outside of your game's presentation, and is great for learning as you work towards making a more fully-fleshed out game.

Whether you should continue to use RTP graphics as you do so is a different story, and there are varying opinions about in this and other communities. If you eventually learn to make your own assets (something I personally encourage people to do) then moving away from the RTP is generally a good move. But if using stock assets works in favor of your production cycle, say if you're making a mega-project like Everlong and need to use stock assets in the interest of time, then there's certainly no problem there. Or if you just don't really care that you game will look like every other RTP game out there.
NeverSilent
Got any Dexreth amulets?
No, using RTP is absolutely not bad. The very reason it exists is so that people who are just starting off with game making have material to work with. Especially for a first game, relying on the RTP instead of spending time and/or money on custom assets is a good decision. At this point, focusing on designing good gameplay, honing your writing skills and getting to know the engine better is much more important. And if you do your best, there will always be people who can appreciate your game regardless of whether it uses RTP or not.

If you intend to reach a larger audience or even sell a game commercially in the future, that might be a good time to try and make the switch to assets designed for your game specifically. But that should never be something to go for until you've already completed a few projects. For now, make sure you don't get overwhelmed, and don't let anyone discourage you from working with what you already have. Best of luck!

I love playing RTP games, but the answer is yes. Someone on RMW said 'people judge a book by its cover', meaning that most people who see an RTP game will think its a poorly made first game. Which is too bad because some of the best games on this site use RTP graphics (like manifest, epic odyssey, etc.)

If you want to look better the biggest thing is to start getting custom tilesets and use them. I know I really want to do this too.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
I don't think the RTP, by itself, is bad. There are certainly ways to use it to make a game look bad. Such as having bland, empty maps. However, such issues are not limited to games that use the RTP.
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
Probably not, but check the expiration date to make sure.
The fact of the matter is this - RTP isn't bad however it is overused. If you want your game to have a unique look you'll either want to go fully custom or edit the RTP/asset packs instead.

That said, by itself it isn't bad - what matters is how it is used. Even a fully custom game will be bad if you have no idea how design a map well. Can a game look better if you use custom instead of RTP - sure, if you do a good job with the custom assets and have a modicum of ability when it comes to level design.

If this is your first game, however, there's nothing wrong with using the RTP assets that come along with it...* bar the default maps/database entries. There's a lot of games out there who take the lazy route and use those without change or with minor changes. If you're going to make a game, at least aim for your own game.

Personally, I find a game that uses the default database entries and maps worse than those who try and end up making unbalanced stuff. At least the person who attempted to make their own vision got some EXP from the creation and will learn.

* Far be it from me to say that it's a bad idea to use them beyond just the first game or so. You all know how I roll when it comes to RTP. XD
unity
You're magical to me.
RTP isn't bad. My first games were all RTP with minor sprite and tileset edits, which worked just fine and helped me learn the ropes of making games with RPG Maker.

Like NeverSilent said, this is a good chance to hone your gameplay and writing skills. If you can make a fun enjoyable experience with the RTP, you're well on your way.

As Sgt mention, you'll eventually need to consider if you continue to use RTP or not in future games. Until I joined this site, I would only modify the RTP in my games, but when I got VX Ace, I finally started trying making my own tilesets from scratch. It was really difficult, but I learned a lot, and it was a great experience!

No matter which way you go, I wish you the best in your game making journey ^_^
author=Liberty
Personally, I find a game that uses the default database entries and maps worse than those who try and end up making unbalanced stuff. At least the person who attempted to make their own vision got some EXP from the creation and will learn.

Is the default database entries really balanced? I haven't tried using it, but a quick look tells me that the Seraphim using the attack command will hit a fully geared Aluxes, Basil and Cyrus for 106 damage average while it will hit Gloria and Hilda for 487 damage average. It is implied that end game level is over 30 and at level 30, even Hilda has over 1700 HP. All fully geared characters becomes immune to the attack command from all default enemies if they get Gloria's Barrier spell cast on them. Enemy spells will be more effective, but physical attacks from them are a complete joke.

Anyway, I suggest making edits to the RTP if you want to use it. For example, I have merged the Woods and Mountain tilesets into one so that I can have woods with elevation and mountains with more treas.
No, not really. I'd say the only real downside to it is on a first impression when it comes to screenshots/videos. There is nothing to set it apart from the myriads of other rpg maker games that uses rtp (with a few exception, maybe really nice mapping or interesting dialogue). Which might make it a bit harder to grab some peoples attention.

I'd say the same goes for popular resource packs and such as well.

That said though, nothing bad with using it. Great if you're starting out. Or if your passion is in other parts of the game such as writing or tweaking numbers.
RTP is good for:

-Placeholders
-Generally looking good (quality artists and SFX)
-Proof of Concept
-Gaining EXP and Leveling your methods
-Attracting people who respect the Engine/RTP/the community around it
-Saving time/money

RTP is bad for:

-Having a Unique Aesthetic
-Attracting customers who are biased against RPG Maker
-Representing the TRUE effort of the dev (both 1-hour efforts and 40-hour efforts can look the exact same in screenshots)

The weight of each pro or con really depends on your intended audience.
Most of my stuff uses the RTP, because I am a terrible artist outside of very mild sprite edits.

Most of my stuff still averages about 4 stars in reviews (although none are eye-catching enough to hit the front page), so obviously you can still use the RTP and make stuff people will really enjoy.

So...The RTP is definitely not bad. It just doesn't make your game "pop" at all.

That said, if you're planning to sell the game, you really shouldn't use the RTP if you want to stand out and succeed.
to me, the RTP is only bad when ppl would rather use that, than put in any effort making their own custom stuff and creating a unique experience.

so often the RTP assets are used out of laziness, rather than purpose, and while it isnt wrong to rely on it for your first game and whatnot, it all depends on context, and should never be made commercial, unless you put in a lot of your own work.

script work by writing the story, adding events and so on isnt enough to give you the right to financially profit from RPG maker.
For me, it's not really bad, just less interested. But that also depends on the genre. If it's horror or puzzle games then I can take a look at them. I don't exactly know why, but maybe I get used to it. But, if it's RPG with battle system, I usually got less interested. That's because I like to play it in 2.5D or 3D much more, maybe? Or else the graphics need to be unique enough to pique my attention, and RTP is less likely to achieve that.
If it wasn't overused, then no. By themselves the art and sound included in the RTP is far from bad. However because they're overused so much it makes it hard to distinguish RTP games from each other, and it can be hard for your game to form an identity of it's own.

Making your own graphics is by far the best option, even if it's not very good at first, it's still your own. However if you just don't want to make art yourself, I'd still strongly advise you not to use RTP graphics. There's tons of free resources on the internet that are at your disposal.
This is a tough one, I have been using RPG Maker on and off since 2003 but I have never played a game with RTP. It comes down to the aesthetic to me, I don't think that there's anything particularly wrong with the RTP but to me it makes things look very boring and generic.

The thing I love most about RPG Maker is it gives anybody the ability to make their unique visions a reality without spending a fortune, but there's nothing unique about the RTP, there's no distinct developer voice with it and with no distinct voice I don't see the point in playing a game (and I am aware that I have have probably missed out on some great games because of that).

I would rather play a game with arguably bad custom visuals than with the RTP but I am probably in the minority in that regard. If you are new to pixel art start small and retro and you will improve over time. Nobody expects a masterpiece on the first try.
author=kentona
No.
author=Anaryu
Yes.

These answers don't really give any information other than your general opinion, without any reason for having that opinion. Saying nothing would contribute about as much.

Just a thought.
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
author=Pancaek
author=kentona
No.
author=Anaryu
Yes.
These answers don't really give any information other than your general opinion, without any reason for having that opinion. Saying nothing would contribute about as much.

Just a thought.

P. sure both answers were intentionally flippant and unhelpful for comedic effect. Much like mine.
Pages: first 123 next last