NET NEUTRALITY FCC VOTE

Remember that time that Verizon blocked Google Wallet because Verizon had a competing service? (ironically called 'Isis' (leading to this amusing quote in retrospect: "Verizon and the other major carriers are backing Team Isis. "))

http://money.cnn.com/2011/12/06/technology/verizon_blocks_google_wallet/index.htm
Verizon will make Google Wallet transactions operate at the same speed of bitcoin transactins, $20/transaction fee included!
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
author=OzzyTheOne
Oh no.
OOOOOHHH YESSSSSS
Infection! Your entire country is broken and full of sleaze. Fix it immediately!
InfectionFiles
author=Dyhalto
Infection! Your entire country is broken and full of sleaze. Fix it immediately!
I'm trying my best, Dy! I'm feverishly working on an old computer that's the size of a gymnasium trying to fix this issue!
OzzyTheOne
Future Ruler of Gam Mak
author=InfectionFiles
author=Dyhalto
I'm trying my best, Dy! I'm feverishly working on an old computer that's the size of a gymnasium trying to fix this issue!

Throw that computer at Ajit Pai, maybe that'll fix the issue.
InfectionFiles
author=OzzyTheOne
author=InfectionFiles
author=Dyhalto
It probably won't, but I'll run it by him since y'know all us Americans are in kahoots.
So maybe I'm missing something but instead of buying the site packages won't people just throw their money at VPNs or whatever ISP decide to respect net neutrality to be more attractive to consumers?
Solitayre
Circumstance penalty for being the bard.
author=Superstroke
So maybe I'm missing something but instead of buying the site packages won't people just throw their money at VPNs or whatever ISP decide to respect net neutrality to be more attractive to consumers?

A lot of places, especially poorer, rural areas, don't have multiple ISPs to choose from. You pay what Comcast tells you to pay or no internet.
author=InfectionFiles
author=Link_2112
I'm kinda over the internet anyways. It's not that great xD
The internet isn't what it used to be and I think a lot of us wouldn't see a difference.

Awesome things about the internet I can think of off-hand are the number of free resources for research/study & that the internet is a way for different groups of marginalized people who are discriminated against to find and support each other, & publish news and analysis that is not commonly, if at all, available in mainstream media.
InfectionFiles
author=suzy_cheesedreams
author=InfectionFiles
author=Link_2112
The internet isn't what it used to be and I think a lot of us wouldn't see a difference.
Awesome things about the internet I can think of off-hand are the number of free resources for research/study & that the internet is a way for different groups of marginalized people who are discriminated against to find and support each other, & publish news and analysis that is not commonly, if at all, available in mainstream media.
Dig deeper then. :D

It's gotta be rough to go to page 2 of google. God forbid.
My point was those quoted statements sound like you & Link are taking for granted what is pretty vital to other people, if only because of the apathetic tone.

An end to net neutrality means that potentially, ISPs can censor content they don't agree with. The ungodly labour of clicking to page 2 on Google is irrelevant when content can be blocked from access at all.

An example of Verizon attempting to do this in 2007

author=InfectionFiles
author=OzzyTheOne
author=InfectionFiles
author=Dyhalto
It probably won't, but I'll run it by him since y'know all us Americans are in kahoots.

You can't just give our secrets away like that shhhh...
author=suzy_cheesedreams
author=InfectionFiles
author=Link_2112
the internet is a way for different groups of marginalized people who are discriminated against to find and support each other, & publish news and analysis that is not commonly, if at all, available in mainstream media.

I actually wrote a research paper on this! The connection between marginalized communities and the internet is really strong. It'd be sad to see commmunities I'm a part of have an issue because of the end of net neutrality. :/
author=Gourd_Clae
author=InfectionFiles
author=OzzyTheOne
author=InfectionFiles
author=Dyhalto
You can't just give our secrets away like that shhhh...
author=suzy_cheesedreams
author=InfectionFiles
author=Link_2112
the internet is a way for different groups of marginalized people who are discriminated against to find and support each other, & publish news and analysis that is not commonly, if at all, available in mainstream media.
I actually wrote a research paper on this! The connection between marginalized communities and the internet is really strong. It'd be sad to see commmunities I'm a part of have an issue because of the end of net neutrality. :/

I live in the USA, and I disagree with Aijit Pai. I'd say beat the hell out of him with the computer, but what good would that do. I really hate him for this. The way everything has been going the USA doesn't deserve to be called the USA any more, or the land of the free.
Couldn't believe this was a "real" PSA and not an onion parody video. The FCC must think we're all mindless sheeple more than I ever imagined to actually swallow this stuff. It's actually kind of insulting, lol.

YOU CAN'T HAVE INFORMATION FREEDOM BUT DONT WORRY SNAPCHAT AND NETFLIX ARENT GOING ANYWHERE KIDs

Solitayre
Circumstance penalty for being the bard.
That is almost like if 'Let them eat cake' was in video form.
"What a fucking sack of shit" was tge first thing that went through my mind
author=suzy_cheesedreams
author=InfectionFiles
author=Link_2112
I was mostly being sarcastic, and you probably guessed as much, but my underlying feeling is that even in most of the good things on the internet you have bad seeping in. Trolls, people aggressively pushing their opinions and agendas, fucking ad's, MEME'S EVERYWHERE, banality(although that is subjective), the way it's shaping our society in a negative way. When I balance the good and the bad, I feel it comes out bad.

As an example, yes marginalized groups now have access to each other, but the people who want to persecute those groups now have access to ruin their lives in ways that weren't possible before. Many people's lives are literally ruined by the internet. Doxxing and such and so-forth.

Most people fight to make it a better place because it has such important uses, but I choose to be 'over it'. If the internet suddenly stopped working I wouldn't break down. Although I would miss talking to a few long distance friends :P and work would be harder. Maybe out of the ashes a new internet would arise! Cause we usually learn from mistakes, right?

If the internet suddenly became this fascist pay-to-win environment, it wouldn't affect me very much. The only real need I have for internet is email and chatting, neither of which requires speed and isn't going to get blocked for dumb reasons(even if it does, there are other means of communication for that). Everything else, I would probably just give up on or deal with the speed.

The internet itself is an amazing tool, but like everything else in society it gets warped. Things tend to keep getting worse and not better, and I may be jaded beyond salvation haha I grew up without the internet, and I would survive without it. I can imagine this being more important to the slightly younger generation.

I hope it turns out well though, I am FOR neutrality. Just in case that wasn't coming across heh
Comcast just announced they will maintain neutrality for their customers.

If this is true, kudos to them. They might elevate themselves out of being a generally detested provider.

We're already seeing individual states and companies take a stand against this, which is pretty gratifying.