HOLY CRAP, WHY ARE SOME GAMES SO HUGE??

Pages: first prev 123 last
harmonic
It's like toothpicks against a tank
MIDI isn't necessarily a dead format. It's just a language, and most modern DAWs (cubase, etc) can "convert" in and out of MIDI without a problem. I've actually done this just to get the notes in there, and then of course layer a VST on top of it for the sound quality you want.
Dragnfly
Beta testers!? No, this game needs a goddamn exorcist!
I think it depends on your project. If your game has loads of content, graphically or length, in the higher resolutions MV can do, it will likely be a big game. That's just kind of what happens when you have "more" of something. It gets bigger. That's why a 2L bottle of pop is bigger than a can.

Responsible compression can only go so far. RM games are getting bigger. Especially since fewer people are as restricted by file space and download speed. Heck, this morning I opened a 5TB hard drive (that's bigger than all the drives in my PC combined) and from the price tag still on it (LOL) the thing was $149cad. So I think less people feel inclined to put a lot of work into shrinking their games because the file size is less of an issue than it was back in the earlier days.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, about MIDI, you need to be careful using MIDIs nowadays because they're not recordings like mp3 or ogg. They'll sound different on different computers. None of the MIDIs I made back in the day even sound coherent anymore.
Pages: first prev 123 last