HOLY CRAP, WHY ARE SOME GAMES SO HUGE??

Pages: first 123 next last
now i am not as clueless as i sound on the topic name, i know it has to be the majority of the music files or the fact that making the game "standalone" REALLY makes the game downloads excessive in size.

but what i am creating this topic for is to discuss how we can combat this, as well as talk about how we here at RMN need to raise RTP Awareness, so that we can start seeing smaller game file downloads.

because i know it's there to draw new people into RPG Maker, but i think by now everybody who plays RPG Maker has the RTP files installed onto their PCs, and a little RTP Awareness would serve everyone better.

now personally i have over 80 gigs of saved RPGs that i have yet to go through, cause i like to collect games, so i have them even when the downloads become unavailable for any reason. *coughs* Cease & Desisting Fan Games *coughs*

so let's talk about raising RTP Awareness and if you would kindly HELP ME LOWER THESE FILE SIZES, i would appreciate it, i really need the help...

(my apologies for the caps lock segment, i only do those in circumstances that emphasize my distress.
There is a tutorial on how to turn off RTP requirement on this site somewhere.

However I have different problem. I don't know which sound files the default database uses, so I'm hesitant to trim the audio folder.
yeah, that's really tough to figure out, deleting even one song you weren't supposed to can crash the game, i guess you have to play the game through and make note of which songs you heard and delete what you didnt.

as for turning off RTP requirement, i dont know what you mean, the game downloads from most authors come with the RTP content included, i guess those of us who play and collect these games will have to simply play the games through and remove stuff that we didnt find, which is disheartening to think, cause that will be extremely difficult to pull off successfully.
How big is big to you? 200-400MB isn't that big for a game nowdays. The quality in graphics has gone up a lot from 2k/3 and that has added a bit to the size quality. People aren't using 8-bit graphic files anymore. Add ogg files to the mix, as well as sound effects, and yeah a game's gonna be a bit larger than the 20MB games of the past where midis were a thing. (Graphics doesn't just mean tiles and sprites - animation files, monster files, windows, etc)

bicfarmer was talking about a tutorial on the site that teaches how to use FullPackageFlag and the like to make it so that you don't need to include all the RTP files OR have them on the computer (as long as you include the ones used in the game, anyway). It's certainly one option, but even then some games just use a lot of sound, music, graphics and the like.
My biggest game so far is over 1,4GB. That doesn't include all the graphics for the game so I expect the filesize to climb to 1,5-2 GB at full release, depending on how complex the emotion busts become. This is very small in size for a videogame nowadays though, Tekken 7 is 61 GB.
unity
You're magical to me.
I try not to go over 300 MB myself, personally (my current project is around 180 MB at time of this post), but if I start developing for MV, I suspect that will go up, as the base files for MV are much bigger XD

I also have a huge folder of downloaded RPG Maker games, and I've only played like a third of them, so someday I'll have to go on a major clean-up deleting spree, but not anytime too soon, thankfully.

The biggest problem is when developers gather all the resources they think they'll need into their project and end up not using all of them. Its not a big problem unless they really go overboard, which I've seen happen more than it really should.
author=Tuomo_L
My biggest game so far is over 1,4GB. That doesn't include all the graphics for the game so I expect the filesize to climb to 1,5-2 GB at full release, depending on how complex the emotion busts become. This is very small in size for a videogame nowadays though, Tekken 7 is 61 GB.

...your game isn't fully 3D rendering with video files and full orchestral OST. It should not be that big if it's in RPG Maker. How many seasons of FRIENDS do you have in that thing?
author=Tuomo_L

Friendo, you might wanna consider compressing some of your audio assets. Since you're not even accounting for graphics, I'm guessing the majority of that filesize is uncompressed sound files.

The Steam version of Soma Spirits was about 220MB, and about 90% of that was audio files. If you've got tons of uncompressed songs that are all several minutes you might really want to consider slimming down. No RM game should be more than 400-500 MB tops, even ones made in MV.
Baby Got Map (Sir Mix-a-lot - Baby Got Back)

I like big maps and I cannot lie
You other mappers can't deny
That when a game comes with an itty bitty size
And a huge world in your face
You get sprung
Wanna pull out your stuff
'Cause you notice that map was stuffed
Deep in the tiles it's sportin'
I'm hooked and I can't stop starin'
Oh map, I wanna get on you
And take your treasure.

My homeboys tried to warn me
But that map you got makes me gamey
Ooh, map-o-smooth win
You say you wanna get in my RMNz?
Well, use me, use me
'Cause you ain't that average map, see
I've seen them postin'
To hell with just coastin'
Map's sweet, 'leet
Got it goin' like a turbo beat

I'm tired of new newbies
Sayin' small maps are the thing
Take the average gamer and ask him that
Game gotta pack much map
So, gamers! (Yeah!) Gamers! (Yeah!)
Has your game there got the map? (Hell yeah!)
Tell 'em to play it! (Play it!) Play it! (Play it!)
Play that massive map!

Baby got map.

(New age tile with a retro feel)
Baby got map.

I like 'em wide, and big
And when I'm playin' a gig
I just can't help myself, I'm actin' like an animal
Now here's my scandal
I wanna DL you at home
And ugh, double-up, ugh, ugh
I ain't talkin' bout 3D, boy
'Cause polygon parts are made for toys
I want 'em real thick and pixely
So find that pixel rubble
Map-a-Lot's in trouble
Beggin' for a piece of that pixel

So I'm lookin' at game videos
Lock-haired otakus talkin' like bros
You can have them 3D
I'll keep my maps like 2D
A word to the map barristas, I wanna get with ya
I won't fuss or ditch ya
But I gotta be straight when I say I wanna play
Till the break of dawn
Maps got it goin' on

A lot of simps won't like this song
'Cause them punks like to hit it and ragequit it
And I'd rather stay and play
'Cause I'm long, and I'm strong
And I'm down to get the pixel on
So, mappers! (Yeah!) Mappers! (Yeah)
If you wanna roll in my Let's Trys (Yeah!)
Then turn around! Post it out!
Even white boys got to shout
Baby got map!

Baby got map.

Yeah, baby ... when it comes to mappin', Call o' Duty ain't got nothin' to do with my selection. 3D FPS? Ha ha, only if she's completely free.

So your game rolls a bump-map, playin' with that texture crap
But bump-map ain't got a candle to the overlay on this map
My map pack don't want none
Unless you got tons, hun
You can do side scrollin' or mockups
But please don't lose that map

Some brothers wanna play that hard-mode
And tell you that the map ain't gold
So they toss it and leave it
And I pull up quick to retrieve it
So Kotaku says it lacks!
Well I ain't down with that!
'Cause your DL is small and your maps are kickin'
And I'm thinkin' bout stickin'
To the polygom dames in the fancy games:
You ain't it, Miss Thang!
Give me a big map, I can't resist that
Overlays, so tight, didn't miss that

Some knucklehead tried to dis
'Cause his games aren't on my list
He had game but he chose to quit 'em
And I pull up quick to get wit 'em
So mappers, if the map is grand,
And you want a 5-star throw down,
Dial 1-900-MAP-A-LOT
And kick them nasty thoughts
Baby got map!

(Little in the DL but she got much map)
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
- Convert your .mp3 files to .ogg, they sound pretty much identical, but around half the filesize.
- If you're creating an RTP-independent version, use a script/plugin that prevents the game from crashing over a missing resource. Ace users have Krosk's "unable to find" script.
- Resource search scripts, like Tsukihime's Resource Checker for Ace, can help you keep track of which resources you've used so you can avoid importing unnecessary RTP assets.
- Make separate RTP-dependent and RTP-independent versions of a game upon release, so players can choose to download the smaller version if they already have RTP installed.

None of these are foolproof, but they should help you cut down on unnecessary assets bloating a game's file size. Beyond that, well, the others are right in that 200-400 MB isn't really that big of a deal.
author=SgtMettool
author=Tuomo_L
Friendo, you might wanna consider compressing some of your audio assets. Since you're not even accounting for graphics, I'm guessing the majority of that filesize is uncompressed sound files.

The Steam version of Soma Spirits was about 220MB, and about 90% of that was audio files. If you've got tons of uncompressed songs that are all several minutes you might really want to consider slimming down. No RM game should be more than 400-500 MB tops, even ones made in MV.

No, it's not just audio. IMG folder takes 588 MB alone even now, while missing majority of busts and expansive cutscene graphics at HD resolution.

I don't know where you bring 500 MB tops at, Strangers of Power is over 400 MB (653 with Trancevania DLC) and it's a fraction of what the Adventures game is in size, length and content.
If large download size is a nuisance for you, simply report the issue to the developer. It's like any other issue, such as bugs and missing files, the developer can only fix the issues he/she is aware of. But, unlike bugs, file size issues will only be addressed if a significant portion of the player-base complains about it.
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
Size doesn't matter. You have to factor in girth.
author=bicfarmer
There is a tutorial on how to turn off RTP requirement on this site somewhere.

However I have different problem. I don't know which sound files the default database uses, so I'm hesitant to trim the audio folder.

author=TheGamingPaladin
yeah, that's really tough to figure out, deleting even one song you weren't supposed to can crash the game, i guess you have to play the game through and make note of which songs you heard and delete what you didnt.

as for turning off RTP requirement, i dont know what you mean, the game downloads from most authors come with the RTP content included, i guess those of us who play and collect these games will have to simply play the games through and remove stuff that we didnt find, which is disheartening to think, cause that will be extremely difficult to pull off successfully.

There's a program called RM Tool that you can use to delete any files in your game folders that aren't actually being used.

http://www.blog.rpgmakertimes.info/archives/rm2k3-tools/rm-tool-rm2k3/

Using this, you can move all of the RTP files into your game's respective folders, run the tool, and be left with only the files your game requires.
Dyluck
For thousands of years, I laid dormant. Who has disturbed my slumber?
For VX games and higher, graphics can take more space than you'd expect, even more so than the music. Battlebacks tend to take up the whole screen, and animation sheets have a lot of frames.

RTP might not always be the issue too. For example, my own game says "RTP included", but what it really means is just that it's been flagged to not require RTP, but the game itself doesn't actually include the whole RTP.
I hear some game downloads come with an episode of Friends

author=Tuomo_L
Tekken 7 is 61 GB.

bruh whut
I'm guessing 1/2 of that is DLC costumes? :v
InfectionFiles
I wish every download came with an episode of Friends. At least I would be entertained.
author=Dyluck
RTP might not always be the issue too. For example, my own game says "RTP included", but what it really means is just that it's been flagged to not require RTP, but the game itself doesn't actually include the whole RTP.

Games that require RTP are referred to as 'RTP not included', meaning you need to download an executable file containing the RTP and install it on your computer. If you dont have this executable installed, the game does not run and asks for RTP. Even if you place all the RTP files into that game's directory manually, it will still not allow the game to run. Fairly annoying for new players/random visitors/people unfamiliar with RPGmaker

Meanwhile, I've seen several games that do include the RTP meaning when you run the extractor it pulls out a bunch of unused RTP files while the actual game files are encrypted. It's pretty clumsy to have this RTP requirement system in the engine
InfectionFiles
I agree. When will enterbrain fix the need for RTP? No wonder it's so hated on top of the trash that people unfamiliar with the program have to go and download something to get a game to work. Most people don't take this extra step and just say "fuck it" because in reality the game isn't worth the time to get it working.
Dyluck
For thousands of years, I laid dormant. Who has disturbed my slumber?
author=bicfarmer
author=Dyluck
Games that require RTP are referred to as 'RTP not included', meaning you need to download an executable file containing the RTP and install it on your computer. If you dont have this executable installed, the game does not run and asks for RTP. Even if you place all the RTP files into that game's directory manually, it will still not allow the game to run. Fairly annoying for new players/random visitors/people unfamiliar with RPGmaker

I know that, but the OP was talking about the opposite situation, that too many game DO include RTP. I'm saying that some games that seem huge might not even actually include RTP, and are actually just using the flag method that some others mentioned about too.
Pages: first 123 next last