HOLY CRAP, WHY ARE SOME GAMES SO HUGE??

Pages: first prev 123 next last
author=bicfarmer
There is a tutorial on how to turn off RTP requirement on this site somewhere.

However I have different problem. I don't know which sound files the default database uses, so I'm hesitant to trim the audio folder.

You can always just trim the music (and import the tracks as needed) and keep all the sound effects.
author=turkeyDawg
I hear some game downloads come with an episode of Friends

author=Tuomo_L
Tekken 7 is 61 GB.

bruh whut
I'm guessing 1/2 of that is DLC costumes? :v

I don't own the DLC costumes.
hmm, i see... well if 200-400 MB is really that common i guess i wasnt that aware, at least the converting MP3 to OGG music files should make a dent.

as for you Tuomo_L, i am astounded that your project has breached a gig, i think this is the first time i have seen that with an RPG maker project, that has to be some sort of record.
author=TheGamingPaladin
hmm, i see... well if 200-400 MB is really that common i guess i wasnt that aware, at least the converting MP3 to OGG music files should make a dent.

as for you Tuomo_L, i am astounded that your project has breached a gig, i think this is the first time i have seen that with an RPG maker project, that has to be some sort of record.

My game is massive.
unity
You're magical to me.
author=Tuomo_L
author=TheGamingPaladin

My game is massive.

Out of curiosity, how many hours of gameplay is it?
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
I personally swear by the aforementioned Tsukihime's Resource Checker. Especially since I made some small hacks to it to find more files.

I don't see the RTP requirement for games that use it going away any time soon. What I might like to see in the future is, if you check the box that says "include RTP files", it performs an action like Tsukihime's Resource Checker, and only includes the files you actually use, rather than include all the files. I get that it's easier to include all the files, though.
author=unity
author=Tuomo_L
author=TheGamingPaladin

My game is massive.
Out of curiosity, how many hours of gameplay is it?

Bare minimum 8 hours missing all side content.

Not counting grinding.
author=Liberty
games of the past where midis were a thing.

If we all gather links to midi hosting sites or build midi archives, all developers would have access to compact music files.

Here are some links to start with:
http://charas-project.net/resources.php?wa=0&lang=en&area=17&howmany=10
https://vgmusic.com/
author=Irog
author=Liberty
If we all gather links to midi hosting sites or build midi archives, all developers would have access to compact music files.

would Midis be better than OGG in file size?
author=TheGamingPaladin
author=Irog
author=Liberty

Absolutely. Midis also sound like hot garbage though and can perform... weirdly, on modern operating systems sometimes.
author=TheGamingPaladin

Yes definitely!

This song in midi is 59 KB. In ogg it is 1972 KB. (33 times larger !)

Of course, midi has a retro style while ogg can reproduce symphonic orchestra.
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

author=bicfarmer
There is a tutorial on how to turn off RTP requirement on this site somewhere.

Yep (Don't need to pack with RTP / Person doesn't need RTP to run.)

https://rpgmaker.net/tutorials/1337/

Sound Effects and Animations are harder to get down than other files because its hard to know what you have used.

And wait until you guys get a load of the sizes of Visual Novel Maker games.
author=visitorsfromdreams
author=TheGamingPaladin
Absolutely. Midis also sound like hot garbage though and can perform... weirdly, on modern operating systems sometimes.
Yeah... I'm assuming the modern MIDI malfunctions are limited to engines like RM2k3 where it uses whatever your computer is set up to play MIDI with, rather than XP and onwards where it's played through DirectX.

Too bad RM never supported any kind of Module files :o

ps: I like those few RM games I played where they had audio music files that basically sounded identical to if they just left them as MIDI

off-topic, but
author=Tuomo_L
Tekken 7 is 61 GB.
turns out it's is mostly uncompressed, pre-rendered cutscenes. Cuz, yanno, people play fighting games for the story
hmm ok, sounds like i'll be converting XP soundtracks and everything above to Midis when they arent very symphonic, 2k3 soundtracks i'll just convert to ogg.

that should help file size greatly, thanks for the input everyone, i think i know what to do now.
Automatic converters tend to a poor job. You should look for files converted by a musician. That's the reason why we need to gather links to sites hosing midi made by musicians.
author=TheGamingPaladin
hmm ok, sounds like i'll be converting XP soundtracks and everything above to Midis when they arent very symphonic, 2k3 soundtracks i'll just convert to ogg.

that should help file size greatly, thanks for the input everyone, i think i know what to do now.

Yeah, you cant convert audio files to midi generally. Midi is a data format designed for keyboards mainly, its not a compression format, you would need to compose music from the ground up to be midi from within a midi based program (which are pretty rare these days because its a pretty much dead format).
author=visitorsfromdreams
author=TheGamingPaladin

Yeah, you cant convert audio files to midi generally. Midi is a data format designed for keyboards mainly, its not a compression format, you would need to compose music from the ground up to be midi from within a midi based program (which are pretty rare these days because its a pretty much dead format).

ah i see, did not know that, thanks for the heads up there.
You can save songs in midi format in the free version of Anvil Studio. And they are also recent open source alternatives like MuseScore and Sekaiju.
author=Red_Nova
- Convert your .mp3 files to .ogg, they sound pretty much identical, but around half the filesize.

How does one do that conversion? Can it be done in Audacity?
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
It certainly can. Just save the file type as .ogg and you're golden.
Pages: first prev 123 next last