GOT GOALS? (2018)

Pages: first 123 next last
New year, new you, right? Did you have any goals for yourself in 2018? Now is the convenient time to take stock, assess, and then forget about the promises you made to yourself in 2017.

GOALS 2018 ::..
1. Release Hero's Realm: heroic edition
2. Complete 3 Udemy courses on web development
3. Finish MOG sprites
4. Run Kids Design spriting event #2
5. Run MOG II resource creation event
6. Add features to RMN's codebase, and fix errors
7. Responsive Web Design (RWD) revamp of RMN
8. Tweet at least once every day, and also post New & Notable games regularly, for @rpgmaker twitter account

That's a decent sized list.

Things I regret:
-I still have not finished any of my planned projects started in 2013-present, but I did start a commercial remaster of Hero's Realm. So that's something.
-I still haven't even looked at my MOG graphics from 2014 in order to finish them.
-I haven't made time to work on RMN's codebase.
-Not finishing Befuddle Quest 7 :<

Things I am pleasantly surprised with/satisfied:
-my absence/lowered activity has made RMN a better place, as more competent and less dour people have taken over things I used to do (or neglected to do).
-I grew the twitter account from about 1400 followers to 1800+, mostly on a lark.

Things I wonder about:
-Where did Happy go? (the person, not the feeling)
-Would RMN memberbase resent a donation drive this year?

RECOGNITION ::..

To all of the staff of RMN, especially Liberty who has taken such an active role that people assume RMN is her site now, and ankylo, for keeping the site running and fixing things whenever asked. It is a thankless job. Everyone contributes a lot, and I am very thankful for that. I appreciate all of the work the staff does to keep RMN a happenin' place. And thank you, the person reading this, for visiting RMN and contributing!

MOTTO 2018 ::..
LET THE PAST DIE. KILL IT, IF YOU HAVE TO.
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
Don't die.
I would like to get something done for once
weird...I don't remember posting this in the Welp forum...
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
I was semi-serious, though! That's the resolution I make every year since I seem to attract near-death experiences.

But yeah, here's an actual serious answer:

GOALS 2018 ::..
1. Finish and publish Prayer of the Faithless.
2. Don't completely suck at streaming.
3. Learn video editing and make a decent trailer.
4. Look on other people's game pages, particularly blogs, and comment on them to encourage discussions.
5. Write an article or two about my time with commercial game development with the hope that others can learn from my experience (and mistakes!)
6. Market PotF better!
7. Improve my art, coding, writing, and marketing skills.
8. Be more interesting.

And of course,

9. Don't die.
1. Add finishing touches to Fire RMNblem and tag it as Completed. Shouldn't take longer than this month though, so that'll be a quick write-off.
2. Take another stab at finishing Valor Emblem? Because of physics and time, I don't think it's do-able, but I can certainly give it a valiant effort.
3. Get jacked! I let myself go recently due to IRL hassles, and now flights of stairs wind me. It's pathetic. Off to the gym I go.
4. Adopt a more safety-conscious attitude at work. I almost fell to my death last year, and it still wrenches my gut when I re-imagine that moment.
5. Make a game involving an alpaca.
1. Finish at least half to 3/4ths of the content for Crescent Eve. I'd love to have it done sometime in 2019, honestly.
2. Try to do at least one other small project. If IGMC 2018 happens, I have an idea for it.
3. Play more of other people's games.
4. Review more of other people's games
5. Get back into speedrunning.
author=kentona
weird...I don't remember posting this in the Welp forum...

you posted it on the internet
I'm mainly hoping to finish up Jimmy before the end of summer. After it's done, I'd like to focus more on learning--mainly Unity, art, and I'd like to fill in some gaps on musical theory. I'm trying to lose a bit more weight, too, but it's pretty slow at this point. I dropped cokes out of my diet last year and lost about 30 pounds, and I think I'm at the point where I have to exercise some to actually make progress.
Starscream
Conquest is made from the ashes of one's enemies.
author=kentona
MOTTO 2018 ::..LET THE PAST DIE. KILL IT, IF YOU HAVE TO.

I've been using this as my default response to any statement I can't be bothered to respond to intelligently in 2018.
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
I'm more of a "New Year, same old me" gal... or I guess technically a "Fuck this scheduling junk, I'ma do self improvement and new goals as I come up with them/have the capacity to follow through on them." Though that's admittedly less snappy.

Currently, my goals revolve around settling into my new schedule, which has gotten all shook up. (SAD and the holidays have both monumentally mucked up my momentum, too!)

RMN-specific goals for 2018:
-Finish at least one of the two in-process for serious gams I'm working on (Black Fog and Demon Castle Smithsonian). Not sure which will end up being first: the former's shorter, but I've got more progress on the latter.

-Find an event to latch onto to use the idea I had for another Lobster Quest spinoff.

I'ma stick with those, because three gams sounds like a whole lot for one year, at least on top of real life and my comic and other art junk.
Oh yeah, and 6. Quit Facebook forever. And not the "say I'll quit and then go back in two months" kind of quit.
Goals? What goals? I never really make New Year Resolutions, but this is probably close enough.

- Start working on a new project in MV, finish up an existing one.
- Get better at art in general.
- Learn Japanese.
- Become a high-level player in Granblue (my current mobile game obession, the lovely girl in my avatar is Katalina)
- Write more blogs...? Articles? Submit more resources?
- Commercial gam...? Haha, we'll see about that.

I'm too laid back for my own good in RL tbqh (traits of being a Capetonian, I guess) so I guess I'll become more... proactive? Work harder (its not just for the raises, after all) and maybe find a new hobby (like cooking, haha).
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

RMN Specific:
-Finish my Visual Novel Maker game and see if I can get it on Steam and sell it for pocket money.
-Finish my RPG Maker VX Ace game. The one that uses the time fantasy resources and has a very long story. Sorry, haven't made game page for it yet.
-Get more Maker Score.
Makerscore is the only real goal
unity
You're magical to me.
I don't even remember my goals from last year, but here goes:

-Release a new demo for Weird and Unfortunate Things are Happening.
-Maybe finish Weird and Unfortunate Things are Happening, though that will probably be more of a 2019 goal.
-Do something aside from Weird and Unfortunate Things are Happening so I don't go mad.
-Maybe get into Visual Novels. I think that would be fun.
-Keep working with Jo on assets for Eye of Uzola.
-Survive the year without falling into despair.
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
So, where are my goals for 2k17?

author=Cap_H
Gam mak wise:
-remake Left Behind
-do maps for Might Be Magic
-finish Burnt Ones
-try to push single screen event
-10th birthday game
-return to Chain of Love
-make a gam about Mimics
-do more for the community
-try out that other engines I got
-participate in Low Res Jam

And play more rmn games.
Good luck, peeps!

Ok, I started working on a game about mimics, but I don't know if I ever return to it and if it will end up being an rm game. So, I should keep it simple this year:

>finish the game I'm working on right now (a small winter project)
>return to Left Behind and Chain of Love
>make a gamepage for Burnt Ones
>Play more rmn games

The first point should be completed in January and remaking Left Behind into something bigger and better ought to take 2 months max. Making custom graphics for Chain of Love might take little longer. Making it should be a breeze, then.
I'm not sure how will Burnt Ones end up looking, but I want to write the whole script, make more graphics and make a gamepage to share my progress on this bigger project. I'll be glad for any feedback on that one as I made some anti-player decisions (the game's heavily inspired with Ultima series).

As for the playing I have a hdd full of games I started playing 2-3 years ago and I would like to finish some.

author=SgtMettool
Oh yeah, and 6. Quit Facebook forever. And not the "say I'll quit and then go back in two months" kind of quit.

This is a good idea too. I have more of these real life goals. Lose 10 pounds, practice Spanish regularly, find a real job...
Real jobs don't exist anymore.
Pages: first 123 next last