WHAT DO YOU HATE MOST ABOUT GAME DESIGN

Pages: first 12 next last
StevieRayBones
I refuse to grind with monsters I've just met for money.
Hello,

I think it's good to embrace the things you hate most at any job, because that's how you learn something unfamiliar or even unnatural to you and expand your skills.

What do you hate most about creating/publishing a video game? Mine is trying to market it.
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
Having to event things

Marketing is a close second
Watching youtube videos that claim to talk about game design but clearly dont know what it means BUT having 1 million kids like the video because herp derp a couple memes are in there.
the part where the ideas i have cant just instantly be in the game.
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
I don't know what exactly game design is, but I can say when it's good.
NeverSilent
Got any Dexreth amulets?
Anything to do with map design, from creating/editing graphics to planning out functional and good-looking layouts to building the actual map in the editor. I just can't seem to ever get that stuff right, and it slows down all my projects immensely.

author=Sooz
Having to event things
Hire me pls.
I don't think I really hate anything about game design. But in creating a game there's plenty I don't like to do. That's why I'm an armchair designer rather than someone who actually makes things.

So maybe I hate when reality clashes with design goals.

Of course I just answered to the topic title. Seems the topic text was about actually making it rather than just designing it.
Jeroen_Sol
Nothing reveals Humanity so well as the games it plays. A game of betrayal, where the most suspicious person is brutally murdered? How savage.
author=NeverSilent
author=Sooz
Having to event things
Hire me pls.

And me. Eventing is probably the thing I hate least, haha. Bodging things together, making them work. Using logic.

What I hate most is the things I lack the skill to do. So art, more than just decent mapping, having to use Ruby though I don't know the language because I can't do what I want to do with eventing.
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

Looking at other people's games and realizing how much better they are than mine :(
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
Making maps. I have such a hard time imagining what a place might look like. I don't really consider myself having an eye for detail for such things. Though, it's also true that I mostly don't care for details either?

*Edit: What is this "marketing" of which you speak?
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
author=NeverSilent
author=Sooz
Having to event things
Hire me pls.

Do I look like I can hire people?!
Jeroen_Sol
Nothing reveals Humanity so well as the games it plays. A game of betrayal, where the most suspicious person is brutally murdered? How savage.
You can pay them with art.
Cover up for the areas I'm not good at lol (like pixel art particularly).
I hate those times when I'm mindlessly looking around a map and thinking of all the things I need to do but not actually focusing and implementing those things. In other words I hate when I get overwhelmed I guess.

Also trying to fix a glitch can be aggravating though when you fix it, that can be satisfying.
Okay so a more technical answer:

Coming up with things to do on the map. I seem to spend a lot of time on battle stuff and cutscenes, but not really a ton of it on puzzles or other activities.
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
The fact that 90% of your plan falls apart as soon as you start building the game.
halibabica
RMN's Official Reviewmonger
Engine limitations; more specifically, when an engine has features that are completely broken, or features that only work when you aren't trying to use them, or features that work arbitrarily, or when something should be theoretically possible and the engine just gives you the middle finger instead.

What I'm trying to say is I hate SMBX.
Databasing. It's such a chore coming up with names for everything, and while site generators like Seventh Sanctum exist, it is still a pain.

I love everything else, including boss design (because bosses really are the crux of most jRPGs; everything in the game is built around them).
Balancing. Do I have a reason?

Btw does marketing is also part of game design? I mean I couldn't play a game in a market do I?
Pages: first 12 next last