YUME NIKKI JUST RELEASED ON STEAM, ALONG WITH A COUNTDOWN

Pages: first 12 next last
is it too late to join the fandom and play all those fangames they have
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
I'm not holding my breath for anything, given that there's no evidence kikiyama is involved at all. It's most likely more spinoff merchandise like the underwhelming manga.
Mirak
Stand back. Artist at work. I paint with enthusiasm if not with talent.
Oh, they released yn for free huh. Didn't go the pixel route and rereleased it with a few upgrades to bank that check of antiquity. Weird.
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
I assume they're trying to expand the market for merchandise and/or trying to drum up interest for this new thing.

No need to sell a game available for free when you can just use it to lure people to buy other products.
Mirak
I was half expecting kikiyama to do the same thing derek yu and pixel did with spelunky and cave story. Though thinking about it, how could you upgrade something like yume nikki
author=Sooz
I'm not holding my breath for anything, given that there's no evidence kikiyama is involved at all. It's most likely more spinoff merchandise like the underwhelming manga.

He's listed as the developer, and the publisher is AGM Playism, which has a track record for publishing RPG Maker games like Artifact Adventure and Mad father. I guess we'll just have to wait and see, though.
I think I'm the only RPGMaker user left who completely missed out/was uninterested in the hype explosion surrounding Yume Nikki. XD

When approximately did it get "big" and why did it have so much influence?
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
I'm in the same boat, Blind! You ain't alone! :D
Yume Nikki was made back in the early 2000's using 2k3. It started the whole walking-simulator/surreal dream-game craze.

There's no RPG Maker game out there with as many fangames as Yume Nikki. Sure it's not center stage anymore, but it was huge, and everyone started making their own Yume Nikki-inspired titles. Its influence has been far and wide-reaching. People love the idea of walking somewhere and entering a crazy new area with more and more stuff to see and explore. Huge dreamscapes unfold before you, piece by piece, and everyone loved seeing what bizarre creation other developers came up with.

And now that your eyes have been opened to it, you'll begin to see it everywhere. Only half joking.

Sooz
author=Blind
When approximately did it get "big" and why did it have so much influence?

My belief is that it has a lot of appealing factors for a cult following and a large fandom:

-Inscrutable game by mysterious unknown designer (seriously, nobody even knows if kikiyama is still alive) brings in some sexy sexy mystery
-Just enough of a hint of narrative that theorycrafters can latch on
-Enough vagueness to that narrative (and enough useful symbolism!) that fanwork creators have an endless well to draw from
-Slight creepiness for the horror addicts
-Lots of exploration
-Good art design
-Secrets and collection for the completionists
-There's a different experience every time

It's a really well-made game for what it is. It's not going to appeal to everyone, or even most people, but if you like works that require a lot of delving and exploring, it's extremely rewarding.
I think if I were ever to make a game like Yume Nikki, I'd want to focus on the weirdness and not so much scary stuff. Though I suppose weird stuff often comes across as scary regardless. I probably would want to add more gameplay mechanics though since I do tend to like creating game mechanics.

I never actually played Yume Nikki but I watched lets plays of it. Certainly an interesting experience.
Sooz
TBH the scary stuff in YN is like 5% of the game. People really overemphasize the horror bits in a game that's mostly "LOOK AT ALL THESE DOODLES I MADE WOOOOO!"

(That's not a slight against the game; I feel like more games of "I made a shitlosd of stuff, please enjoy" would be great.)
author=Darken
Looks terrible.

I couldn't disagree more.

Mirak
Your mom looks terrible jk

Depending on the price tag I'll definitely get this.
author=Mirak
Your mom looks terrible jk

Depending on the price tag I'll definitely get this.

It's currently set at 20 USD. A little pricey for what I'm expecting, although apparently content that never made it into the original game will be added to this one, so there's no telling how big the game will actually be.

It's also nice to know that Kikiyama had complete supervision over the project.
author=Pancaek
It's also nice to know that Kikiyama had complete supervision over the project.

Believe it was "approval" unfortunately haha
author=psy_wombats
Believe it was "approval" unfortunately haha

Sooz
That's a REALLY vague way of putting it.

It doesn't say "complete supervision," nor does it say how much Kikiyama involved themself. Kikiyama also signed off on the manga, and that was a pile of trash.

(I could also argue that the sentence order implies the supervision of Kikiyama while also technically only saying that Kikiyama was cooperating: it could be either "created under supervision (of Kikiyama)" or "created under supervision (of a supervisor who isn't Kikiyama) and with the full cooperation of Kikiyama." But given that it's translated I'm not sure how fishy the Japanese text would be. But I don't make a habit of trusting game companies when they're milking a franchise.)
Pages: first 12 next last