[RM2K3] HOW TO GO ABOUT RELEASING AN EPIODIC GAME?

Pages: 1
So I'm considering doing a game in episodes, sort of the same way erm... "The Way" did it.

But I'm not too sure about how to go for it.
I've thought long and hard and I see two roads I could take:

1 - How "The Way" did it. Basically, each episode is a new project, and players have to manually import their save files into subsequent episodes

2 - Or I just create, say, 10 maps (just a number), for episode 1. Then, Episode 2, IN THE SAME PROJECT, I add 15 more maps, bringing the total to 25. Then, I put up a zip/rar file with 16 maps: 15 new ones, and 1 updated map that's supposed to be the map where the player last saved, with an updated event to progress into map number 11. Players then unzip/unrar the maps (and assets, I know), and overwrite the other map. (Did that whole thing make sense?)

I believe that Lun Calsari did it like option 1, because option 2 could corrupt projects, but I want to know for sure. What kind of problems can I run into with each option and, are there other, better options to do this?
Option 1 is the easiest, imo, assuming Steam isn't an option and/or you can't make your own installer to handle option 2 automatically.
OldPat
OrudoPatto, kisama!
Both options sound fine.
I can't think of any possible issue the second option might cause, for now. How could that potentially corrupt your project? I mean... you just add more maps/assets to it and replace the "save map". Those are pretty standard modifications (You should just make sure that you also give the player the updated database and map tree, those two files with the extensions .ldb and .lmt).

I think the second one could allow you to make the process more... "automatic" for the player, since he won't have to copy-paste the save into a new directory but just upgrade his folder with the new update, something an installer could do automatically like badluck said.
author=OldPat
I think the second one could allow you to make the process more... "automatic" for the player, since he won't have to copy-paste the save into a new directory but just upgrade his folder with the new update, something an installer could do automatically like badluck said.

That's what I kept thinking, but since The Way did it like that, I thought some other way was... wrong.
OldPat
OrudoPatto, kisama!
Your best course of action, in order to remove any doubt, would be to do a bit of testing yourself while waiting for more answers.
Pages: 1