[RM2K3] RUNNING RPG_RT.EXE ON LINUX (WINE)

Pages: 1
I've switched to GNU/Linux permanently, and was wondering on ways that could help out with making my game run as smoothly as possible.

I'm using the default build, but to be specific, RPG Tsukuru 2003 (version 1.08, translated by RPG Advocate). I've tried my best to get the hang of open-source alternatives such as EasyRPG Player, but the lack of easy flexibility has really discouraged me. It has a specific DBS, my characters are placed a different way in battle, common events within the DBS do not function normally, the glyphs (symbols) are not my customized set, and the font is different from what I'm used to. The Windows version did not work with Wine.

Since I did specify that I'm using the RPG Advocate version, I'm using Wine to have both the editor and the player run. For the most part, the editor works just fine, although loading up the database section takes a few seconds for me. I have more of an issue with the player, technically the file RPG_RT.exe. It currently doesn't give me any display errors when expanded, but the DBS is so ridiculously laggy, and at random intervals. It takes almost four seconds to process an attack, and the transition into battle also takes a while. I've tested with a vanilla project, and the DBS loaded just fine. For some reason, Wine is not able to handle a game made with a near-two-decade-old program. Is there any reason why it's lagging on my part? I actually did a quick vanilla Windows 7 test, and things were just fine. I'm just not sure where to look or what to configure, since information on getting any RPG Maker to run smoothly on non-Windows OS installations is quite scarce.

Also, through Wine, MIDI playback isn't working, despite installing a couple of DLLs in an attempt to circumvent that. MP3s and WAVs play, however. Would it be wiser to just convert to OGG?

These were the only helpful sources, but they didn't really solve my issues up above:
Mind you, I'm still pretty new to Linux, but I've been working on getting more acquainted with the kernel.

Any help with this would be great.
author=Allen Hunter
I have more of an issue with the player, technically the file RPG_RT.exe. It currently doesn't give me any display errors when expanded, but the DBS is so ridiculously laggy, and at random intervals. It takes almost four seconds to process an attack, and the transition into battle also takes a while. I've tested with a vanilla project, and the DBS loaded just fine. For some reason, Wine is not able to handle a game made with a near-two-decade-old program. Is there any reason why it's lagging on my part? I actually did a quick vanilla Windows 7 test, and things were just fine. I'm just not sure where to look or what to configure, since information on getting any RPG Maker to run smoothly on non-Windows OS installations is quite scarce.

Hi Allen Hunter ❤,

Unfortunately, I'm not going to be much help, but I just want to say I'm also looking for a solution to this problem as well. As I'm currently trying to port certain games like Huntress of the Hollow(steam rpgmaker2003) and Phantom Legacy (Advocate's rpgmaker2003) to Mac platforms.

Getting proper speed through Wineskin seems like it's always going to be an issue with rpgmaker2000/2003 games. Currently, I can get these games to run smoothly on the field map, but stuff such as sound effects, battles and teleporting to other areas, lag quite a bit - it's good but not as good as it is running on Windows as you similarly mentioned.

I'm also waiting to hear back from "JammedGears" a small team that specializes in porting freeware rpgmaker2000/2003 games for the Mac, who may have a couple of solutions to these problems, as well.

"matthew" one of the co-creators of One Shot, who was working on rpghub with plans to eventually bring this application to linux as well, but has unfortunately been discontinued...

Another place to ask would be rpgmakerweb's technical support forum, it may not be the best place to ask this question, but there's usually more people involved there, trying to solve compatibility issues.

...I apologize for not being much help, as most of these suggestions involving mac platforms, but I wanted to say I'm also looking for a solution to this problem as well. Like, I'm pretty sure the solution is out there...it's just not "here", yet.

Hopefully someone more experienced will eventually chime with a solution to this problem as well.

If not, I'll keep you posted, and keep my eyes and ears peeled for ya. ❤
Hey. Shame that EasyRPG Player has too many bugs to be usable for you but we can maybe still help with your Wine problems.

One of our devs wrote a guide in our blog about configuring Wine for RPG_RT. Maybe it helps you.
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
For midi, you need to open a gate. Write timidity -iA in your console before running any software using midi. There's also a way to make it permanent but it might mess up other audio.
author=LordBlueRouge
Another place to ask would be rpgmakerweb's technical support forum, it may not be the best place to ask this question, but there's usually more people involved there, trying to solve compatibility issues.

Thanks for the tip. I'll do some further digging.
author=Ghabry
Hey. Shame that EasyRPG Player has too many bugs to be usable for you but we can maybe still help with your Wine problems.

One of our devs wrote a guide in our blog about configuring Wine for RPG_RT. Maybe it helps you.

I've already seen that one before. In fact, it refers to the very first source that I included as part of my research. Fonts are just fine, as installing the old font patch did the trick, but no matter what I do with the MIDI side, I can't get any sound, yet MP3s work.

If I knew how and where to configure EasyRPG Player to my advantage, I'd probably switch to it for good. Strangely, the vanilla RPG_RT.exe is my best bet for now, either ran flawlessly on Windows or with delayed DBS processes in Wine. I don't want to go back to Windows at all, but I'm probably going to have to get into the VM side of things.
author=Cap_H
For midi, you need to open a gate. Write timidity -iA in your console before running any software using midi. There's also a way to make it permanent but it might mess up other audio.

It didn't work for me at all.

Thanks, though. I'm just glad that the editor itself works fine.
Pages: 1