CRITICAL HIT! (STEEL SPIRIT SAGA REVIEWED!)

LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Phasing mode is just another name for walk through walls.
halibabica
RMN's Official Reviewmonger
from LockeZ
Phasing mode is just another name for walk through walls.
Luckily, the feature seems to be defunct as it did not allow me to do that.

However, I'm slightly at a loss of what to do next. I got through the longest composite cutscene ever and now I've been told where the next crystal is, but apparently no one knows how to reach it and I was given no hints of where to look.

In the meantime, some weird stuff happened. When I returned to the Hollow Cavern, I was able to re-initiate the event sequence with the earth crystal again. I didn't go far because I figured it would break something, but yeah, it's a repeatable sequence.

Then I went to wander around Gensokyo and randomly looked in the bamboo forest. I found an event there to fight Tiamat...and Chaos was walking with our group. I don't remember her joining up, so I think maybe that's not supposed to happen.

I'm not out of ideas yet, but I'll let you know if nothing pans out, and a point in the right direction would be nice.

EDIT: It's breaking more now! I went and did Cirno's trial thing in the Court of Hell and now Reimu is back in my party. That is definitely NOT intentional.
Ahhhhhhh all the bugs, wtf is happening. By the by, is it supposed to be Fallen Shrine that you're meant to go to next? If so, it is a cave you have to go through in Gensokyo to get there. I believe it's the one with that's not the switches, or the one with the switches, but the one that SEEMS like it doesn't lead anywhere.

EDIT - Fixed the one with Tiamat, that had the wrong trigger, and the one with Cirno now doesn't add Reimu back in at all (it shouldn't have to, as long as you have Cirno there anyways). Same thing probably with Hollowed Caverns.
halibabica
If you mean the one with the demon walls, then I'm on it. The switch cave led to Malboro Land, so I know it isn't that one.
Aye, that be the one. I've just uploaded a new version, so if you are willing to test the things with what you saw broken (Tiamat/Cirno/Hollowed Caverns), then that'd be swell. Well, the Cirno one SHOULD be perfectly fine now, but the Tiamat/Caverns one I'm curious about.
halibabica
Downloading this game for the 5th to 8th time...
Well, at least this time it took a couple months? Seems last time I had to this was back in August so...that's a plus? ^^;
halibabica
All righty, the Tiamat event has vanished and the earth crystal is done for good. However, the girl we lost in the void is still waiting to join us in the Hollowed Cave. She won't leave with us anyway, so that one's no big deal.
Ah, she must still be using the same old trigger then. I wonder why that switch never activated, huh...at least that's a very simple fix. Not gonna reupload it NOW, but will at least fix that.

EDIT - Also, on topic of EXP, if you're curious, this is how it looks per character in the engine, and why it's such a massive pain for me to adjust anything to. T-T

First one is how much their EXP would look like in the menu, 2nd is how much it takes per level to level up. RPG Maker is soooo bad by default with leveling up. T-T
halibabica
Yeah, and that's one character's chart. This game has 20+ party members. If you always use the same four Touhous, I guess they'd become overpowered. If you're trying to keep people up with each other, it becomes a royal pain. You might have actually made the game impossible to balance for this reason. The playable cast is just too huge and you can't find a solution that works for both play styles. Even so, some modest experience gain on bosses would not break anything imo. It doesn't have to be a stupidly high number for every fight. Anything would be better than nothing.
halibabica
Welcome, ladies and gentlemen, to the latest edition of Touhou Fantasy: Keine is Busted Edition. Today, we're featuring an exceptionally broken strat that I'm about to abuse shamelessly. Please observe the following...

This special demon wall monster appears at the end of a short dungeon. Defeating it reveals the path forward, but it reappears after you leave. If you re-enter from the back end, you're right in front of it again. As a boss monster, it drops no XP, but it's worth 30,000 gold. Within this same dungeon, I found a skill for Keine that deals 9999 damage if her health is below 10. It's kind of a risky thing to use, but I figured out an exploit for it...

If you use Komachi's Ferry Services to repeatedly leave the dungeon beyond this, you can safely whittle Keine's health down to the appropriate value. Now, she can deal half of this boss' health at the start of the fight. The monster leads the combat with an attack that seems to be unavoidable and Keine can't survive it, but the rest of this works so well that the monster never even gets a turn.

Basically, Aya goes first and puts double-cast on Keine. Then Keine uses her 9999 move to slam the boss on her turn. Marisa follows after with Magic Missile (which can't miss), and triggers the events that make Keine's spell cast again. The wall dies before it can attack. If that wasn't sweet enough, because Keine's experience share code is wonky, this causes level-ups for the rest of the party members after the fight.

This game is screwed.
And thus, now you're forcing me to fix that bug, thank you.

Also wait, doublecast works on Keine's skillset??? Huh...I guess the way multiple castings for a skill that's event coded doesn't work the same way as a normal skill being used twice in a row?? That's interesting to know.
halibabica
author=Xenomic
Also wait, doublecast works on Keine's skillset??? Huh...I guess the way multiple castings for a skill that's event coded doesn't work the same way as a normal skill being used twice in a row??

It's weird. It still casts twice, but another actor has to start their turn before the second cast happens.

My party is entering the 70's. I might feel bad breaking the game wide open like this, but I just crossed the 100 hour mark. It's time to annihilate.
I always assumed it wouldn't due to the nature of the skills being event based (it doesn't work on Cirno's summons at all for some bizarre reason, I recall). Can't think of whom else has event based skills, but Sanae or Byakuren would be ones to test it on I'm sure. Wonder if hers would do the same thing.

I didn't beat the game until like level 50-60, if that says anything. Pretty sure 70 is going to outspeed a lot of things at that point.

EDIT - Ironically, I came up with a solution to the problem for Keine. Anything that gives 0 EXP shall now give 1 EXP. There, problem solved .V.
halibabica
author=Xenomic
EDIT - Ironically, I came up with a solution to the problem for Keine. Anything that gives 0 EXP shall now give 1 EXP. There, problem solved .V.

Temple of Fiends style, joy. This is still your worst game design decision.

Well, I abused the heck out of that wall, and now everyone in the party is L99 except for Keine (who could never profit from this), Aya (who helped her), Advent Cirno (who isn't in the experience pool), and Reimu (who isn't back from her plot vacation yet). On top of being way too good for leveling up, I also farmed a ridiculous amount of money out of it. I bought all the equipment in the Dead River shops and Pandaemonium. I also bought most of the skills available for everyone, but ran out of dough getting Byakuren's because they're just ridiculously expensive.

So this is my new travel party. Sakuya is babysitting the only people left who can still grow. In spite of being L99, she actually isn't that busted. Keine still dishes out more with Ephemerality, but things are going so much more smoothly. We can even pick which encounters aren't worth it thanks to Sakuya's Time Stop.

Also, I'm 99% sure that the "speed bug" is tied completely to Sakuya and whatever weird haste mechanic she has. The hero walk speed automatically increases when she joins the party, and decreases when she leaves. I'm actually used to a higher walk speed now and this game would drag without it.

Anyway, things are going fine, but I think the game is getting wise to my tactics.

The speed bug was always related to Sakuya, she has an overworld passive that when she's in the party, your overworld move speed is increased.

THAT error...I've seen that pop up every now and then, as well as "Divided by Zero", and I don't know why it does that to either one?? Anyone more privy to the engine might know, but it's a mystery to me, and quite aggravating.
halibabica
It looks like Keine's attacking a target that isn't on the field yet, or was removed from the battle, but not the script. I guess I'll know for sure when I get further in the fight.

Also, if you knew the speed bug was related to Sakuya, then why do you have an NPC of yourself in HRCS to fix it? Why don't you just auto-fix the hero's walk speed anytime she's added or leaves?
If you're referring to the sword, that's an actual target. It just doesn't have a sprite (it's blank). So I know it's not that, at least I don't think it would be that anyways.

See, that's the thing. I HAVE done that, but there's times that it STILL happens and I don't know why. So that's why that Xeno is still around. It's been a thing ever since I implemented the darn thing. >_>;
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Yeah it turns out that RM2K3 only has "increase speed" and "decrease speed" commands, and doesn't have a "set speed" command, nor any way to check the player's current speed. What a good engine. You can work around it, but it's a pain, especially if you realize 5 years into development that you need to go track down every speed change in your entire 100 hour game and change how they all work. And also go back and add conditional speed changes to the beginning and end of every cut scene in the game.

In other words, this game is about 30x too big and I'm glad I'm not the one who gets blamed for its problems.
At best, I'd say it's about 40 hours too long, I was aiming for 60 at the very most, give or take. >_>