HALI'S REVIEW THREAD (REQUEST YOUR GAME!)

halibabica
RMN's Official Reviewmonger
Well, this is embarrassing. I had to take about a week and a half off from this for life reasons, and I now I can't remember what I'm supposed to be doing.

When last I played, I beat the Ice Queen and got the 2nd half of the key. Trouble is, I have no idea what the key was for and I have no context clues to help me. I feel like a fool having to ask, but where does the fire/ice key go???
author=halibabica
Well, this is embarrassing. I had to take about a week and a half off from this for life reasons, and I now I can't remember what I'm supposed to be doing.

When last I played, I beat the Ice Queen and got the 2nd half of the key. Trouble is, I have no idea what the key was for and I have no context clues to help me. I feel like a fool having to ask, but where does the fire/ice key go???

Ah, those keys are for lumberjack town's gate in the North :')
halibabica
All righty. This week on Shattered Hourglass, Duran and co. suddenly remembered they were supposed to use their fusion key in the lumberjack town. They used it, and Chronos was a jerk, and then Duran got ADD and decided to explore the flooded cavern instead. We met some mermaids, beat up a shark dude, and realized we don't have enough silver tokens to stop leviathan.

Then we shipped over to an arena that's mostly too low level for us now. We burned through about five or six challenges with no trouble at all. Then we fought Something Something Guardian, who thinks it's cool to make you kill yourself with counters while healing off tons of damage automatically. Of course the monster has no weakness (that I could find), and is so slow that, even with its agility up and my cat slowed down, it STILL goes last, so every time it feels like reinstating its regen, it gets +6200 health, even if I just removed it. Frustration quit! Try again next week.

Sawworm, you're twisted.
I'd appreciate any thoughts you have on my IGMC entry. It can be found here and is around half an hour long. https://itch.io/jam/igmc2018/rate/335497

Appreciate there's a queue so the contest might be over by the time you get to it but still good lessons to be learned for the next IGMC, right? :)
halibabica
author=Sam
I'd appreciate any thoughts you have on my IGMC entry. It can be found here and is around half an hour long. https://itch.io/jam/igmc2018/rate/335497

Appreciate there's a queue so the contest might be over by the time you get to it but still good lessons to be learned for the next IGMC, right? :)

Well, I'd be happy to take a look eventually, but you should make a game page for it here if you're able. ;)
author=halibabica
All righty. This week on Shattered Hourglass, Duran and co. suddenly remembered they were supposed to use their fusion key in the lumberjack town. They used it, and Chronos was a jerk, and then Duran got ADD and decided to explore the flooded cavern instead. We met some mermaids, beat up a shark dude, and realized we don't have enough silver tokens to stop leviathan.

Then we shipped over to an arena that's mostly too low level for us now. We burned through about five or six challenges with no trouble at all. Then we fought Something Something Guardian, who thinks it's cool to make you kill yourself with counters while healing off tons of damage automatically. Of course the monster has no weakness (that I could find), and is so slow that, even with its agility up and my cat slowed down, it STILL goes last, so every time it feels like reinstating its regen, it gets +6200 health, even if I just removed it. Frustration quit! Try again next week.

Sawworm, you're twisted.

Oh... Ancient Guardian... I remember one Let's Player have beaten that boss in... 1 hour... Ughh... I'm (not so) proud of my creation... ;_; Treephop's Triple Punches & Juliet's Dispel spam can give you enough time to kill that boss. It's still an annoying boss though :~D

A-Also, thanks I guess <3
halibabica
from sawworm
Oh... Ancient Guardian... I remember one Let's Player have beaten that boss in... 1 hour... Ughh... I'm (not so) proud of my creation... ;_; Treephop's Triple Punches & Juliet's Dispel spam can give you enough time to kill that boss. It's still an annoying boss though :~D

A-Also, thanks I guess <3

An hour is about how long I gave it before I ran out of time. I saw it only had one damaging attack, so I was defending a lot to build TP for large pushes of damage. I gave up on Treephop's multi-punch moves long ago, when I got sick of them missing constantly. His current weapon lets him hit three times anyway, but it's probably worth it to try again, especially with Fatal Stance in effect. Juliet is much slower than Mio, so maybe we're better off using her Dispel instead.

I'll get it, it's just annoying as hell.
Thanks Hali! I'd love to make a game page here but not sure what the contest rules around IGMC are around that. Playing it safe for now.
halibabica
That's fine! My queue is hearty and progress is slow because I suck, so I'm sure you'll have time to make one before it would matter. ^-^;
Speaking of games, just letting you know (if you haven't gotten it yet which I would assume not due to the queue) that my game is actually 99.99% done (and is a long game at that. Still bugs and whatnot here and there, but...trying to squash them out as people find em).

...I just decided to look at when I first posted in this thread, and wow. Almost a full year since then! Probably a good thing though, means it let me get this done before you got to it and get everything I wanted to try to get in into the game. ^^;
halibabica
from Xenomic
Almost a full year since then!
Yeah........................

This wouldn't be such a thing if I'd just stick to my agenda and play every week like I mean to. I keep taking on too many other things and throwing my schedule out the window. Though this year has been exceptionally eventful regardless. >_<

But I'm true to my word. I'll work through that list eventually! Maybe someday, I'll even grow a spine!

-----

Today on Shattered Hourglass, Duran and friends got their revenge on the Ancient Guardian by executing a carefully laid-out plan that worked perfectly. They then fought through the rest of the arena, saving before every battle because fear of bullshit.

Well, it's a good thing they did, because they met Zalgo the samurai, who should be the real hero of this adventure because he's f@#$ing unstoppable. Seriously, here's a guy with an enormous health bar that resists all forms of damage and prefers to use multi-striking instant death attacks CONSTANTLY. Unless I find some equipment that can nullify instant death, I'm not even going to try again.

Sawworm, I said it before and I'll say it again, you are TWISTED. A lot of the bosses in this game have been difficult and compelling fights, but more and more I'm finding things that are just downright unfair. At least the ones with sleep-all moves have some counters in the form of equipment. I enjoy the fights where I can figure out what's happening and adjust my strategy accordingly, but when I need pre-knowledge of exactly what to do before entering combat, I get upset. Optional boss or not, that's bullshit.

Anyway...

Having failed that, we decided to take another crack at Chronos, and this time we managed to win. We didn't even need Qual's help, so take that! We got the "Good Ending", apparently.

But the game's still going in Chapter IV. Duran is rounding up his friends to look for Juliet and they've gone to the future(?) to find Suan again. It's gettin' real Chrono Trigger up in here, but we'll see what happens.
author=halibabica
Today on Shattered Hourglass, Duran and friends got their revenge on the Ancient Guardian by executing a carefully laid-out plan that worked perfectly. They then fought through the rest of the arena, saving before every battle because fear of bullshit.

Well, it's a good thing they did, because they met Zalgo the samurai, who should be the real hero of this adventure because he's f@#$ing unstoppable. Seriously, here's a guy with an enormous health bar that resists all forms of damage and prefers to use multi-striking instant death attacks CONSTANTLY. Unless I find some equipment that can nullify instant death, I'm not even going to try again.

Sawworm, I said it before and I'll say it again, you are TWISTED. A lot of the bosses in this game have been difficult and compelling fights, but more and more I'm finding things that are just downright unfair. At least the ones with sleep-all moves have some counters in the form of equipment. I enjoy the fights where I can figure out what's happening and adjust my strategy accordingly, but when I need pre-knowledge of exactly what to do before entering combat, I get upset. Optional boss or not, that's bullshit.

Anyway...

Having failed that, we decided to take another crack at Chronos, and this time we managed to win. We didn't even need Qual's help, so take that! We got the "Good Ending", apparently.

But the game's still going in Chapter IV. Duran is rounding up his friends to look for Juliet and they've gone to the future(?) to find Suan again. It's gettin' real Chrono Trigger up in here, but we'll see what happens.

I'm sorry that I laughed at the last boss of the arena should be the hero... Oh boy, his instant death attacks are super unfair. Mio or the other 5th party member can learn a skill that makes your party immortal for 1 turn (75 TP Cost) but it takes way too much grinding to get that passive (Full Moon Job). Other than that Ghostfish can make one of your party Immortal for a turn. Sadly, no Death resist items at the moment... Sorry for the trouble :'(

Ah, "Good Ending"! Congratulations!
Fun fact; "Neutral" and "Bad" ending takes you to Balandor's world map which is Duran's hometown you can explore (start of the game).

Chapter IV is a short one, it's for mainly for giving the player some extra content, dungeon and freedom after beating the game. The true ending lies in that part, but I still need to complete it... my hands are pretty full at the moment. (University & my current job is taking too much time of my life).

You probably got the old version of my game at the moment which stops at the final dungeon's entrance. The current version on my game page has the entire last dungeon but it still blocks your progress on the last map. Which I need to work and complete one of two true endings for my game.

So... that's it ^.^ You've technically have beaten the game.
*Leviathan stares at you*
halibabica
author=sawworm
Chapter IV is a short one, it's for mainly for giving the player some extra content, dungeon and freedom after beating the game. The true ending lies in that part, but I still need to complete it... my hands are pretty full at the moment. (University & my current job is taking too much time of my life).

You probably got the old version of my game at the moment which stops at the final dungeon's entrance. The current version on my game page has the entire last dungeon but it still blocks your progress on the last map. Which I need to work and complete one of two true endings for my game.

So... that's it ^.^ You've technically have beaten the game.
*Leviathan stares at you*

I wouldn't be surprised if the version I have is older. It's only been MONTHS at this point (and entirely my fault). I didn't realize the game was still in development. Perhaps you can put some of these criticisms to work, then!

Yeah, Zalgo will forever remain the champion of the arena. He seriously needs nerfed. He can wipe out all but one party member in the first two turns, and there's no reasonable way you can keep up after that.

I may yet try to fight Leviathan. I decided I'd give the world a once-over after I find whatever is needed for those empty metal circles, and clean up my remaining hunts, silver tokens, and whatever else I find. Maybe I'll even be done by the end of the year! x_x
author=halibabica
I wouldn't be surprised if the version I have is older. It's only been MONTHS at this point (and entirely my fault). I didn't realize the game was still in development. Perhaps you can put some of these criticisms to work, then!

Yeah, Zalgo will forever remain the champion of the arena. He seriously needs nerfed. He can wipe out all but one party member in the first two turns, and there's no reasonable way you can keep up after that.

I may yet try to fight Leviathan. I decided I'd give the world a once-over after I find whatever is needed for those empty metal circles, and clean up my remaining hunts, silver tokens, and whatever else I find. Maybe I'll even be done by the end of the year! x_x

Hahaha, I always try to smooth things out when I receive criticized for my game. The development process is (almost) mostly focused on the last part. Chapter IV added way later on my part (about 1 year ago).

Yeah, his basic pattern is taking out multiple party members > take single party member then follow up with some huge skill > repeat. Quite annoying and you got a few turns to DPS him. (Already started to nerf his death skills and this time it'll be easy to counter it with some items)

In order to activate Metal Circles, you need a Dynamite item from Qual's item shop, it re-opens Volcano and... you gotta beat some baddies in there :~D

Leviathan's place is huge though, there is some Metroidvania aspect into it as you progress in there. It seems you've got many things to left, good luck! Someone did a Silver Token guide though, it may help a lot.
halibabica
Well, this time in Shattered Hourglass, we got the whole party back together and explored the depths of an ice cave. We were informed by a pillar of fire that we've reached the limit, so I guess that's it!

I've decided I will give myself until the end of the year to explore any remaining optional content/bosses. After that, this thing's getting reviewed and I'm MOVING ON!!!
halibabica
from sawworm
In order to activate Metal Circles, you need a Dynamite item from Qual's item shop, it re-opens Volcano and... you gotta beat some baddies in there :~D
I might be missing something, but the shops in Qual don't sell dynamite. Unless you mean the actual person Qual, whom I haven't found yet...I might be on the right track, though? I swear it wasn't in there before, but I got it now...

I revisited this old mine on an island and found the Lost Equipment. I can't remember who it belongs to and there are no clues attached, but at least Mephisto wasn't too much trouble. It was another boss ambush, though. :/
author=halibabica
from sawworm
I might be missing something, but the shops in Qual don't sell dynamite. Unless you mean the actual person Qual, whom I haven't found yet...I might be on the right track, though?I swear it wasn't in there before, but I got it now...

I revisited this old mine on an island and found the Lost Equipment. I can't remember who it belongs to and there are no clues attached, but at least Mephisto wasn't too much trouble. It was another boss ambush, though. :/
I'm glad that you found dynamite!

Oh... you found the Lost Equipment... after beating the game! Well, that's quite interesting. I gotta spoil you since you're done with it.

Do you remember the woman on an island who gave you the order to find the Lost Equipment? If so... that was Qual (yup, everybody was wrong! Qual is a woman). The funny thing is after you beat the game she leaves that place. (Normally, Qual and her companions stick with you till you beat Chronos, her companions also visit the towns you are in).

You just made me realized that you still need to deliver that quest item even in her absence (also getting quest reward). Nobody did that so I never guessed something like that might happen. I'm going to fill the gaps for that quest ASAP.
halibabica
Welp, so much for the search for Qual. >_<

While you're at it, you may want to make the Lost Equipment more obvious because it blends in with way too much junk in that dungeon. I gave up on interacting with things in there because none of it yielded any results. The exit opened without me finding it/beating the boss, so I left, thinking it was optional.

I'm back in the volcano now, so at least I have a clear objective. I also need to find 25 sealight blooms for a greedy extradimensional monstrosity. :p We'll see how far I get...
Merry Christmas, halibabica.

I've published a new version of Shattered Hourglass. With it, you can complete the last ice dungeon you've entered. Also, that evil swordsman in the Arena not that dangerous anymore, a few pets on his head made him a good boy.

Good luck and take care! ^.^
halibabica
Okay, so...I said I would give this until the end of 2018, but then the holidays caught up with me, and...

Here's the thing. I'm basically almost finished anyway, and I just upgraded to the latest version. Since I'm so close and the end is in sight, I think I'll just try to complete the game after all. I already beat Zalgun, who now seems like he could actually be harder. I'm poking around the world to see what I missed, round up silver tokens, and Leviathan will be my next target.

It's not over yet, but I'm in a great position now and I don't expect any further setbacks.