HALI'S REVIEW THREAD (REQUEST YOUR GAME!)

halibabica
RMN's Official Reviewmonger
from QZProductions
Turovero doesn't have any reviews yet :V https://rpgmaker.net/games/9936/

Be warned though, it's a long-ass game (anywhere from 13-23 hours depending on how quickly you get through or if you choose to grind) and deals with some heavy themes.
Thirteen to twenty-three hours? Sounds like a vacation! Have fun in the queue!
author=halibabica
from QZProductions
Turovero doesn't have any reviews yet :V https://rpgmaker.net/games/9936/

Be warned though, it's a long-ass game (anywhere from 13-23 hours depending on how quickly you get through or if you choose to grind) and deals with some heavy themes.
Thirteen to twenty-three hours? Sounds like a vacation! Have fun in the queue!

Nice :Db Thanks friend! Enjoy the game! I'll be here to collect your tears for nourishment mwahaha
halibabica
I had a decently productive session of Touhou Fantasy. I beat Kraken easily with the team I picked for him and was relieved to see there was not a boss fight after the next long cutscene. However, when I left and re-entered the room, I couldn't talk to the yama because her throne was blocked by the invisible remnants of everyone who was supposed to disappear after the scene ended. So much for that Cirno trial or whatever.

Then I learned just how much of the Human Village was totally unnecessary before heading to the Remains of Hell. It figures I picked out a way to take on this game just before a dungeon that forces you to use specific characters. Thankfully, they're all over L20 and can take the heat...or at least they could after I got the fire-resisting items. I was very dismayed to see a music change flute with no accompanying save point before the bridge. I had to spend my save crystal just to avoid losing progress. Things can go wrong so fast in this game, and I don't want to fight bucket girl again.
...There were invisible blocks still? What the hell?? I'm not understanding why that keeps happening ffffffffff...I'll have to look into that more.

EDIT - As a heads-up for that trial, I'd wait on that. I got a thing I need to fix with that (and you CAN do it later, which I can explain if you want/need to do it). Will be uploading a new version at some point.
halibabica
When I first walked in to talk to her, most of the party was waiting at the top of the stairs. They're what's being left over. The event page they switch to is probably on same layer instead of below layer, so they act as blocks.

Yeah, no hurry on the update. At least I'm not stuck for now.
Ah. I'll have to check those events then to see what I need to take care of with them.
halibabica
Okay...looks like I could use that patch sooner than later after all. I cleared my initial dive into Hell and defeated Marilith with Mad Rush, of all things. My finger slipped during wonky menu transitions and I accidentally told Momiji it was berserk time, but they dished out so much damage that they didn't even need Uto's help (she spent the battle paralyzed).

Incidentally, I still hate locking status problems that last for 50 turns. That's not a reasonable length for any status, but the locking ones are especially bad because they freeze the victim's ATB. They can't spend their turns recovering because they don't get any turns at all. The enemies don't have this problem (thanks 2k3), but any party member that gets stunned is effectively out of the fight unless you cure it. That's assuming the move didn't hit the whole party and you're just waiting for death (F12 is faster).

Anyway, once I returned to the surface and went to see the Yama again, that cutscene left me trapped in the middle of all the invisible party member dummy events. They need to be set to Below or Above so the hero can walk through them. ^-^;
Yikes...I will look into that when I get to it tomorrow. That might actually be an older version, if you haven't updated since last we spoke?? Otherwise...yeah, will look at that for sure.

Also, I could've sworn I also fixed Mad Rush to be around 10-20 turns for Berserk instead of 50 now, because of how aggravating that could get. Unless...I didn't do anything to upgraded versions of Mad Rush (which is plausible). Another thing I'll need to check. Unless you're talking about the other statuses, in which case yeah, still haven't gotten around to fixing those as you can tell. I do hate how it handles enemies and allies with statuses too (also hate how it handles turns...but that's a thing for another time hue).
halibabica
At present, Momiji's Mad Rush is a permanent commitment. The berserk never wears off. I redownloaded the game recently, so I don't know what's up.

If anything can be done about how turns are handled in this engine, please do it. The thing I hate the most is that the enemy ATB never halts for any reason, so sometimes you can't even choose an action faster than they can use one because they get priority after the menu closes. They basically get a free turn any time I take too long choosing what to do, which sometimes means the person I chose the action for gets killed/stunned/whatever and can't perform the action. Is this how 2k3 normally is, and if so, why the hell does anybody like it?
Mad Rush: Grants Berserk: 20, Protect: 20, and Haste: 20 on the party. Ignores status immunities.

SECONDARY COMMAND UPGRADES:

*Mad Rush Level 2: Grants Berserk: 20, Protect: 20, Bravery: 20, Haste: 20, PBlock +20%: 50, and MBlock +20%: 50 on the party. Ignores status immunities. Only usable while equipped with the Valiant Heart, Ultimatus, or Raven Armor.
*Mad Rush Level 3: Grants Berserk: 20, Protect: 20, Bravery: 20, Haste: 20, PBlock +20%: 50, MBlock +20%: 50, Absorb Damage (10%): 60, and Return Damage (10%): 60 on the party. Ignores status immunities. Only usable while equipped with the Soul Edge or Soul Calibur.

Well, this is now how Mad Rush is going to be. I'd say it's a much better update to it (less time on all statuses, and now Lv2/Lv3 have better things than before). Also adjusted a few later bosses HP, since people are stating that the fights take quite a while from watching the streams (20 minutes it took for a boss, 20 minutes for another). It's honestly legitimately hard for me to adjust bosses moreso than enemies because it's hard for me to gauge strengths, despite how many RPGs I've played where it should be obvious. @_@; The Lv2/Lv3 equipment to use them aren't right, by the way, and my document never was updated to reflect that...

As for turns, there's literally nothing I can do about them. That's just how 2K3 is. I'm sure those that USE 2k3 probably use their own custom systems and whatnot for it and not the default ATB. Obviously, I didn't know how to DO such a thing, nor do I know if I really wanted to way back then. ^^;;

In any case, new version is uploaded, you can snag that now, and hopefully things should be working properly. If they don't, just toss me another message and I'll try to fix it again.
halibabica
from Xenomic
there's literally nothing I can do about them. That's just how 2K3 is.

That's what I figured. #rm2k-4-lyfe

from Xenomic
new version is uploaded, you can snag that now, and hopefully things should be working properly. If they don't, just toss me another message and I'll try to fix it again.

Will do, thanks!
halibabica
All right, I updated once again, but I'm unfortunately still at an impasse. The last story thing I did was to beat Marilith. When I try to use the doors in the back of Satori's mansion, Reimu says I should find her first. When I talk to her, she tells me to tell Kourindu to come home (did I spell those names right?). The last thing I remember being told to do was see the yama, but the cutscene with her still has the same trouble it did before. After the dialogue is over, the hero is stuck standing in the midst of a bunch of impassable events, unable to move in any direction.

So unless I forgot something else I'm able to do, I literally can't advance anymore. :c
Here, toss me the save file and I'll take a look-see. I may have to mess with it via checking the save file. >_<
halibabica
All right, I finally managed to make some progress in this game. Since last time, I hit quite a few story points, beat a bunch of bosses, some people died. Pretty great. Today I beat Chen and Ran, but they were very aggravating. Far as I can tell, Chen's special status problem just makes everything miss half the time. I don't know why it has a timer since it resets every turn of battle anyway, but the really rude thing about this fight is the Ran fight immediately after it (and the 300-year-long cutscenes before each battle). I had to Mighty Guard my way through Ran because I didn't pick a party that covered all their elemental attacks well enough. They were dropping people pretty easily and we had to luck out a little to win. I was very scared that the person who showed up afterward was actually going to fight me until they were blown away in the cutscene. Even if there wasn't a third fight, I could've done without the anxiety. I'm so fed up with the demon causing these issues already.

So next time it's back to the flattened Human Village. Whee.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
I'm a little amazed you're still playing.
Wait, there was a special status in Chen's fight?? Huh. My document doesn't tell me this at all...did I never record it in it?? And yeah, I'm aware of the forever long cutscenes, it's something that I WOULD like to fix up, though figuring out HOW to do that without butchering everything is...an issue all unique to itself, heh. And yeah, Ran's pretty rough, and there's really no way to cover all the elements she does (Fire, Ice, Lightning, Poison, Holy, and Wind is a lot to cover). Poison's probably the scariest there IMO.
halibabica
from LockeZ
I'm a little amazed you're still playing.

It became more bearable when I stopped believing Xeno about the no grinding thing. Also when I got the encounter-negating equipment. There's a consumable item that does the same thing available from the start, but when your game becomes more fun to play by using a feature that turns off a core mechanic, that should tell you something significant about it.

from Xenomic
Wait, there was a special status in Chen's fight??

Yes. The status icon looks like Chen's face. It says it will last for 21 turns, but after it ticks down a bit, it eventually resets back to 21. I assumed it was a "go easy on this smol child" status since Chen was so hard to hit, but it made Chen a royal pain to deal with, and then Ran was just Super-Chen with no break to save and no weaknesses (and lots of resistances), so...yeah, that fight was particularly annoying, even after level-matching the boss.
unity
You're magical to me.
I don't mean to overstate this at this point, but it sounds like this game needed a lot more playtesting and battle tweaking. The thing with the Chen boss fight should have been caught and fixed, for example, unless it's a rare glitch or something.
halibabica
I could've just been unlucky, I suppose. Aya's Intel told me that Chen is weak to physical attacks, so I brought a party of brawlers to try and Mad Rush through it, but they hit so inconsistently that I was better off just casting spells anyway. I figured the special status condition had something to do with it since the physicals were even less reliable than usual.

But yeah game balance here is kinda out the window imo.
I think it is the special status that halves accuracy, would have to look at her coding (but judging by the icon you told me, that's exactly what it is). I just don't have it listed in my Bestiary document, so it kinda caught me by surprise that something like that was happening. Sometimes, developer guys just forget things about their own game after not having seen a part for a long time! I've had that happen myself when I got to some boss fights on my stream of the game. Was just like "Oh yeah...this was a thing!!". And then sometimes get murdered by said thing because of me forgetting about it, like Return Damage passives! ^^;

As for Mad Rush, Berserk does have a 70% accuracy modifier on it, so that with the 50% accuracy modifier from Chen probably didn't help either. Though does accuracy via multiple statuses stack?? I'm actually not 100% sure on that, never actually thought about it before...huh...

EDIT - As for playtesting and balancing, I've already done that multiple times as is. There's only a few regular enemy encounters that I'd even say are bad (Half-Phantom was one that I didn't realize was as bad as he was, but I fixed him. I haven't really had to fix any other regular enemies in the game since him though), and even the hard ones that I fought didn't feel that bad to me. Maybe it's just me??? *Ponders*