HALI'S REVIEW THREAD (REQUEST YOUR GAME!)

Yeah, Lunasa is legit really strong thanks to her Bardsong. IIRC, nothing is immune to whatever comes from that, so she has 100% accuracy on those moves if they inflict statuses. I think I did that segment with Marisa/Hope/Shinki/Rinnosuke IIRC. Shinki had the Minoriko Syndrome in that she could just fully heal MP outside of battle, heh. Chaos I couldn't use because she's soooo sloooow, but she's slow on purpose.

Hm...wonder why they aren't fixed. *Ponders*
halibabica
RMN's Official Reviewmonger
Chaos? Slow? She had auto-Haste. She took more turns than anyone else!
Oh...huh. I think I forgot I did that because otherwise she's even slower than base Yuuka...
halibabica
Late-game bug report time! I just beat up Koakuma in the Scarlet Devil Mansion, but after the cutscene ended, the screen stayed pitch black and I have no way of lightening it back up. Luckily, I have a save from before the fight, because this is literally unplayable now. I'd show you a screenshot, but it's literally 640x480 of black pixels.
Welp...if it stayed black and you were able to go into the menu and all that, I can wager a guess as to what caused that problem. Don't know how I would forget something as basic as THAT...
halibabica
Keine did cause a spontaneous level-up when it happened, but yes, I was able to use the menu, navigate the map, warp to new locations, the whole thing; just under a pitch-black screen.
Yeah, sounds like I forgot to Tint the screen back to normal after a fade out then. And I'm assuming the music was the same as the normal SDM music too?

How was that fight, by the by? I don't even remember if I did it myself, I didn't really fight many of the optional bosses. Or at least, I don't recall fighting her myself, but IIRC, I made her pretty terrifying to fight.
halibabica
from Xenomic
I didn't really fight many of the optional bosses.
You should already know what I have to say about this.

Koakuma was tough, but mostly doable. Chaos and Keine were tearing through her pretty quickly while Reimu did support and Advent Cirno threw in an Omnislash now and then. Cirno turned out to be more helpful than expected, as she sponged quite a few misplaced ice attacks. The later part of the battle felt a bit too overwhelming when she busted out all the cinematic moves, some of which were more devastating than others. The fight ended when one particular move left half the party dead and the other half permanently berserk. It came down to Mystery Veil Cirno swinging blindly at her, and she just barely managed to win it. It didn't feel especially fair, particularly after the bug took it away from me. As an end-game boss, she's probably okay.

Speaking of end-game bosses, I came across this guy while I was hunting around:

None of these characters were L99. See if you can guess how I beat it. >:3
Yeah, Koakuma's meant to be an endgame superboss, but somehow I feel I made her a bit too strong. As for Yiazmat there, did you really win using just Keine's 9999 attack??? Huh...didn't think someone would actually try to tear through the 1 million HP he has. There was actually another method of which I have in place to fight (and super cheese) him, since I figured he'd be TOO strong for a normal party.
halibabica
from Xenomic
did you really win using just Keine's 9999 attack???

Heh, there was a little more to it than just that. It took a few attempts to get a feel for the fight and how it works, but I eventually came up with the strategy in the picture. Keine double-casting her 9999 attack is the main source of damage, but here's the rest of what made it work:

For starters, Chaos is contributing with her own fixed damage move, which hits for over 3k since Yiazmat's level is huge. It doesn't have perfect accuracy, but she certainly made a dent, especially with her auto-haste (sadly, double-cast doesn't work with that move). That leaves Reimu and Aya in support positions, but of course this boss can really dish it, so here's how it went down...

The first time I fought it, we had a rough battle that eventually reached it's strongest move, Cyclone. I thought it was only going to cast it once, but instead, it just kept casting it every turn after that. Naturally, I couldn't keep up with that much damage output, so that was how the first fight ended. I can't help but wonder if this was unintentional, as it doesn't seem right from a design standpoint, but my observation was that it eventually reached a point where the only damage being dealt was wind-element.

So I gave Keine the null-wind accessory, Reimu the absorb wind accessory, added Aya to the party, and used her Demonic Kemono skill to keep Keine alive at 6 HP until the wind phase began. After that, it was just a matter of time. I kept double-cast on Keine, Demonic Kemono on Chaos, and we just hammered away until there was nothing left. I beat it in 23 minutes.
Yeah, that's not right at all. It's meant to use it like once every 50 turns I believe.

Attacks:
Cyclone (100): Used once every 50 turns. Inflicts ~8000 Wind-elemental physical damage to the party. 10 MP.
Renew (3): Restores 9999 HP to user. 10 MP.
Attack (10)
White Breath (10): Inflicts ~2500 Holy-elemental physical damage and Stop: oo to the party. 10 MP.
Light Pillar (10): Inflicts 9999 non-elemental physical damage to one target. 10 MP.
Solar Storm (100): Used once every 50 turns. Inflicts ~8000 non-elemental physical damage to the party. 10 MP.
Mighty Guard (5): Grants Haste: 50, Regen: 50, MP Regen: 50, Protect: 50, and Blink: 50 to all enemy allies. 80 MP.

As you can see here from its skillset. I don't know if it actually used most of these moves or not, sounds like Solar Storm was never used because Cyclone decided to stay used forever.

That is still very interesting you were able to take him out though. Even if it didn't use Cyclone forever, probably looks like you would've won (though Solar Storm might've been a game over...). Then again, a team of Byakuren/Aya with NulPhysical (or anyone with NulPhysical rather) could deal with this fight since it seems everything he does to damage is physical (except can't block the auto-attack, but...Blink deals with that)

Fun Fact: The way I had set the fight up is, Yiazmat's not immune to % attacks. You can hit him with Demi, Demira, Demiga, Demija, anything. Up to and including Nova Storm. Yes, that one Blue Magic spell that has a 50% chance per target, friend and foe, to reduce their HP to 1. So yeah, you can inflict 999,999 in one attack, and then finish it right there and then. Well, assuming Koishi gets her turn before Yiazmat, but even then, probably not that hard to do??
halibabica
Well, Byakuren has since moved on, so she's not exactly an option. But yeah, Aya could've kept up the physical barriers and Reimu could've kept up Blink. It would've just been an enormous pain in the ass.

I had a feeling Gravity was its "fatal flaw," but this win was more satisfying to me anyway.
Huh. I feel like something wasn't said then about something. I probably forgot to do the usual message about special items. *Ponders*

Yeah, that "flaw" is only there for those that actually attempt it, because realistically, who's going to think "Hey, this superboss is weak to % attacks!". Right? *Glares at Emerald Weapon* But good to hear that the fight IS doable somehow right now. Wonder if I should fix it though if that's the case...maybe?? Since it's not supposed to be infinite Cyclones lol??
halibabica
I'd fix the cyclone loop, but you don't have to worry about the Intel. Gravity is listed right in its weaknesses, and it's obvious something that tanky would be devastated by it.
halibabica
I think I'm getting close now~! I entered an area called "End of Gensokyo" which sounds pretty freakin' final. We got into a random battle with Youmu's dad because why not and finally erased Mima from existence.

However, that was not before she thrashed my team with her Twilight Spark multiple times. I can't tell what element it was (or if it had one), but when the battle reached the turns where she could use it, she just spammed it relentlessly, barely using anything else. It was dishing out 3000+ damage almost every other turn, and keeping up was a nightmare. It wouldn't have been such a big deal if she didn't have the same counter gimmick as that robot from way back when. A status timer on that shit would've been nice, since I could only guess as to when the effect wore off. It also would've been nice if it could be removed with Chaos' Black Hole, but that would just be too generous, huh? I'm sure there was a smarter way to approach the fight, but it seemed needlessly cruel to me. Don't give a boss a timer for their super-move AND a gimmick that's designed to drag things out.

And then she had the nerve to act like she was our friend and we'd be sad to see her go. No, Villain Q, get the f@#$ out and good riddance. Also, why is the save point two screens away from this horrible boss? I wasted three save crystals just so I wouldn't have to bother.
Ah, Mima. She is kinda like Meira back in Cave to Makai in that you have 100 turns (this includes every action each of your party member makes as well as the enemy) to beat her. The Return Damage she gets come from Reflection Nebula I think, so there SHOULD be a timer for that? I think it's 20 turns.

Attacks:
Piercing Wide Wave (10): Inflicts ~500 non-elemental Ghost damage that ignores Defense and dispels all buffs to the party. 22 MP.
Anti-Spirit Illusion (10): Inflicts ~1000 non-elemental Ghost damage to one target. 20 MP.
Wild Phantom Spirit (10): Inflicts Berserk: oo and reduces Ghost resistance to one target. 22 MP.
Evil Field (10): Inflicts Blind: oo, Silence: oo, Slow: oo, Fear: oo, Debrave: oo, Deprotect: oo, Defaith: oo, and Lock: oo, as well as reducing all resistances except Mystic to one target. 24 MP.
Reflection Nebula (100): Only used once every 60 turns. Grants Return Damage: 100% to user for next 20 turns.
Twilight Spark (100): Only used after 100 turns. Inflicts ~5000 Mystic-elemental magic damage to the party. 0 MP.
Starstorm (10): Only used when HP is below 25% Max HP. Inflicts ~2000 non-elemental magic damage to the party. 80% accuracy. 120 MP.
Healing Omega (7): Only used when HP is below 50% Max HP. Restores ~2000 HP to all enemy allies. 68 MP.

As for having Black Hole/Vortex remove those kinds of effects? That's...not exactly simple to do I think. I mean, I CAN probably do it, though would it be odd if those two Dispel moves were the only Dispel moves that could do it? Originally wanted Sakuya to be able to remove timer-based stuff like that with one of her moves, but it seemed like it could just break mechanics. : S Surprised Youki didn't give you much trouble, or diiiiid he?
halibabica
Youmudad was no problem. We just tore him up with set damage moves like we've been.

So Twilight Spark was Mystic, huh? I guess that move was supposed to be instant death instead of just mostly instant death? I put up with that for two thirds of the fight! There are no accessories I know of that null or absorb Mystic, so I piled on magic resistance items and hoped for the best.

I don't know how you managed to beat her within 100 turns, because Reflection Nebula is designed to waste your time. Having to shrug off the same amount of damage you deal is a royal pain, even just for 20 turns. Also, I had no way of knowing it lasted 20 turns because she didn't have a visible status while it was active. All I could do was smack her lightly and wait to see if I took the same damage back.

On an unrelated note, Advent Cirno's Aura Whirl doesn't do what it says. It heals a big chunk of health, but the HP/MP Regen effects are lost at higher levels. But let me guess...you never really used Advent Cirno, either?
Nah, once you get to 100 turns, that is literally all she'll use. Much like Meira, who will spam Tempest 4 times in a row after 100 turns (which you can't do anything about Meira's. I literally got lucky on my run with Mima where I had immunity buffs up to Twilight Spark lol). But yeah, 100 turns for 100,000 HP might be a bit much...I swear I beat her much earlier than that in some runs though, but I cannot for the life of me remember how. Maybe I was hitting weaknesses?? But then Nebula would've screwed with me....huh...

IIRC Reisen has a Mystic Resist buff she can cast on the party?? But yeah, Mystic resistance is the hardest thing in the game to get.

Huh. I used Advent Cirno some, but I didn't use her enough, not enough for the higher levels, since I generally went with my standard team while swapping here and there when needed.

EDIT - That's all fixed up. Yeah, the Koakuma thing was due to me not tinting the screen back at all. Terrible on my part, since that did give Cirno's upgraded Koakuma summon AND Patchouli's ultimate skill. >_< Also, for some reason, Lv1 Aura Whirl is fine, but Lv2 and Lv3 REMOVED it instead. I've seen some errors like that before, but don't know how I messed THAT up. Yiazmat, on the other hand, is gonna take a bit to fix up I feel. And I also may need to relook at Koakuma's skillset for the later half of the fight...by the by, you probably bypassed Koakuma's mechanics in the first half of the fight, I assume? lol
halibabica
from Xenomic
you probably bypassed Koakuma's mechanics in the first half of the fight, I assume? lol

Most likely. From what I recall, she was shifting her elemental resistances around. Keine and Chaos didn't give a crap about that. I could also be entirely wrong; this game has been blurring together for me over time.

Anywho, I beat/recruited Yukari today. Now we're trippin' through the void like we're playing Yume Nikki or something. The end may be just a couple sessions away...and I just crossed the 120 hour mark.

Kill me.
*Gains the following immunities at the specified HP thresholds:
*90-100% HP: Physical immunity
*80-89% HP: Magical immunity
*70-79% HP: Fire/Ice/Lightning/Wind immunity
*60-69% HP: Physical immunity
*50-59% HP: Magical immunity
*0-49% HP: No resistances

Yeah, that's a thing she does for half the fight. Makes it a bit more...scarier I feel. But thanks to those two, they just bypass resistances so lol.