STEALING IN A GAME WHERE ENEMIES CANNOT BE REFOUGHT

Pages: first prev 12 last
Perhaps you could have it so that stealing is the only way to aqcuire 'extra potent' versions of regular items that couldn't be acquired otherwise. That would make it so you would want to steal a 'better version' potion and redistribute it to other members of your team as apposed to keeping it on the theif after battle freeing up space for further thievery.

I noticed that someone else posted about receiving 1-2 stage stronger weapons from some bosses or one-time enemies. I agree with this.
Rave
Even newspapers have those nowadays.
Maybe track event direction and player direction and if they're opposite (player's behind a monster) add a "show choice" with option for pickpocket. This would remove stealing from the battle mechanic and it would also make it more engaging by having it depend on the player's stealth skills (as you need to approach monster from the back).
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Stealing equipment that you can get later anyway might work if I had a traditional FF4 style equipment system where you get a basic def upgrade in each town. I don't really know why I would put that kind of equipment system in a game with no grinding, where you get an exact amount of money from each dungeon.

The map stealing thing outside of battle is weird to only be able to do when the thief is in your party. I mean you don't control him outside of battle, he's party member #7. So it would be awkward and not feel like he was the one doing it. It also doesn't really solve my problem which is "come up with a thiefy-feeling skillset." Also I don't really wanna draw 4 directions of walking sprites for every enemy, so a lot of enemies just stand still and start a fight when you get too close, or start a fight when you enter a room.
Not sure if anyone mentioned but locked chests/doors on maps that can only be opened by a thief could be a thing.

As for skillsets, you could maybe have them steal 'money' instead? And then use that money to buy in-battle bonuses? Steal enemy experience/levels and apply them to allies/self? Steal buffs (that is, steal the enemy's accuracy/strength/agility/luck and apply it to an ally for x turns). Steal an enemy physical skill that you can use for that battle only? Steal enemy souls to power up your own soul (stat points)? Steal clothes and get disguises? Steal collectables for a complete set?
author=LockeZ
Stealing equipment that you can get later anyway might work if I had a traditional FF4 style equipment system where you get a basic def upgrade in each town. I don't really know why I would put that kind of equipment system in a game with no grinding, where you get an exact amount of money from each dungeon.

AH, that's a VERY different question entirely.

Some ideas:
- "steal" enemy stats (Inflict small debuff, gain small buff), which I see Libby's already suggested.
- "Steal" enemy skills like Grumpy Knight, where using "steal" gives you access to new skills that have limited uses.
- "Steal" triggering a random effect based on the enemy (Stealing instant-use potions, stealing a weapon to attack another enemy with it, etc)

Alternatively, you could ditch stealing entirely and just roll with rogue-esque skills. Evasion buffs, dropping defense to gain double attacks, random damage at the end of every turn for a few turns (IE, backstabs or something), stuff like inflicting bleeding damage, having skills that do more damage based on the status effects other allies can inflict (Ie, Vital Slash doing more damage to enemies that the mage has poisoned, or Gut-Punch that does bonus damage if someone has debuffed enemy attack, etc).

I've tended to go with the second approach, personally. Even in the prototype I have of an actual Thief-based game, which has stealing as a mechanic, most of the other abilities revolve around debuffs or disables or some other thing.
Have you played The Heart Pumps Clay?

That's the most memorable stealing experience for me, and it's a game where enemies cannot be refought.

The list of things to steal is relevant to the current battle and have an immediate impact on combat. For example, you can steel a puppet's strings to kill it instantly.
Pages: first prev 12 last