RPG MAKER MV PLUS (PLEASE NO!)

Pages: first 12 next last
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

Out of interest I was doing some research on the release dates of the RPG Maker engines. Let's have a look at the most recent installments:

VX Feb 29, 2008
Ace March 15, 2012
MV October 23, 2015

Between VX and Ace there is a 4 year period, but between Ace and MV there is just a 3 year period. And now it's 2018 and you can see where I'm going with this. Like with VX there was a superior version make called VX Ace. My prediction is that Enterbrain is going to keep the MV name, but I don't think they will call it MV Ace. I'm predicting MV Plus.

What is my prediction for engine improvement. They are basically going to likely focus on 1 thing. Making it easier to export to different platforms. (Because they screwed that part up with MV.) So HTML / Android / etc platforms will be a breeze to export to. And I also predict they will basically improve nothing else about the engine.

I'm really not interested in seeing another RGG Maker engine to tell you the truth. I really want them to go in a new direction with this. So, please make a Tactics RPG Maker instead (You can see how I shamelessly advocated for something I want.)

*Keep in mind this is just wild speculation, but if it turns out to be true you all owe me a beer (And I hate beer, so I had better be wrong.)

I'd enjoy if they updated MV so it didnt lag like a monster and crash over large image files tbh

Could get good use out of it then
1.6.0 is in beta right now and they have the o0en project for improving the engine so you could be right. They released VNM though so there is hope of them branching out. I'd love to see a SRPG Maker or an ARPG Maker without the need for scripts or plugins.
I don't even care if they fix the export stuff. I just want the damn editor to work and not have all my plugins break when they release a new patch.

Especially the editor bit. The thing I love about Ace is I can click around lightning-fast and never have to worry about the editor not applying something. But with MV, I'm always second-guessing anything I do.
SunflowerGames

VNM was made by the publisher, not the developer of RPG Maker. I don't think VNM will have any impact on any planned release of future RPG Makers. Though another possibility is that a rival company starts making easier / better to use engines and Enterbrain goes down (But that won't likely happen until after they release another engine or two.)

And even if I don't feel like Enterbrain should release another engine any time soon, they are a company run by profits. They make a lot of profit when they make a new engine and sell it. Small upgrades in 1 area, downgrades in others. A continued cycle. Sounds like EA almost.

One day you'll get back your three layered mapping (hey they might might add some.)

pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
Tactical RPG Maker would definitely be worth a look for me. Also, 3D RPG Maker (don't tell me it's not possible; I've got a 3D RPG developer in my library: GameGuru).

With MV there are frankly a lot of things that still have to be fixed so I doubt it will just be alternate platform support. Their most recent patches optimized mobile and removed all optimization for the desktop. Their framerate is still shit. They still have a problem with picture files showing up too slowly in eventing. Shift mapping is still developmentally disabled. That three layer mapping isn't as nice as I thought it would be, mostly because layered mapping has always been a middle finger to copy-paste, and an extra layer just makes it that much harder to cope (unless they did it like the 2000 and 2003 versions, which had no fucking problem whatsoever with keeping layers separate on the map. Seriously, software from 2015 can't handle what 20-year-old software could.).
so im not the only one getting lag on MV games?
author=bicfarmer

Nope. Legit have a 5000$ powerhouse comp and the editor is a laggy, crashy mess. Very unfortunate.
Degica? And that's fine because english VNM support is housed with the english RM over on RMW.

As for the optimization issues I used Yanfly's patch to add the desktop optimization back in. Additionally I've never had problems with the editor being laggy or in game lag with MV. I did however have that weird pixeling issue with time fantasy that forced me to switch to VX Ace
Mirak
Stand back. Artist at work. I paint with enthusiasm if not with talent.
Fuck man i should have refunded mv when i had the chance after all. I was thinking of making a picture heavy game with it but based on what you guys are saying it would not work.
author=Mirak
Fuck man i should have refunded mv when i had the chance after all. I was thinking of making a picture heavy game with it but based on what you guys are saying it would not work.

It absolutely wouldn't, I'd imagine.

Part of my current project involves using tiled pictures as maps, and it really didn't like that, lol
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
Arcmagik
As for the optimization issues I used Yanfly's patch to add the desktop optimization back in.

That is absolutely not a defense of MV! The fact that you have to go to a third party developer (in this case, Yanfly) to get what you need and the fact the Degica won't restore that functionality on their own isn't something that's on the individual developers. There's no excuse for why we should have to pick up the slack for basic incompetence.
author=pianotm
Their most recent patches optimized mobile and removed all optimization for the desktop.

Hoo man, I hadn't even heard about this.

Just what the heck is going on over there.
An ex-microsoft employee started working there.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
author=Roden
author=bicfarmer
Nope. Legit have a 5000$ powerhouse comp and the editor is a laggy, crashy mess. Very unfortunate.

not $5k but still very good comp and same for me. that and the really awkward plugin system making the external js editing, well, awkward....
SunflowerGames

author=bicfarmer

I made 1 game using MV out of interest, but this is the main reason I will not use it to make any other games. VX Ace is still the best and I doubt they are ever going to top it.

If they added multi platform support to VX Ace through some miracle patch it would be game over for MV. And when the only excuse to get MV is so you can export to other platforms besides Windows, you don't end up with a very good excuse to buy the engine.

Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
I've never attempted to dev with MV (to be fair, I'm not doing much of any kind of dev, though, I suppose that's beside the point), but, I seem to vaguely recall doing testing for piano's Dreamscapes. The first couple of betas I played felt randomly slow at times, though, it was most notable in battles, and displaying animations. Like, I specifically recall using an area-of-attack ice move, and there was... this pause, then a brief flash of animation before the damage numbers popped up? I'm not even sure if I'm describing this properly and I have the third worst memory.
Yeah I think the sad thing about VXAce being better is that MV has nice things like higher resolution options and portability. But those pros are so few compared to Ace. Basic things like performance, bloated file sizes and no internal IDE for scripting just wets the bed. Not to mention it's really... just the same program.
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
I think there will be something like MV Ace in 2019. They have no reason to try something new and everyone will be glad to have an enhanced version of MV.

A bigger player trying to come-up with something like rm would be cool and it would probably push enterbrain too.
Pages: first 12 next last