ITCH.IO SCANDAL :: CHECK YOUR NAMES AND GAMES!

Pages: first prev 123 next last
author=kory_toombs
I used some search terms and found these popular games
https://itch.io/games/tag-rpgmaker

I found:
Pocket Mirror
The Huntress of the Hollow
Aria's Story
Nocturne: Rebirth (English)
Erayu
Luxaren Allure

I can't confirm if they were added by user or not though.
If there's some way to mass PM people about this issue I
would recommend it. This looks like a very serious problem.

The pages with malware all seem to be fairly recent (within the last week). I know some RMN members have cross-uploaded to itch.io in the past, myself included. If you look at Luxaren Allure, for example, it was uploaded over a year ago and has comments from Unity.
unity
You're magical to me.
author=SgtMettool
author=kory_toombs
I used some search terms and found these popular games
https://itch.io/games/tag-rpgmaker

I found:
Pocket Mirror
The Huntress of the Hollow
Aria's Story
Nocturne: Rebirth (English)
Erayu
Luxaren Allure

I can't confirm if they were added by user or not though.
If there's some way to mass PM people about this issue I
would recommend it. This looks like a very serious problem.
The pages with malware all seem to be fairly recent (within the last week). I know some RMN members have cross-uploaded to itch.io in the past, myself included. If you look at Luxaren Allure, for example, it was uploaded over a year ago and has comments from Unity.

Yeah, thanks for the heads up, but in this case this is my legit itch.io account. I've started cross-posting finished games there for some extra exposure XD
Solitayre
Circumstance penalty for being the bard.
Hmm, wasn't the guy peddling that fake Mystic Quest Remake (Kisareth?) hiding Malware in that game's download? Wonder if it's the work of the same person.
...posted this on the first page - reposting it here because this issue is quite serious and needs to be made more clear:

(in order to cut down on false positives)

After looking at a couple of these gamepage accounts there seems to be a pattern between these accounts:

1)Often these malware itch.io games pages, will be game pages that have been published quite recently.

If you check "More Info" it'll usually say "Published 12 hours ago" or "2 days ago". (the longest account was published 8 days ago)

2)Another thing to look out for is shared file or suspicious file sizes.
-In the example I posted above you'll notice, there's 3 games on this account, but each game on this account, shares a file size of 189MB,
-Other times, these games will have file sizes that don't match with their RMN counter parts:
i.e. Hero's Realm is 26MB on RMN. - on itch.io Hero's Realm is 11MB, 111MB or 189MB

3)if you're still not sure, use virus total to check for malware
Out of curiosity, I decided to upload/scan Mystic Quest Remastered, because I thought it was odd, someone would release an unreleased game of frogge's on itch.io, it only took a few of minutes but the scan came back with 20 detections of malware.

if the gamepage was published 2 - 8 days ago, or the file size looks suspicious, it's probably malware - if you're still not sure, use virus total

...Alot of RMN users have already uploaded their rpgmaker games to itch.io - what we're looking out for are games that have been published within a span of 8 days or have suspicious looking file sizes on itch.io
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
rip not popular enough
author=Craze
rip not popular enough

same

Although both of my games are already on itch.io under my legitimate account so that may have stopped reuploads?? IDK
Not likely. I've found a few games that had doubles on the site and since reported the fake ones. Having an account or your game already up doesn't mean you're safe from this, unfortunately.

halibabica
RMN's Official Reviewmonger
There was a copy of Eye Sore on there? Huh. I wonder if they didn't just grab everything from our Buzzing Games category on the front page. It was up there after I posted my review.
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

author=halibabica
There was a copy of Eye Sore on there? Huh. I wonder if they didn't just grab everything from our Buzzing Games category on the front page. It was up there after I posted my review.

Doesn't add up:
1) No Gold for Brigands wasn't buzzing during that time.
2) Tears of Revenge was buzzing, and that was prior to the review.

Eye Sore doesn't make much sense. The game has so little downloads and isn't very popular. If you wanted to spread a virus it would be better to choose something more popular to spread your virus. Maybe they thought picking small things would go under the radar?

halibabica
RMN's Official Reviewmonger
Well, that's the only reason I can imagine they would've picked it up. It must not be their only criteria, but games in Buzzing may be at greater risk.
*Phew* Luckily none of my games (Completed or not), nor my account name is on there. Though I'm tempting to legitly do such a thing in the future. I'm just glad there's no faker posing as me on itch.io and giving out spam to every person who downloads the fake version of my completed games/demos. And I had one completed game and it stunk because I was a young Tweenager, or maybe a bit older then.
Wait what holy shit. :o What the actual hell is wrong with people?!

author=Liberty
Not likely. I've found a few games that had doubles on the site and since reported the fake ones. Having an account or your game already up doesn't mean you're safe from this, unfortunately.

Ah, and here I was thinking that's why none of my games got turned into Trojan Horses (I crosspost my work to itch all the time).

Well, thanks for the heads up. I'll check this every once in a while, then.

Thank you for all you do, Libby. :)
AkarithePeanut
A lazy teenager's spirit in a mid 20 adult's body
My god, thanks for us letting know
KrimsonKatt
Gamedev by sunlight, magical girl by moonlight
Luckily, none of my games (old or new) are on there. I was unlikely anyways since I only have one game on my profile and it's just a demo with 40 downloads.
This is a real shocker. I experienced this when a recent demo was released about a couple weeks ago. All of a sudden, a fake account came under my name with all the projects I've worked on. It even said that I created Mega Man Revenge of the Fallen; which is 100% FALSE! Obviously, the person with the fake account didn't do any research at all XD.

Instead of messing around with this, I emailed itch.io directly with an account I created on the spot to notify them of it. The next day, the fake account was terminated immediately. Bottom line is, be careful where you place your work, because there is a chance someone may pretend to be you and distribute viruses and other junk like others have been discussing in this topic. Such despicable behavior.
Dyluck
For thousands of years, I laid dormant. Who has disturbed my slumber?
Unfortunately, even though the fake account and fake game page that was impersonating my stuff was long removed, it still shows up as a page result on a google search. It's not a big deal, since it still leads to removed page, but just thought I'd mention it.
author=Dyluck
Unfortunately, even though the fake account and fake game page that was impersonating my stuff was long removed, it still shows up as a page result on a google search. It's not a big deal, since it still leads to removed page, but just thought I'd mention it.

It would be removed once google crawls around the site in the future and verified that it is a removed page. or you can forced a removed at https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/removals?pli=1
which google will check it if it a removed link or not then it will be removed from searches. The tools cannot removed web pages that has legitimate content nor for use in copyright related reasons so you have to go to the website owner to removed the offending page in question then use the tool to removed the link to the dead page afterward. the tool can be used by anyone even if you don't own the site since not every site owners would do the steps after removing a page.
I could actually google my name and itch.io and find my projects uploaded last february. Weird... Gladly they have now been deleted either by the staff or by the uploader.
Judging by Liberty's personality - she can't stand the success of others, yet still wants to be popular -, I think she is most likely the culprit of the malware-infected itch.io uploads. First she tarnishes the reputation of popular games she isn't able to develop, then she "discovers" these malware-infected uploads to be praised as the savior - a behavior pattern typical of narcissitic arsonists. It's still only a working theory, though, but one I'm confident in since I'll probably get banned for simply stating my reasonable suspicion.
omg how did you no!??!?!?!

-.-

Pages: first prev 123 next last