[MAFIA] PURGATORY: A MAFIA GAME

pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
It's simple. This is a vanilla mafia, with no powers, with one exception: everyone is a Dead Ringer:

A Dead Ringer is a player that when lynched, they may continue posting in the thread and participating as if they were still alive. They simply lose their ability to vote. Scum will not be able to post on the main thread upon death, but they will be able to post on their night chat as if they hadn't died.

About Mafia
Mafia is a forum game of informed minority (the Mafia) vs an uninformed majority (the Town). Each player is secretly assigned a team at the start of the game. Play starts in "day" phase, where town discusses who's likely to be mafia and votes against them, while the mafia tries to direct suspicion elsewhere. Then during "night" phase, the thread is closed and mafia discuss privately who to murder at night. Play alternates between these two phases until either town wins by catching all the mafia, or the mafia wins by outnumbering town.

- Each player gets a single vote to use during the day that they may change as many times as they wish to vote for any player
- Vote with eg #lynch OzzyTheOne, and if you change your mind you can #cancel and vote for someone else later
- When a majority of players are voting for a certain player, that player is "lynched" at the end of the day.
- We'll start with 48 hour days and 24 hour nights and go from there -- I'll provide countdown clocks always
- This is an open setup. If there 15 or more players, there will be 4 scum. If there are 12-14, there will be 3 scum. Fewer than 12, and there will be 2 scum.

Rules lawyering fine print
Do not:
- Edit your posts
- Be dishonest in interactions with the moderator
- Contact any player in or outside of the game about the game unless specifically allowed by your role, and when allowed, only do so in the specific manner allowed
- Do anything that would be considered cheating
- Quote PMs for the moderator or take a screen capture of it (paraphrasing is fine)
- Analyze the mechanics of a PMs for the moderator in comparison to other players, eg, "the fourth word of my role PM is 'town,'" or "my PM was sent at 11:23, when was yours?"
- Talk about the game outside of the topic
- Sabotage your own side, even if your teammates are morons
- Use cryptography
- Use steganography (eg small or invisible text to attempt to avoid detection)
- Use confirmed randomness

Do:
- Post actively, there is a five daily post minimum (that's day phase, not actual days).
- Let the moderator know if you won't be around

For violations, there are penalties.

Our Dead Ringers
  • Gourd_Clae
  • Muffle
  • CAVE_DOG_IS_BACK
  • demonlord5000
  • Jeroen_Sol
  • Cap_H
  • LockeZ
  • psy_wombats
  • HuniBear
  • Aneko
Oh, that sounds fun! Sign me up, pardner!
pianotm
Sorry, I just copied psy's rules. I've fixed them.

There's no hammer and it's an open setup.
pianotm
Any number as long as we have enough to play.
Should advertise this in the rmn discord chat, not everybody looks at forums.
When I inevitably die I'm just going to yell at whoever voted against me rather than do anything productive, just FYI.
author=psy_wombats
When I inevitably die I'm just going to yell at whoever voted against me rather than do anything productive, just FYI.

This sounds legit.
pianotm
So, psy, does that comment mean you're joining?
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
I'm not signing up because my brain is too broken for mafia but this sounds hella fun so it has my seal of approval. :Ib
I'm in. I wonder just how crazy the chat will be toward the end.
pianotm
Voters will have a cheering section.
Jeroen_Sol
Nothing reveals Humanity so well as the games it plays. A game of betrayal, where the most suspicious person is brutally murdered? How savage.
author=psy_wombats
^

Nah, I'll be a good boy who tries to reason from a wrong assumption and thus is ultimately wrong no matter what.
But let's do this!
pianotm
Actually, should I go with majority or plurality?
Jeroen_Sol
Nothing reveals Humanity so well as the games it plays. A game of betrayal, where the most suspicious person is brutally murdered? How savage.
I say majority. Even with tree stumps, you can still have hammer.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Majority vote with no hammer makes sense to me.

I'm in.

I don't like the hammer rule anyway. People seem obsessed with the idea of "waiting to vote" because they don't want to end the day early. But doesn't make any sense in a game where we're all over the world in different time zones and half the players will be missing during the last 12 hours. Without a hammer rule, people feel more free to actually just vote.