[RM2K3] CRAZY BATTLE TEXT COLOURS

Pages: 1
I've recently run in to a weird bug, and I'm hoping someone has figured out how to fix it.

After I released my first demo, some people said they didn't like the textbox colour, so I've added an option to change it to a few other options that will hopefully keep everyone happy. The system works just fine, except...

The problem is, whenever the System graphics change in-game the numbers representing damage to the party go insane. By default they should be White (the colour of text in my game) but whenever a party member takes damage, both the primary and secondary (shadow) colour seem to be selected at random. Light blues, dark oranges, bright yellows... these are drawn from nowhere, as they're certainly not included with the System file.

This only happens to damage the party receives, enemy damage is normal. The System graphics work fine when they are the default graphics (and not changed in-game).

Anyone know what the heck is going on?
Hmm... Are program put one memory locker two different number?
And that was about 2003 time? I Surprised REALLY them NOT seen that SELF :( .
author=EgyLynx
Hmm... Are program put one memory locker two different number?

It seems that it is storing multiple System graphics in one memory location without clearing it first, since the pre-change graphics seem to dictate (partially) the new damage numbers.

Fun update: crazy colours (different crazy colours!) also apply to healing colour on the party.
I had this problem years ago with my old game when I changed system graphics. However, I remember it only affecting me if I changed graphics during battle. If I changed them outside of battle and then entered battle, it was fine. So it may have been something very similar but not exactly identical.

As for a fix, I think I changed the text colors for all of the used system graphics to be the same. But I'm not 100% sure, and you may not want to do that anyway.
Yeah, this is being changed through an item that calls a common event outside of battle. Definitely related, though.

I have all my text colours set to be the same across all the System files. The only thing different is the colour of the background and the borders. I thought maybe it had something to do with the shadow colour, but that's the same too.

I've noticed that exactly ONE of my System files works fine, unless I change any of the default palettes apart from the two I've already changed. If I do that, it stops working (correctly).

Grr!
author=Kaempfer
I've noticed that exactly ONE of my System files works fine, unless I change any of the default palettes apart from the two I've already changed. If I do that, it stops working (correctly).

Just to clarify:
You have a series of custom system graphics. Two of them are interchangeable (you can swap them back and forth without causing the issue in battle), but if you change to any system graphic other than the two, you get the funky text colors. Is that accurate, or have I misunderstood you?

Are you using the most recently released English version of rm2k3 or the older version?
Yeah, you've got it.

What is specifically happening:
I boot the game with a special System graphic so the title screen looks a certain way. As soon as you exit the title screen (through start or load game), the System changes to the 'regular' blue System graphic, which seems to work fine for the most part. After that, if I change it to anything else... wonky colours. I also tried changing the System graphic directly to one of the other ones (instead of Blue) and they still show up with wonky colours.

The only difference between my six selectable System sets is the background colour. Text colours, border colours, et cetera are all identical, otherwise.

As a test, I tried setting the default System to the Blue System instead of the special Title System, but the same problem happened when I changed it. If I set one of the other System colours to be the default (the one the game boots with) it works fine until changed.
Could you upload (or link) the two system sets that work and one that does not so that I can see if I can replicate the issue on my end?
Change just one color in game was ok... otherwise it begin do random like...
Piiiip! WHY THE VEJITA Them left that piiiiiiip rule?!
The games boots with set as the default:

When I change it to this one, it mostly works:

This one, on the other hand, shows damage as blue and healing as orange:

edit: If I change the green (healing) colouration in "System E" from a gradient to a solid colour, weird things start happening. I suspect this MIGHT have something to do with gradients/colour counts, but I have no idea.
The good news is that fixing the one that didn't work was as simple as taking the one that did work and recoloring the background color.

The bad news is that I can't figure out why it didn't work in the first place. All I did was change the background color in the working one to the exact same color you had from the one with problems. And I honestly don't see anything different between the two options now, although I lack programs which can appropriately compare palettes (I did some checks, but checking all the colors manually would take too much time).

So I'm not sure. Maybe when I'm back with my main machine I'll check out the game where I originally had this problem and look at the system sets I use there.
Do you remember exactly which colours you changed? Because your variant seems to have identical colours to my black System graphics (000000 for the black background, 1D1D1E for the grey).

Which program did you save your edited .png in? Perhaps it's exporting with different options than paint.net is...
To make the image, I used iDraw to import "System_E.png", then I changed the blue background to the black background, using the same color from "System_E2.png", which was #000000. The grey color already matched. I changed no other colors.

Because I started with "System_E.png", it is possible that what I posted differs slightly with "System_E2.png", but I checked a fair number of the colors and did not find any differences.

I have wondered about different options upon export, but I'm pretty sure that's not the problem. I wrote my own color conversion program to make 256-color .png images, which means I know how a 256-color .png is constructed. It's mostly just raw pixel by pixel color data (a palette with color references, technically). The only weird thing about the format is that it's all in groups (I don't remember exactly, but I think it's groups of 8 pixels each) which means that for most images there's blank data. However, I can't imagine the blank data impacts anything. And it doesn't make sense to me that the order of the palette should matter either.

That said, I also know that rm2k3 doesn't read all color data. So while you can place any color in the palette in a png, rm2k3 just says "screw you, it's this instead" when used. I don't know the specifics on this, but there's a forum post from sometime that describes it all. But even with this I don't know what would cause the weird behavior.

So I still think it has to be something with how the colors change in the images themselves. I just don't know exactly what that is, because the images you showed looked 100% OK, but for some reason one didn't work until I did (from my perspective) nothing to it.
author=Kaempfer
I've recently run in to a weird bug, and I'm hoping someone has figured out how to fix it.

After I released my first demo, some people said they didn't like the textbox colour, so I've added an option to change it to a few other options that will hopefully keep everyone happy. The system works just fine, except...

The problem is, whenever the System graphics change in-game the numbers representing damage to the party go insane. By default they should be White (the colour of text in my game) but whenever a party member takes damage, both the primary and secondary (shadow) colour seem to be selected at random. Light blues, dark oranges, bright yellows... these are drawn from nowhere, as they're certainly not included with the System file.

This only happens to damage the party receives, enemy damage is normal. The System graphics work fine when they are the default graphics (and not changed in-game).

Anyone know what the heck is going on?

Yeah, I've seen this. When you suddenly change colors (especially by variable), sometimes it kinda screws up somehow. I found this when fussing with the game_clock plugin thing. I had a ton of shifting by variable and it screwed with stuff.

Now, if you WANT screwy colors, here you go.

Grey and gold

Banana peanut-butter

Watermelon Xmas

Valentines

I basically made these because people kept asking me to adjust colors that I had spent hours trying to get to blend with different contrasts, only to basically have ppl with low res computers or color-blindness critique them. I also have normal colors, but these I made for fun. The circle one comes out tie-dyed, the other one is an octarine blend.
@hedge1:
I finally got around to trying your solution for myself and it seems to have worked, at least for the black background! Numbers are normal now. I still can't change them (I wanted to change the green gradient, but it's no big deal) but at least I have some options. Thanks a lot!

@bulma:
I changed them directly, not via variable.

It seems like the colour memory of the system set is being borked on some invisible, internal level, maybe as a byproduct of .png compression. I'll do some more tests with .bmp in the future.
Glad to hear you got it to work, at least in the case outlined above.

I finally got around to checking my ancient project where I changed system sets, and while some did work fully, I was sad to see that most did not. I think back in the day I must have just checked the damage numbers, not healing, and didn't notice the full issue. I do remember the damage numbers being wonky, so I can understand why I checked what I did.

Such as weird (and unfortunate) glitch.
Pages: 1