REVIEWS DONT MATTER

Pages: first 12 next last
Why not? Here's the reason:

This guy is heavily prejudiced. Obviously there is no way you can change his mind, there's no room for discussion here. You all probably know this mindset is pretty widespread, theres dedicated youtube channels that specifically propagate this sort of thinking. But we are all here because we like this software. How would you feel if you got a review like this for your gam? Not much to say, lol.
Personally I wouldn't trust the critical thinking capabilities of someone who says "It's in RPG Maker therefore it is bad." Nor would I trust anyone who who say as such for a game made in Game Maker, Unity, or on the basis of any blanket statement in general.

With reviews like that, there is nothing to really be gained. But thankfully I don't see reviews like those as often nowadays.
Steam reviews 9 times out of 10 share more in common with youtube comments than they do actual reviews.
This is not a review: it doesn't say what is good and bad about the game. Engine strongly influences the type of game one can build. But the quality of a game depends on the developer skill and dedication to the project.

I admit I also have a prejudice against RPG Maker: I dislike the menu based combat system. But many RM games shine through story, pixel art, humor, character development, mini games and some games tune the combat system or build a new system. I like some games that use the default battle system because they shine in other aspects. I think reviewers should point to features they like or dislike instead of making general statement about the game based on its engine.

A youtuber, incorrectly thought one of my games was an RM game, and he evaluated the game for what it is and gave very useful feedback. So not every youtuber is as engine biased as the one you encountered.
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
author=Irog
This is not a review: it doesn't say what is good and bad about the game.

Um, it clearly says the game was made in RPG Maker. That counts as a bad thing, duh.
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
This happens in every form of media. Look at rotten tomatoes or IMDB and see people giving half ass reviews to movies that cost like waaay more than all the rpg maker games put together.

Yeah, rm has its haters and reputation but y'know, fuck it.
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

Steam has little regulations when it comes to posting a review.
I have even posted reviews that had little to no information about the game itself, because sometimes its fun to say something funny about the game instead. Decided to go to Steam and get some of my reviews.

My review of If My Heart Had Wings =

Played patched version / Playtime recorded incorrectly

If my heart had wings I would probably die. I mean the wings fluttering around the inside of my body would kill me. Not to mention the fact that my heart could easisly fly right outside of my chest cavity.

Great story by the way.

My review of Consortium =

Windows might be checking for a solution, but I found one:

Uninstall Program.

My review if Inquisitor =

Tried to play on normal, wow got killed.

Tried to play on easy, got killed again, wtf!

Guess the only thing left is to play it on hard.

I'd say, at least, 90% of RPG Maker games are generally terrible. So, when they say "it's another RPG maker game" they probably mean "It's just another RPG maker game, with nothing to separate it from the rest."

It's not a very well written review, but there's usually something constructive you can take out of any feedback, if not from the feedback it'self, than from why the feedback was given.
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
I totally disagree. People like you and kory definitely aren't helping anything. 90% is way too high, stop being a hipster. And kory, writing shitty little quips isn't cool either.

C'mon.
I'd say 90% of all games are pretty bad, honestly. 90% of all media, in fact. The bad stuff, I mean the really bad stuff, sinks to the bottom, and you'll usually never hear about it.

I could probably pull some numbers of some kind if you want, but yes, at least 90%
author=Pancaek
I'd say 90% of all games are pretty bad, honestly. 90% of all media, in fact. The bad stuff, I mean the really bad stuff, sinks to the bottom, and you'll usually never hear about it.

I could probably pull some numbers of some kind if you want, but yes, at least 90%

I don't know if I would say 90% of all media is bad. Id say 90% of media is mediocre/boring/uninspired which is a far bigger crime in my book. Then id go on the record as saying 5% of media is truly bad and 5% is genuinely good.

author=visitorsfromdreams
I don't know if I would say 90% of all media is bad. Id say 90% of media is mediocre/boring/uninspired which is a far bigger crime in my book. Then id go on the record as saying 5% of media is truly bad and 5% is genuinely good.

Yeah, I'd agree with that for the most part. I generally count anything boring and uninspired as bad.
author=Pancaek

Yeah, I'd agree with that for the most part. I generally count anything boring and uninspired as bad.

I feel like generally when things are truly bad there's some entertainment to be had, either at the expense of the content or the expense of the creator. If something is boring there's nothing to redeem it.
I feel like generally when things are truly bad there's some entertainment to be had, either at the expense of the content or the expense of the creator. If something is boring there's nothing to redeem it.

I know what you mean. It's just different ways of wording the same thing. I'd personally rather just classify anything boring as "bad" because it gave me a bad experience to play it. The other type of bad, the good-bad, is when something gives a good experience that was completely different from the one that the creator would've intended for.
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
As a connoisseur of entertainingly bad things, most actually bad things are monumentally boring. Bad things that wrap around to genius are really rare. Most of it is just creators who lack the competence to realize they're just doing the same thing as everyone else.

See also: the chat RP tavern full of dark corners to support the population of mysterious hooded katana wielders.
@Sooz

That's my view as well. Very bad and very good are in the same category: memorable. And memorable is the rarest category of media. Sometimes, however, memorable isn't profitable...
author=Sooz
See also: the chat RP tavern full of dark corners to support the population of mysterious hooded katana wielders.

Are you an IRC rp veteran too? Lol
Sooz
Not IRC, but that shit was universal. XD

I wonder if it's still hooded katana doods, or whether there's some new go-to for "I want to play an awesome badass."
From what I've seen most chat-based rp is dead. There are a few hold outs but most of them are the same people with a multitude of dumb characters and drama.

Seems like more people do Play by Post nowadays. Less time consuming... they say.
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
nobody cares about steam reviews. If you like rm games, this doesn't matter for you. If you are sceptical about rm games, this isn't a decisive factor. If you don't know about rm being a thing, you're more likely to buy another copy of counter-strike than an rm game.
A vast majority of rm games are their own niche thing and semi-closed market. My opinion is that not everyone should be trying to sell their first bigger game on Steam. Poeple are more kind when you're giving them stuff for free.

Pages: first 12 next last