MAFIA: IS THIS WEREWOLF? [MAFIA]

Welcome to Is This Werewolf?, a Mafia game consisting of a small town trying to hunt for the werewolves pillaging their village, the trick is finding the werewolves that are blending in with the citizens!

Dadada, Muffle is here as the mod of a Mafia (non roleplay) game! Never enough forum games.

So instead of just Mafia scum it's werewolf scum!

About Mafia
Mafia is a forum game of informed minority (the Mafia) vs an uninformed majority (the Town). Each player is secretly assigned a team at the start of the game. Play starts in "day" phase, where town discusses who's likely to be mafia and votes against them, while the mafia tries to direct suspicion elsewhere. Then during "night" phase, the thread is closed and mafia discuss privately who to murder at night. Play alternates between these two phases until either town wins by catching all the mafia, or the mafia wins by outnumbering town.

- Each player gets a single vote to use during the day that they may change as many times as they wish to vote for any player
- Vote with eg #lynch OzzyTheOne, and if you change your mind you can #cancel and vote for someone else later
- When a majority of players are voting for a certain player, that player is "lynched" at the end of the day.
- We'll start with 48 hour days and 24 hour nights and go from there -- I'll provide countdown clocks always
- The final set up will be ten players.

Rules lawyering fine print
Do not:
- Edit your posts
- Be dishonest in interactions with the moderator
- Contact any player in or outside of the game about the game unless specifically allowed by your role, and when allowed, only do so in the specific manner allowed
- Do anything that would be considered cheating
- Quote PMs for the moderator or take a screen capture of it (paraphrasing is fine)
- Analyze the mechanics of a PMs for the moderator in comparison to other players, eg, "the fourth word of my role PM is 'town,'" or "my PM was sent at 11:23, when was yours?"
- Talk about the game outside of the topic
- Sabotage your own side, even if your teammates are morons
- Use cryptography
- Use steganography (eg small or invisible text to attempt to avoid detection)
- Use confirmed randomness

Do:
- Post actively, there is a five daily post minimum (that's day phase, not actual days).
- Let the moderator know if you won't be around

The date is October 4th, 1984. (nope did not steal that from When They Cry) In a small village tucked away from the other bustling cities, it's been a peaceful little town for several years, housing a small number of people. The great and awesome Mayor of this village, Muffle, had recently been having some paranoia attacks, claiming part of the townsfolk to be werewolves coming to get her. The townsfolk worried about her believing she might have some sort of sickness causing her to act this way, until...

One night one of the villagers went to discuss something with the Mayor, and inside her house, she lay on the floor with obvious maulings from some sort of beast, dead and bloody. This sent the town into a state of panic. Some decided to flee, in the state of panic a couple others were killed. Ten of the last villagers remaining in the village decided they would not give their home up to these monsters, thus starting the Salem Werewolf Trials plan to come together every night to lynch someone after discussing who could be the werewolves hiding in the village.

Players
pianotm has the psychiatrist
demonlord5000 as the mayor's most trusted assistant
Jeroen_Sol as the world's country's region's village's mayor's spouse's daughter's best friend with benefits mayor's daughter's best friends
CAVE_DOG_IS_BACK as that one aristocrat
Aneko as the orphan
Gourd_Clae as the widowed woman
JJJ7 as the Mayor's daughter
psy_wombats as a random nobody
LockeZ as the farmer
Hunibear as a foreigner that settled in town

How to sign up

I'm not good with basic edits and so wasn't able to put anything on the photo, so I'll just put here:

There are ten villagers, pick your favorite
1. Mayor's Daughter Taken by JJJ7
2. Farmer Taken by LockeZ
3. Foreigner that settled in town Taken by HuniBear
4. Mayor's Most Trusted Assistant Taken by demonlord5000
5. Widowed Woman Taken by Gourd_Clae
6. Just a Random Nobody Taken by psy_wombats
7. Psychiatrist from another city called to help Muffle who shouldn't even be here but was forced to stay due to being the witness of Muffle's body and a foreigner that could be a suspect Taken by pianotm
8. Orphan Taken by aneko
9. That one Aristocrat Taken by CAVE_DOG_IS_BACK
10. Mayor's Daughters Best Friend Taken by Jeroen_Sol

EDIT: Forgot to say, compared to the others to win this one is different. All scum must be eliminated for Town to win obviously, but for scum to win all Town must be eliminated as well. Unlike the others, I've played where if scum count is the same as town count.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
Sign me up.
Which villager piano?
1. Mayor's Daughter
2. Farmer
3. Foreigner who settled down.
4. Mayor's Most Trusted Assistant
5. Widowed Woman
6. Just a Random Nobody
7. Psychiatrist from another city called to help Muffle who shouldn't even be here but was forced to stay due to being the witness of Muffle's body and a foreigner that could be a suspect
8. Orphan
9. That one Aristocrat
10. Mayor's Daughters Best Friend
I'll join up as the mayor's most trusted assistant. Don't worry, you will be able to trust me everyone.
pianotm
Psychiatrist.
Jeroen_Sol
Nothing reveals Humanity so well as the games it plays. A game of betrayal, where the most suspicious person is brutally murdered? How savage.
Ah yes, the world's country's region's village's mayor's spouse's daughter's best friend with benefits.

Sure, why not.
pianotm
But there's no father's, brother's, nephew's, cousin's, neighbor's roommate.
CAVE_DOG_IS_BACK
On sunny days, I go out walking
i'm... that one artistocrat
Orphan or Widowed Woman

(i'll be as active as I can <3)
I shall be the Widowed woman Gourdy.
I'm terrible at this game.

I'll be the Mayor's daughter!

I'll play, I'm assuming if it's set in a murderous rural village in the early 1980's that this is still When They Cry except we're doing Higurashi this time. Seems most fitting for me to be a Nobody.

EDIT: Forgot to say, compared to the others to win this one is different. All scum must be eliminated for Town to win obviously, but for scum to win all Town must be eliminated as well. Unlike the others, I've played where if scum count is the same as town count.

As a note, this is usually because when there are equal numbers of town/scum, it's impossible for town to win.

Also note that I actually did run the numbers for 10 players 2 scum vanilla - 80% scum winrate if firing blindly. Dunno if there are PRs or not.
Jeroen_Sol
Nothing reveals Humanity so well as the games it plays. A game of betrayal, where the most suspicious person is brutally murdered? How savage.
Well, of course town should lose if it lynches completely blindly.

The standard game is 9 players 2 scum, so 10 players 2 scum should actually be slightly town-biased. At least compared to the standard game.
author=psy_wombats
I'll play, I'm assuming if it's set in a murderous rural village in the early 1980's that this is still When They Cry except we're doing Higurashi this time. Seems most fitting for me to be a Nobody.

As a note, this is usually because when there are equal numbers of town/scum, it's impossible for town to win.

Also note that I actually did run the numbers for 10 players 2 scum vanilla - 80% scum winrate if firing blindly. Dunno if there are PRs or not.

Should I scrap this idea then? My first Mafia game did this.
author=Jeroen_Sol
Well, of course town should lose if it lynches completely blindly.
Scum is assumed to be able to mislead during the day phase just as much as town is able to suss out the scum. The model might be slightly scum-skewed, but not by a full 30 percentage points. In an 11/2 case, the numbers are significantly better for town because they get LYLO instead of MYLO. Likewise 10/2 is actually worse than 9/2 iirc, don't have access to sim at the moment.

In the 9/2 setups you're thinking of, town has power roles.

(interesting note: 8/2 is actually only a 82% scum winrate, not even much worse)

author=Muffle
Should I scrap this idea then? My first Mafia game did this.
The game should end when one side can no longer win -- otherwise what's the point of continuing?
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
It can make sense if there are some really weird power roles, but in general, I don't see the point. "There is no way for town to kill anyone any more" is the point where you want to stop the game and say that the mafia wins.
author=LockeZ
It can make sense if there are some really weird power roles, but in general, I don't see the point. "There is no way for town to kill anyone any more" is the point where you want to stop the game and say that the mafia wins.

Yeah, fixed. -_-)b

You going to join LockeZ?
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
I'm in every mafia game. I'll join in the spots aren't full in a day or two, but I'll wait and give other people a chance for once.
Just reminding everyone that I am dead, my most trusted assistant failed to help me, the quack psychiatrist misdiagnosed me, my daughter is now an orphan, and we need two more people to find the werewolves that did to this to me.

Avenge me, my beloved people.