WANT OPINION ON STEAL PROBABILITY

Pages: 1
I've decided to make a standard stealing rate for each item. I'd just like to know if these are reasonable or not.

"Number given in database" is there because the conditional fork for not stealing an item is - If random number is equal to or below. So with the Potion for example, 80% chance you'll steal one, 20% chance that you won't be successful.

Notes

_____ Drink (Temporary Stat boost)
_____ Tome (Works like the Sources in Final Fantasy VII)
Relic (low level)
(This covers relics like Star Pendant, Goggles, etc from Final Fantasy VI)

Relic (high level)
(This covers relics like the Aurora Ring, Cold Ring, etc from Final Fantasy VII. It will increase a character's resistance so it nullifies elemental damage)

Relic (rare/powerful)
(This covers relics like Ribbon, Gold Hairpin, etc)

Status Heal+ works like a Remedy in Final Fantasy VI and VIII

The different Mana items work like this
Drink = Ether
Tonic = Dry Ether (Final Fantasy IV)
Tincture = Turbo Ether (Final Fantasy VII)
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
I personally like the way those look. They seem really reasonable, the miss chance is low but present, and you're probably going to miss regularly. Just a minor tweak: I'd probably raise high power relic to 50 percent and drop rare/powerful relic to 25 percent. A 1 in 4 shot for rare seems more than fair.
Jeroen_Sol
Nothing reveals Humanity so well as the games it plays. A game of betrayal, where the most suspicious person is brutally murdered? How savage.
This is only tangentially related to the question, but personally I'm not a big fan of most stealing systems that use RNG at all.

As a completionist, I want to steal every single item I can, and if I have to spend turns sitting through failed steals I'm going to get annoyed pretty quickly.

Even worse are the systems where you can only steal one item per monster, and stealing the common item by accident locks you out of the stealing the rare item.

So while your steal chances certainly look reasonable, maybe you can invent a system that doesn't use rng at all? I would definitely play that and (ab)use it.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
I feel like in most games, full potions should be something there are probably about five of in the whole game, not something you can steal with 60% accuracy from repeatable, grindable enemies. But it depends on your game obviously. If healing HP doesn't matter as much as refreshing buffs for keeping people alive, for example, then maybe they're not that broken. Or if the player's inventory can only hold 10 or 20 items total like Dragon Quest, or only 3 of each item like Secret of Mana, then it's probably fine to let players refill them easily. Or if the player has half a dozen other ways to easily get to full HP in a single round, then it's too late to start worrying about adding one more.
You get a lot of healing items early on in the game, as the healer doesn't join the until about 60 - 90 min in to the game, and there are some quite nasty battles early on.

Once he joins, you don't find many healing items in chests anymore.

There are no common steal/rare steal items situations. Nearly every enemy has a set item you can steal.

Thanks for suggestions, pianotm. I'll make those changes.
stealing encourages grind/farming, is that what you want in your game?
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
Stealing is fun. Add it in however you see fit with good suggestions from this thread.
your right it is fun though, especially when u get good/unique gear. But i have played some rpg's where you steal primarily to get crafting ingredients you need like 15 each. That was pretty sad.
CAVE_DOG_IS_BACK
On sunny days, I go out walking
don't include stealing like this since just pressing the steal button over and over until you, the player, are favored by rng is not fun or engaging, is my opinion. It also isn't good with a 100 percent chance because then steal is just 'the thing you have to do that has nothing to do with winning the battle' in each battle.
Pages: 1