WHAT IS THE BEST RPG MAKER ALTERNATIVE

Pages: first 12 next last
Rave
Even newspapers have those nowadays.
Note that I'm not looking for a general-purpose game engine, so GM, Unity, Godot, etc. are out. They're really fine, but I'm looking for something designed for making RPGs.

RM is a fine program, but it really went downhill. I'm talking about lag issues in MV. Also the other thing I don't like about it is that it made its business model about overpriced in my opinion (only one or two tilesets for a price of an indie game? Really?), not as bad as the thing that Paradox does, but it does so while still keeping main product quite expensive.

So what are the best, preferably free (being open source as well is a plus), RM alternatives that still are being developed?
Try RPGWizard
http://rpgwizard.org/
Its a branch of the old RPGToolkit runs in a web browser and in the future will have android and Linux support as well.
The developer listens to what people want and makes additions for people all the time(The discord is way more active than the forums)
Rave
Thanks. Though I never was able to get into RPG Toolkit, dunno really why. Maybe RPG Wizard will be different.

//edit: Remembered why. It requires actually coding stuff and doesn't have convenient events or other kind of visual scripting. And it's weird all-around
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
Rave
author=Sooz
D&D

Requires "IRL Friends" DLC that I do not own and it's highly unlikely I will in the foreseeable future.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
Rave
Sooz
D&D
Requires "IRL Friends" DLC that I do not own and it's highly unlikely I will in the foreseeable future.

Join us on Discord voice chat. We are there. Usually every Sunday, but now we've got three games a week going. The current ones are closed but there's nearly half a dozen more being planned and only the same five to six people joining. *in my creepy voice* Join us. Swell our ranks. You're one of us, Rave. You wouldn't be here if you weren't. You're one of us. One of us. You can't resist us forever.
Rave
author=SgtMettool
Super Mario Maker

I'm looking for (j)RPG making software, not platformer making one. Besides, I can't afford Wii U and SMM (though I play Mega Man Maker).

//edit: Eh. of only I had more skill in writing engines from scratch, I'd probably would write my own RM clone. Open RPG Maker was close, but it's dead unfortunately.
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
Playing sports
Rave
author=Sooz
Playing sports

I'm not interested in anything that makes me all sweated and tired.

//edit: Really though, why was @grindalf the only person who took the thread seriously?
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
Gamemaker? Otherwise there's not a whole lot of jrpg game making engines besides Rpgmaker. Unless I'm like really mistaken.

edit: And probably because it's somewhat a silly question. Like, just Google it dude if you already know a bunch of the alternatives.
And I really hate being that guy that says Google shit because more often than not they are assholes and I like to think I'm not an asshole.
Rave
Yeah, tried google, but it didn't turned much up aside of what I already knew. Was just hoping someone heard of some more obscure programs. Needs eventing or some other sort of visual scripting though, if I've wanted to code everything, I'd use a regular game engine anyway.
InfectionFiles
Exactly. Probably because there isn't one available that is like rpg maker. It's good to ask, but if the question is silly then you'll probably get silly answers. That's not our fault, we smell that shit like hound dogs and can't help ourselves.
Rave
It isn't silly at all. The grindalf's post... While RPG Wizard isn't what I'm looking for (and probably never will), it haven't shown in my google searches either. Couple of other RM-like engines that I know for sure exist (even if they still also aren't what I'm looking for) also didn't so it's entirely possible somewhere there is a site about RM-like software that suits my needs, is being developed and its developer is just not good at SEO.
InfectionFiles
Ah, so some holy grail where you don't have to put in much effort.

What is exactly wrong with rpg maker engines like Ace, rm2k3 or XP? I can agree that I think MV is kinda crap all things considered, though.
Sooz
Paying a programmer to make you the plug-and-play engine you apparently want?
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
If you don't fancy Wizard, there are other alternatives. One of them is RPG20xx, which isn't developed anymore and it used to be less stable than rm. Features were good, then. Another option is Game Creatore 001. It used to be distributed as GG maker.

I guess you won't like them anyway as your expectations are somewhere else. You can always return to older makers and there's no way you find cheaper resources for any makerlike.
What kind of RPG are you aiming to make? I mean the older RPGmakers are still out there (and purchasable... Some of them fairly cheap even). If RM went downhill I don't think they also patched the old ones to make them worse.

Neverwinter Nights had that engine and modmaking thing that at least was supposed to be able to make some sort of RPG. I guess some other older rpgs may also have the tools included.
https://rpgmaker.net/portal/engines/

but honestly RPG Maker VX Ace still runs, as does RM2k/3 and XP
Pages: first 12 next last