[MAFIA] PROBLEMS AT THE PRECINCT.

Jeroen_Sol
Nothing reveals Humanity so well as the games it plays. A game of betrayal, where the most suspicious person is brutally murdered? How savage.
Problems at the Precinct

"There goes any hope of leaving early tonight." Dr. Stiff sighs as he sees one of his colleagues transporting a stretcher down the hallway. "I was not informed of any incident, Constable Yousless."

"Very sorry, sir coroner sir! They said it was urgent and all, and I kind of assumed they had already told you, sir!"

"What could be so urgent to bother me at this ungodly hour?" Stiff draws back the blanket to reveal the face of the precinct's most accomplished detective, Vicky Timme. "Ah. I see."

"Isn't that Detective Timme, sir?"

"You weren't informed of this?"

"No sir! They just told me to take the stretcher straight to you, sir!"

Detective Timme only has a single bullet wound in her chest. Stiff puts on his gloves, and extracts a bullet from it. "Did anyone report accidental friendly fire?" he asked, studying the bullet.

"No, why?"

"Because this bullet was fired by the same model of gun issued to our detectives. Detective Timme was killed by one of our own."

"But if nobody reported it, sir!"

"That means we have a proverbial 'dirty cop' in our midsts, yes."

"What do I do, sir? Should I inform the chief?"

"No. Call Her Majesty's Inspectorate of Constabulary and Fire & Rescue Services instead. The chief may be in on it."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a closed-setup mafia game, intended for at least 9 players. If more than 9 people sign up, I can probably tinker with the setup a bit to work with that. Less is not possible, however.

What is mafia?
Wikipedia
Mafia (Russian: Ма́фия, also known as Werewolf) is a party game created in the USSR by Dimitry Davidoff in 1986, modelling a battle between an informed minority (the mafia) and an uninformed majority (the townspeople). Players are secretly assigned roles: either mafia, who know each other; or townspeople, who know only the number of mafia amongst them. In the game's night phase the mafia covertly "murder" a townsperson. During the day phase, all of the surviving players debate the identities of the mafia and vote to eliminate a suspect. Play continues until all of the mafia have been eliminated, or until the mafia outnumber the townspeople. A typical game starts with seven townspeople and two mafiosi.

Standard Roles and Rules:
Before the game begins, each player is sent a PM assigning him or her a role. The contents of the PM cannot be shared with other players. All roles are assigned randomly. There are three basic types of roles that you can get: Town, Mafia and Independent.

Town
If you are part of the Town, then your objective as a group is to stay alive and try to find out who the Mafia are. Since you cannot communicate with other players outside of this thread, you must work together and weed out who is lying and who is not. Townies who die still win when the rest of the town wins.

Mafia
The Mafia, on the other hand, have a significant advantage over the Town. They can communicate with other scum members outside the thread during night phase. During the night, they can come together, discuss, and kill a townie. If all goes according to their plan (which it might not), then that townie will be dead -thus cannot post or vote- for the rest of the game.

Independent
As an Independent, your job is to survive until the end of the game. Depending on your role, this may constitute killing of all Town-aligned players and Mafia and being the only player left alive or simply staying alive regardless of whether the Town or Mafia win, and having a separate win condition. An independent may or may not be in the game.

If all Mafia are killed, then The Town Wins!
If enough Town-aligned people are killed that the amount of Mafia is greater than or equal to the amount of Town-aligned people, The Mafia Wins!
If an Independent successfully survives and satisfies their win condition, they Win!

Game Structure:
The game starts out in something called a day phase. In this phase, all players who are not dead may participate in discussion as well as vote for who gets lynched (note that you can also vote for no one getting lynched). The day phase will continue until a set deadline has passed or when deciding vote is reached.
Once the day phase is finished, the night phase begins. No one may talk in the thread during this phase, meaning that only players with night actions play a significant role. Night actions are abilities possessed by special roles that can be used to alter the game during the night phase. All night actions, including the scum's kill, will be sent to me via PM(unless otherwise stated). Once the night phase deadline is reached or when all actions are sent in, I will PM everyone involved with their results and then a new day phase will begin. If anyone dies, then that person will be revealed.

Rinse and repeat until the game is over...

The Rules:
1. VOTING: Voting should look like this:
#Lynch Jeroen_Sol or #NoLynch
And if you wish to change your vote, first cancel your first vote like this:
#Cancel
It needs to be bold and with a # in front of it, to make it easier for me to make vote counts.

2. PARTICIPATE: It's not too fun when half of the players are always missing in action and only have a few posts. Try to post a few times during each day phase and contribute to the discussion in some way. This is also very important for the town's survival. If you don't participate, you are at high risk of being modkilled or replaced.

3. DON'T CHEAT: Although it'd be difficult for me to find out, just don't do it anyway. You'd be ruining the fun of the game. And if I DO find out...

4. IF YOU ARE DEAD, STAY DEAD: This game does not involve zombies. If you die, then don't post anymore. This of course doesn't apply if your role specifically allows you to speak while dead.

5. EDIT RULE: NEVER EVER EDIT POSTS. If you think your post has awful grammar, just make a new one to correct it.

6. DO NOT QUOTE PMs: Never quote from a PM I send you. Creating false PMs is also forbidden. You may paraphrase information from PMs, but never literally quote them.
7. ANTI-STALLING RULE: If a nolynch happens during any given day phase, scum must attempt to kill someone the following night phase.

New rules:

7. ANTI-STALLING RULE: If a nolynch happens during any given day phase, scum must attempt to kill someone the following night phase.

Sign-ups:

1 - Liberty, Gourd_Clae, Police Support Unit, died N2
2 - Isrieri, Constable, lynched D4
3 - LockeZ, Constable, lynched D3
4 - pianotm, Detective Inspector, lynched D1
5 - Cap_H, Constable, lynched D2
6 - psy_wombats, Constable, died N4
7 - demonlord5000, Authorized Firearms Officer, outnumbered D5
8 - Muffle, Chief Superintendent, died N3
9 - oddRABBIT, Constable
8!! I call 8!! My favorite number!! You can divide in it any way you like and it'll still be symmetrical!
Jeroen_Sol
Nothing reveals Humanity so well as the games it plays. A game of betrayal, where the most suspicious person is brutally murdered? How savage.
Just like 0. Does that make you a 0?

I didn't mean for people to call numbers, but sure, I guess?
Throw me in, coach.
oddRABBIT
I feel bored. How odd.
I'll be player number 9, since 8 was already taken.
Jeroen_Sol
Yay, Odd! Good to see you back in mafiaville!
I'll take lucky number 7, just because everyone else is doing it.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
I will do the mafia.
Isrieri
"My father told me this would happen."
Sure, lets do it. I'll take No. 2
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
If Liberty and Isrieri are joining, I'll do it.
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
In to get lunched
Jeroen_Sol
#Lunch Cap
Jeroen_Sol
And that's 9! I will start the game on Tuesday. Until then, sign-ups are still open, so if anyone else wants to still sign up, feel free to!
It depends on what time on Tuesday because I have a Pathfinder campaign that day :\
CAVE_DOG_IS_BACK
On sunny days, I go out walking

not signing up cause i'm very busy atm but i still feel like the onus should be on whoever didn't last act, to make something happen. possibly even have the policy to auto-end the game if a certain party is continually not taking action. I.E. scum autowin after x amount of day/night phases of nobody dying IF what set off nobody dying was town not lynching. Town autowins if they lynch and then scum start nokilling and a certain amount of day/night phases end with nobody dying.

just something 2 think about.
Jeroen_Sol
That makes sense, but I feel that then makes the game unfairly harder for town by taking away the valid strategy of nolynching at MYLO.

How about this:

Anti-stalling rule 1: If nobody dies two day and night phases in a row due to any faction withholding kills, the game ends in favour of whichever faction(s) did not withhold their kill in those two day and night phases, or was the last to do so if all factions did.
Anti-stalling rule 2: If a nolynch happens at MYLO (non-scum = scum + 2), scum must attempt to kill the following night phase.
Jeroen_Sol
"Balderdash! Why was I not informed of this?" the Chief Superintendent bellows when Her Majesty's Inspectorate of Constabulary and Fire & Rescue Services shows up at the precinct.

"Please understand you are a suspect in this as well, Chief Superintendent."

"None of my men are dirty. This was just an accidental shooting."

"We have found evidence that Detective Inspector Timme was looking into possible links between your precinct and a local drug cartel. Please let us perform our investigation. We need your aid in this as well, Chief Superintendent. If nothing turns up we will quickly be on our way again."

"Bah, fine. I'll call everyone together for a group meeting. Perhaps they have noticed something."

Vanilla town Role PM:
You are a Clean Constable!

You were just about to go home, when Her Majesty's Inspectorate of Constabulary and Fire & Rescue Services showed up out of the blue. Apparently some of your colleagues may have been working with a drug cartel and now Detective Inspector Vicky Timme found out and was shot dead. Yikes.

If these dirty cops are willing to shoot colleagues, nobody is safe. They must be dealt with as quickly as possible.

Unfortunately, being a low-ranking officer, you are not authorized to carry firearms or do much of anything beside giving out parking tickets. All you can do is try to aid the investigation wherever you can.

You win when all Dirty cops are dead, and at least one Clean cop is alive.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Abilities:

None

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Day 1 starts now. It ends in:

I realize this time may not be optimal for many players, but I can't end the day in the middle of the night for me. At least everyone in America shouldn't be asleep at this time of day. I hope.

With 9 alive it takes 5 to lynch.

Votecount as of April 24th, 14:12 CET:

Not voting (9): Liberty, Isrieri, LockeZ, pianotm, Cap_H, psy_wombats, demonlord5000, Muffle, oddRABBIT
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
I'll wash your mouths with soap.