[RM2K3] RUNNING MECHANIC IMPOSSIBLE TO MAKE WORK PROPER?

Pages: 1
I'm having some MAJOR issues with getting a working shift-button running mechanic, hopefully someone here has a solution of sorts cuz this is KILLING me and I can't find f all on google about it..

Anyway, I've got the sprites done and the parallel process working so that I can run and my animation changes when I'm running, the problem is that when I step on an 'on hero touch' tile my speed stays as if I was running and the event moves too quickly.. changing the speed has the opposite effect if I decide to walk onto the tile...

The other problem is that if you release the shift key at the perfect moment you can essentially jump over 'on hero touch' tiles' as well.

I've tried having an event switch off the run button when touching an event but that doesn't seem to work fast enough to remove the speed increase/decrease and also you can still hop over those on hero touch tiles..

If anyone has any suggestions that'd be great.
If you don't know what the player's current speed is when you run an event, which seems to be the problem here, you should first decrease the player's speed five times. That way you know it's set to the lowest possible speed, since any extra decrease speed commands once you hit the lowest speed will be ignored. From there you can increase the speed back up to the precise speed you want. You can also take the reverse approach, setting speed to highest possible first and going down from there. As a hint for anyone who might run across this thread later, increasing and decreasing the player's speed are subcommands within the Set Move Route command.

For the tile-hopping problem, I'm afraid I don't know of any solution.
Thanks Aubrey, while I did end up fixing this issue by having a separate common event called at the beginning of every single event to check if the run switch is on or off and having a speed decrease or speed increase based on that I do like yours and will test out which will be easier in the long run as there would be literally thousands of events to go through to make these changes.

Still hoping someone comes up with a miracle fix for that tile jumping solution...

I've come up with one fix for it but it adds a shitload of extra work. I ended up having to make all the lower level 'on hero touch' events on the same level as the hero and also add yet another parallel process that makes the hero walk into the event using the 'Through On' and a 1 step forward making it impossible to coast over it when holding the shift button. This is an okay fix but it's not ideal.. so if anyone has any other ideas it'd be great to hear em.
Pages: 1