I'M LOOKIN FOR ADVICE ABOUT RPG MAKER MV AND GAME MAKER

Pages: 1
So someone recently has been talking to me about making a game together. And he would like to put something out in the near future on mobile.
I've been wanting to learn Unity but maybe I should start smaller.
I already know RPG Maker XP pretty well. But for making a mobile game I'm pretty sure I would have to use something else right like RPG Maker MV or Game Maker.
MV seems the most sensible step since I figure if I understand XP, MV is probably similar. But Game Maker could open up a lot of new gameplay possibilities for me. Is Game Maker hard to learn?

EDIT: ALSO CAN YOU SELL A GAME USING THE FREE VERSIONS OF UNITY AND GAMEMAKER OR WILL I NEED TO INVEST MONEY INTO THE PAID VERSIONS TO MAKE A MOBILE GAME I CAN SELL?
I believe there's a demo version of MV you can try out to see if you like it. I'm not sure about your questions regarding Game Maker or Unity. You might try asking on the forums dedicated to them as well as here, but I'd say that it's probably likely that MV would be easier to use, if only because RPG Maker engines are deliberately made to be easy for those who don't know coding that well, and take a lot of the harder aspects of creation out of the equation.

Ultimately it depends what you want to make, though. You could do worse than checking out the engines for yourself and seeing if you can make heads or tails of them from the get-go.
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

I think the basic Game Maker only includes the ability to export to Windows. I think you need to pay to get mobile export option.

https://gamedev.stackexchange.com/questions/61440/how-do-i-share-my-game-maker-games

Unity is free to make a commercial game, unless you make a certain amount of money. If you meet a certain amount of money you need to pay Unity. I find it hard to believe you'll need to worry about this.

https://answers.unity.com/questions/7720/is-unity-really-free-.html

I wouldn't use RPG Maker MV to make a mobile game. But if you really want to.

https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/exporting-to-android-mv-android-client.84971/

I would use Unity out of these 3 options for a mobile game.

Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
From these options unity is probably the best choice. But the engine is resource heavy and not as user friendly as the other two. Alternatively, I would look further, there are many engines and frameworks dedicated to mobile gaming (Stencyl, GameSalad, Cocos2d..).
If you are not doing a 3D game, I would question whether Unity is the best option. If you are, I would absolutely recommend it, even though the learning curve is steep.

I think there are better options than GameMaker for mobile development, including the mentioned Cocos2d, as well as even Xamarin (a free addition to Microsoft Visual Studio). One nice thing about Cocos2d is that it works best with C++, which is a common language used for gaming. And Xamarin works well with C#, which is the language used by Unity3D. Point being, choosing either gives you highly transferable skills to other gaming platforms, while learning GameMaker leaves you with only GameMaker.

What everyone else said is also good advice.
Mirak
Stand back. Artist at work. I paint with enthusiasm if not with talent.
No one has reccommended godot yet but that is also a good engine.
Thank you very much for all your advice. I never heard of some of those engines, I will look into them. Of the ones that were mentioned Stencyl, GameSalad, Cocos2d, Xamarin, and Godot which would you consider the most user friendly?
TehGuy
Resident Nonexistence
author=RedMask
Thank you very much for all your advice. I never heard of some of those engines, I will look into them. Of the ones that were mentioned Stencyl, GameSalad, Cocos2d, Xamarin, and Godot which would you consider the most user friendly?

Definitely not Xamarin or Cocos2d, as those are frameworks you use along with your code to more-or-less make your engine. Well, unless you're already code savvy/inclined; then it's pretty friendly compared to making all it abstracts from scratch.

Stencyl/Godot look to be engines in their own right, similar to Unity. Never heard of GameSalad, but it's aimed at K-12 education so it's probably going to be the friendliest (and possibly most limiting) you'll find.

EDIT: ALSO CAN YOU SELL A GAME USING THE FREE VERSIONS OF UNITY AND GAMEMAKER OR WILL I NEED TO INVEST MONEY INTO THE PAID VERSIONS TO MAKE A MOBILE GAME I CAN SELL?

You can sell a game with Unity Personal; don't have to worry about anything until you make, like, $100k a year or something.

Game Maker will take a ~$400 investment for mobile exports.
Pages: 1