M-DRIVE 16-BIT MUSIC PACK: PRICE?

Pages: 1
Greetings all! I'm Snowy, a composer and sound designer, and full-time fluffy thing. Please allow me to introduce my first entry into the RPG Maker music pack world: M-DRIVE, the 16-bit music pack!

...Hang on, let me just boot it up.

The music pack contains:

• 14 BGM tracks
• 5 ME tracks
• 16 SFX
• All of the above in multiple file types and formats suitable for every version of RPG Maker, including M4A versions for exporting to mobile, and MP3s suitable for listening

Each of M-DRIVE's music tracks and sound effects has been lovingly crafted using the same synthesis method as its 16-bit console inspiration's Yamaha sound chip, in the styles of many of the games I grew up loving. When composing, I tried to hold the idea of an action RPG in mind, but the pack is open to several different game genres - including, of course, more traditional, turn-based RPGs.

The pack is currently scheduled for release sometime in mid-May, though there is still a chance that that might change. However...
your feedback is wanted!

I'm still in discussions with Degica about the pack's sale price, and I thought it would be a good idea to get the community's input on the issue, including over here on RMN. How much would you be willing to pay for M-DRIVE? $15.00? $25.00? Somewhere in-between, even more, or even less? Please, share and discuss your suggestions below!

More information on M-DRIVE, more audio previews, and a demo game, can be found on my website.

As a side note, I would like to point out that the final price is not my decision. It's Degica's store, and they set the price. I can only give them my suggestions.
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

I was using RPG Maker Web as a means to compare what you have to other DLCs in terms on the number of tracks. I think $14.99 USD is a common price for what you're offering.

Keep in mind that on Steam, as DLC, it will be subject to currency conversion and mark downs in other countries (Taiwan will be much cheaper for example), as well as any seasonal sales your publisher wants to do. And on top of the % your publisher takes, Steam takes 30%. Best case scenario is to make most sales on RPG Maker Web.

Other Ideas:

I would almost suggest making a free to play game with the music and selling the DLC yourself as a soundtrack that can be used in other people's games. You need to pay 100 USD, but you avoid having to work with a publisher.

author=kory_toombs
I was using RPG Maker Web as a means to compare what you have to other DLCs in terms on the number of tracks. I think $14.99 USD is a common price for what you're offering.

Thank you for your input! Honestly, I was thinking closer to the higher end of my suggested range, when I compared it to other music packs on RPGMakerWeb - I was trying to be as objective as possible, and besides the number of tracks, I was also taking compositional complexity into account. Still, $10.00-$15.00 seems to be the range most people are suggesting.

Sales are also a thing, though, so if the pack were put up at $20.00, there would still of course be times where it would come down to the more popular price. Or do you think you would already have been put off by that point?

author=kory_toombs
And on top of the % your publisher takes, Steam takes 30%. Best case scenario is to make most sales on RPG Maker Web.

I was aware of the cuts Degica and Valve take. Honestly, as far as music publishing goes, I think they're both quite generous in that regard. I am also going to be releasing the pack through my own website and wherever else I can get it onto - my deal with Degica is not an exclusive one - but from what I've been told by other composers, Steam sales are where the most buyers will appear, and it can apparently be more than enough to offset the reduced price and cuts taken, so I'm considering it a very worthwhile route.

As a publisher, having already read and signed my contract with them, I'm finding Degica fine people to work with. They don't make many demands, and the ones they have made are very reasonable.
unity
You're magical to me.
Listening to your samples, the music is beautiful and totally takes me back to that era, and I absolutely love that. I may buy it based on the samples alone because WOW these are incredible.

I mainly make RPGs, and I often am puzzled that a lot of music packs don't always check off the basics for songs needed in an RPG. Like, it seems strangely hard to find like basic "short victory fanfare" songs or "short rest at an inn" songs in some packs. I would be even more excited if your pack contains music like that as well.

I personally wouldn't mind paying as much as $25 or even more for something like this. Personally, I'd prefer with music packs, to get a lot of tracks even if it means I pay a lot more. Because, at the end of the day, it is nice to have choices, and if I still need tracks after using all the ones I like from a pack like this, it means I have to search hard for songs to match the unique Genesis sound or commission someone to make similar songs.
author=unity
I mainly make RPGs, and I often am puzzled that a lot of music packs don't always check off the basics for songs needed in an RPG. Like, it seems strangely hard to find like basic "short victory fanfare" songs or "short rest at an inn" songs in some packs. I would be even more excited if your pack contains music like that as well.

It absolutely does! There's a game over jingle, two item jingles, a victory fanfare, and an inn jingle. 16-bit birdsong is fun to make, as it turns out.~ I think the reason a lot of music packs don't bother with those is because RPG Maker already comes with them. Since the RTP music tends not to sound like a Mega Drive game, though, I thought I'd better make some, so people could keep their games sounding consistent.

There are still more tracks that I would consider essential to an RPG that are conspicuously absent from M-DRIVE, which I simply never got around to - there's no castle theme or end boss theme, for example. I had to call it done and release it sometime, though. My goal was to provide enough music for a small game, and I think I achieved that, even if it doesn't cover all the possible bases.

I may make an expansion or even M-DRIVE 2 sometime, though, to include more of those missing tracks.~
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
It depends on your strategy. If you go with 25, expect more people to wait on sales. And that might be your actual triumph. You could go 50% and still make about the same amount as if you go with 15.

Personally, I would prefer 15 (I'm cheeky), even if the pack is smaller, it doesn't matter for that money. Also It will make it easier for you to sell M-DRIVE 2 as you're more likely to get a wider userbase of M-DRIVE tracks. But It might be a worse option in terms of gross.

Overall, You'll def sell more with a lower price but not that much. I think that you might earn more if you sell a copy for 25. Add some extras to make it look even more attractive and you're golden. If it doesn't sell you can lower the price pernamently.

More than 25 is probably too much with the abundance of packs degica is releasing and the fact, this is a retro pack.
Less than 15 is a no-go zone too.
10 is too low. Packs for 10 bucks are usually crap and I wouldn't go there.
author=Cap_H
<A lot of helpful suggestions>

That's a lot of helpful suggestions! At this point, considering that this is my first commercial release, within or without the RPG Maker community, amongst which I am pretty much unknown, I am erring towards sales numbers and growing a following rather than pure revenue. Having more people hearing and using my music will be more valuable to me in the future than a few extra Quid today, in more ways than just financially.
Pages: 1