RPG MAKER 3 (FOR PS2) HELP!

Pages: 1
Hey, first off let me say that I know Im here asking about an RPG maker thats not very known or praised.. I think its basically the same thing as the other RPG makers around here in general.. AND I have searched everywhere on the net and couldn't find ANYTHING about this game specificaly since (RPGpavilion) went away? The information I got so far with RPG maker 3 is its VERY simplified and you can't really do much as of customization.. Basically I'm trying to setup a chest with random items that the player can get at random with a % chance or whatever I can use.. problem is with this maker I only see that you can use variables with NO random number option/generator or a % get this % get that option..the only thing I see is one option that is "Val-Conditional Branch" that I could use 4 differenent "Value(=,<.>)Specified Value" options, and I can also set the "Variable" numbers here for each branch outcome, then after that I try to setup that the player would recieve the item in each branch based on the "Values" which I can set myself BUT NOT making it random numbers. There's also a "internal dungeon variable" which I can set a number but once again..there's no random option..BASICALLY I want to know if its even POSSIBLE to setup a random variables to get items on this game with ONLY variables and no random options...I dont want to waste my time trying for hours (which I already have) if its not possible. thanks in advance
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
Well, I have been thinking about picking this game up from the pawn shop for a while now. However, I can imagine what's going on here. RM3 on PS2 is likely a lot more like RM2003.
If that's the case, you're going have to deal with doing things like this in very rudimentary ways. Unless you can find a loophole in your journey.
I'd say just keep doing what you're doing and learn by doing. The RM systems are not perfect. Earlier reiterations were functional but definitely restrictive.

Sorry, I can't be any more help. Maybe after I see it for myself!
Hi Remington! ♥

I grabbed rpgmaker3 awhile ago, back when my PS2 disc drive still worked.(I still need to get it repaired).

I haven't played rpgmaker3 a whole lot, but one place you might want to check out, even though it doesn't get a whole lot of activity these days is: https://www.rpgmmag.com/forums/

They have a very basic guide on variables under their guide section - it involves creating a NPC that will give you 2 coins that you need to drop into a well. Depending on which coin you choose to receive it sounds like something different happens - this may not be what you're looking for it, but it's a start.

They also have a bunch of rpgmaker3 games available for download there as well.
https://www.rpgmmag.com/rmvault/rm3/games

Let us know if this helped Remington ♥

EDIT:
Unrelated: Is there a "Does anyone remember RPGpavilion?" thread somewhere?
Thanks to both of you for answering and ecspcially you LordBlueRouge you helped me alot! First of all they had the RM3 game manual for download at rpgmmag which I dont own since I bought the game off ebay and it didnt come with it :( as Im typing this I havn't read it yet but im about to (I heard it might not help that much anyway but its nice to have) Its also really nice to see stuff about this game still around..since I had a hard time finding anything. Also off topic a bit but yall seem nice here, I posted this on two other RM sites and they literally deleted my post XD sorry its not RMVX or all that..jeez
You know, I had RPGMaker 3 years and years ago, and I'd completely forgotten about it until you mentioned it just now.

Sorry I can't actually help you out with it. I found it so user unfriendly, I could barely figure out how to get anything done at all. As far as I was aware of, there were no online guides I could turn to at the time. Honestly, I'm a bit surprised that completed games made with it are actually still available.
Yeah I'm still confused on how to use certain things with rpg maker 1,2,and 3. Honestly so i've read 3 is the easiest to use out of all of them, 2 you can do the most with and people are still making and doing amazing games, 1 is the only one you can make your own 2D sprites which is such a nice thing and still makes it hold a place in my heart..anyway this post is still up for me..so if anyone does know let me know :)
I'm not too familiar with that version but an idea of how to get a random number popped into my head. Put invisible/unseen code throughout the dungeon that increases a variable by different amounts, and put them in places that will trigger based on how the player is moving around.

So for example you could have invisible 'on hero touch' events in front of doors, so every time the player enters or leave that room the variable changes. Put some of those events in the middle of rooms, so if by chance the player touches them the variable changes. Add it to existing events, so when the player opens a normal chest it increases that variable. So if they didn't open that chest before the random chest, the variable would be different compared to if they did open that chest first.

Therefore, based on the actions taken by the player, in whatever random order they happen to trigger them, you will end up with a different(random) variable each time the game is played. You probably want to increase that variable by small numbers, or you could take that variable and divide it by something to make it smaller, and use that remainder in branches to give different items. Does it have Modulus? Use that on the variable and the remainder will be different each time.

Or, maybe a simpler idea, have a background process that increases a variable by 1 every X seconds. When it reaches the limit of possible choices in that chest, have the variable set to 0 and it starts over again. So when the player opens that chest, the variable could be anything. Which will be different depending on the timing of opening that chest.
Hey Link thanks for the suggestions so far, the first part of what you suggested actually did pop into my head at one point before I asked, and it might be realistically the only thing I CAN do on RPG maker 3. The only thing I hate is that although It would be tricky to do I think if someone figured out that I had used this method or found out the spots I used to change variables, it could be abused. (yes I hopefully one day want to post the game to the public)..but still once again, It might be the only way its possible.

The timer Idea I like but I dont think RPG maker 3 has a "timer do this command" but the funny thing is..RPG maker 2 DOES lol..I guess they took that out which sucks..

I went back to RPG maker 1 and I found a OK method on there which uses a "3-way branches" with a % possibility, I make Choice A give the item at a 20% and a 79% chance to "Take over next event page" and basically repeat..the only thing is It will ALWAYS check the first items in order..which still doesnt make it random..it works but it still annoys me..so any suggestions there would help to lol.
No problem, but you misunderstood my "timer" idea. It only uses variable add, condition branch, and wait. Assuming there is a common event, or even just parallel process.

Common/Parallel Event Code:

Set Variable +1
IF Variable = 4
...THEN Set Variable =0
WAIT 1 second

Every second the variable increases by one, and resets to 0 when it hits any old number(based on how many possible items in the chest). Put 3 branches on the chest for each number and you have a randomly selected item based on time.

I wouldn't worry so much about abuse, unless it's a chest you can repeatedly open. The player will only have one chance to open the chest, never having a second opportunity to do something different to even try and figure out if there is anything else in that chest. Even if they could open it multiple times, the chances they would figure out that certain invisible actions affect the chest is pretty low. It wouldn't appear any different than pure random chance, which you would have done if the engine had the option, and can create with my method. Any random process can be repeated(abused).
Pages: 1