CHRONICLING AIDYN 3-25: SORT OF SEEN OFF

Isrieri
"My father told me this would happen."
I was so young that the entirety of this plot and dialogue flew right over my head. Seeing it again its funny to think there was all this intrigue happening at the castle at the very beginning. Its a strange feeling to be able to see this intricate story I have no memory of at all, but was there to witness.

Can't wait till we get to that stinking river and that stinking eyeball creature. Hated that thing.
halibabica
RMN's Official Reviewmonger
from Isrieri
Seeing it again its funny to think there was all this intrigue happening at the castle at the very beginning.
I know, right? So much of this game's details are front-loaded, it actually kinda hurts. They set up a ton of stuff and most of it is completely miss-able. They had to do it that way because of the nature of the quest, but I can't help but feel like it's a pacing issue.

We're a long way off from eyeball thing by the river, but we're not far from finally getting out of this goddamn castle. I'm looking forward to it, if only because natural environments are significantly easier for me to draw. x_x
halibabica
2-20: King Tute

Gabrion: Don't ask about the Queen.

Alaron: *asks the first person he sees

The title is an awful pun that I refuse to apologize for. Also, if you actually read the King's entire spiel, good for you. Now you're ready to play the game, too.
halibabica
2-21: Reading with Rheda

Join Rheda on her literary quest for knowledge and loremastery! Such is the wisdom offered by the Gwernian royal library.

Apologies for the lore dump. You could think of this as an optional episode. These texts are all found in-game, and though some seem unfinished, I assure you, that's all there is of them. Some are more interesting and useful than others, but it's up to you how deep you go...

Was it a bad idea to put this after the King's big speech? Yeah, probably.
halibabica
2-22: Armed and Ready

Enough lecturing! Enough reading! It's time to get this show on the road! We have our starting equipment now, so Alaron's just a hop, skip and jump away from adventure!
Thats a cute comic you made xd
halibabica
Thanks! Yeah, I like my cutesy li'l blob people.

2-23: Parting Words

Screw off, Sheridan! This adventure will be a vacation away from YOU.

...is what Alaron wanted to say.
halibabica
2-24: It's a Party Now

It's actually impossible to start this game without Brenna. If you don't pick her in the castle, she joins in this cutscene the moment you leave. If you do choose her earlier, the game lets you pick two more companions anyway. That's a bit silly, but whatever! We have our band of heroes!
halibabica
2-25: The Journey Awaits

If you saw him slip away last episode, good for you. He just walked off without a word to anyone.
halibabica
2-J: Ch.2 Journal

For some reason, in-game Alaron doesn't consider his party choices important enough to jot down, so everything past the Trahern's sword stuff was added by me. I know he's a n00b adventurer, but come on, kid.
halibabica
3-0: The Long Road to Erromon

We're in for quite an adventure already, my dudes.
halibabica
3-1: The Road, Becan's

That title is probably my worst pun yet.
halibabica
3-2: Cry Wolf

I meant to link this song back when Alaron fought the goblins, but I forgot, so here it is: Battle 1. Aidyn's battle music is randomized between five tracks, so...this is one of them. I'm saving the others for significant fights along the way, but since this is the first "real" combat of the adventure, I think it's warranted.

Also...you may have noticed something missing from the header. That's right, this is the first page since episode 2 to be completely written by me. The AC Crew had no part in this dialogue. We're finally flying solo...for now. :p
halibabica
3-3: What Sharp Teeth They Have

It was very cruel of the game's developers to put this pack of wolves here. This stretch of road is safe when you first arrive in Gwernia, and although wolves are early game enemies, they're actually quite dangerous and will wreck you if you aren't careful (and sometimes, even if you are). They move fast and hit hard enough that they can trash a newbie party. In a way, it's your first warning that this game doesn't screw around.

Anyway, I'm going to try to keep violence mild in this series. Excessive gore doesn't mesh too great with this art style regardless, but some graphic content is just unavoidable here.
halibabica
3-4: Right Back to Gwernia

In a magical fantasy setting, battle damage is no big deal. What were you worried about?

Bats, on the other hand...
halibabica
3-5: Batty Basement

I wish you could kill three bats with one swing in this game. They'd waste a lot less time that way.

Although I hate to do it, I'm taking a little break after this. I need to put the comic on hiatus while I devote more attention toward another project. Chronicling Aidyn will resume in late September...
halibabica
3-6: Rude Awakening

And we're back! This was supposed to be up three days ago. With any luck, I'll be able to continue the series uninterrupted.

Alaron needs to take care of these bats for real. What could the problem really be? At least Brenna is okay now...
halibabica
3-7: Not so Open and Shut

The gag here is that going through Cedric's basement door twice will respawn the bat encounter, making this the quickest and safest grinding spot in the early game. Of course, the quest isn't complete until you get to the root of the problem...
halibabica
3-8: Into the Bat Cave

This comic is inaccurate. Brenna can't hit anything early-game with throwing knives, and she certainly wouldn't kill it if she did. She's one of my favorite characters, but making a useful party member out of her is difficult at first...
halibabica
3-9: Go or Stay

I mean, they could also go stay at the castle for free, but that would just be embarrassing at this point.