GAMES WITH MAP/LEVEL EDITORS

Pages: first 12 next last
A friend of mine last week asked me if I knew any games with decent map editors. I rattled off a whole list, because for me this is a big selling point in a game. Top of my list would have to be Starcraft 1 and Warcraft 3 for being easy to use yet very powerful in the right hands. Then there's ARMA 3's EDEN editor which is blast.

What about you guys? What are your favorite games with map editors? What are your favorite player created levels?
I feel like it's not as common nowadays with modern games. DOOM and Farcry 5 have these ingame editors but they're not quite the same compared to the straight up software old ones had. Mario Maker is my favorite in recent memory though.
Shootmania and Trackmania are basically the only games' level editors I've played around with in recent years. And they were a lot of fun to use.
Railroad Tycoon has a pretty solid map editor, but it's an old game, lol.
It's not an official thing, but there are map editors for Terraria you can hunt down, and some people have done some pretty amazing stuff with it.
author=Darken
I feel like it's not as common nowadays with modern games. DOOM and Farcry 5 have these ingame editors but they're not quite the same compared to the straight up software old ones had. Mario Maker is my favorite in recent memory though.

Far Cry 5 made me so angry. I wanted to give it another shot because I'd heard good things about the editor and then I found it you couldn't actually download maps and play them offline.
I spent so many hours in C&C: Red Alert map editor (and modding!)
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
Heroes of Might and Magic 3. You can make your own Campaign and make it good.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
I mean, I'm pretty sure the Heroes of Might and Magic series, as a whole, include some manner of map editor. At least up to the 5th game. I dunno about 6/7, I've never played them, but, it seems likely?

As much as I love HOM&M2, the editor of 3 is better, though. I'll grant that.
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
I picked 3, because Editor in 4 was worse and I've never used the one in 5.
Marrend
I only used 5's editor once, and I was mostly just fooling around with it. I don't recall 4's at all, but, I don't recall much of 4 to begin with. Outside of how heroes could be hired, the fact that they were their own unit, and the relaxing dirt theme.

I'll have to check out Heroes since they're on GOG these days.

On that note, (also on GOG) the Gold Box D&D Games had something called Forgotten Realms: Unlimited Adventures that let you create your own adventure modules. And there's still an active community. http://ua.reonis.com/
Marrend
Oh, man, FRUA. Yeah, that thing is pretty much the RPG Maker of "Gold Box" D&D titles. I don't know if there's a way to make stand-alone versions of games made with that engine, though. It was made during the 3.5" disk era (that or 5.25" disks?), and such was probably the intended method of distribution. Because size was limited, the engine only saved what data was changed from the default database settings so that games could fit on one disk.

It may have also been an attempt at a cheap marketing ploy, as games would pretty much require the engine to be played. I think FRUA may have had an "Inner Ring/Outer Ring" DRM-password-system-thingy as well? I don't remember.

*Edit: I swear the manual pretty much says what I did about fitting the data on one disk.

*Edit2: I probably just horribly dated myself, too.

Now I'm trying to think of other games from back then that I messed around with. I seem to recall making several (sometimes failed) attempts to make Cron (the world of Might and Magic 2) in Civilization 2 - Test of Time?

*Edit3: Shoot 'em Up Construction Kit. Now, granted, that's a Commodore 64 title, that's geared to... wait for it... waaaaaaiiiiiit foooor iiiiiit... shoot-em-ups. However, it's the first game design software I ever messed with.
Krunker.io has a decent map editor. You can do anything in it - as long as you don't mind said "anything" will be square/rectangular, with no curves, and will be static, with no animation. Other than that, it's easy to do stuff in it.
And then there was the tragedy that was Sword Coast Legends.

Such a brilliant idea with so many possibilities, never was able to get its feet off the ground.
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
author=Cap_H
Heroes of Might and Magic 3. You can make your own Campaign and make it good.
This right here.

And of course any of the Warwind, Starcraft, AOE, a lot of the RTS games really
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
Oh, another one. You might want to check Neverwinter Nights. The game was built around a possibility to make your own adventures (I'm surprised Shinan didn't mention it).
Kloe
I lost my arms in a tragic chibi accident
Portal 2 does, I think Portal does as well? It seemed pretty decent, especially considering it's a 3 dimensional puzzle game so there's a lot of variety possible in custom maps.

Personally, I'd say Advance Wars: Dual Strike, partially because I really like that game and also because its map editor is pretty nice, being able to create your own scenarios for a strategy RPG is interesting, I wish more games in the same genre would have map editors.
Advance Wars 1, 2, Dual Strike and Days of Ruin. LOOOOOVED the design map function in the game! ^_^
Pages: first 12 next last