GAMES WITH MAP/LEVEL EDITORS

Pages: first prev 12 last
AtiyaTheSeeker
In all fairness, bird shrapnel isn't as deadly as wood shrapnel
There's this game on Steam that I love called "The Quest" (original name, I know) that basically plays like a turn-based Daggerfall. They've got a level editor, and folks have been making their own DLC for it as well. Pretty fun base game and official post-game DLC adventure, too.
author=AtiyaTheSeeker
There's this game on Steam that I love called "The Quest" (original name, I know) that basically plays like a turn-based Daggerfall. They've got a level editor, and folks have been making their own DLC for it as well. Pretty fun base game and official post-game DLC adventure, too.

That sounds awesome! I'm surprised Matt Barton hasn't covered that one.

Also, I forgot that Stranded Deep has an editor. I think you can only make a single island, which is a bummer.
Heroes of Might and Magic 3 has a great map editor. It inspired me to develop a basic map editor in my strategy game MinST and I even reuse it's passability display convention in Lya's debug display.

author=Irog
Heroes of Might and Magic 3 has a great map editor. It inspired me to develop a basic map editor in my strategy game MinST and I even reuse it's passability display convention in Lya's debug display.

More than one person has mentioned that, and it's on sale for $3.39 on GOG right now so I guess I'll have to pick it up.

I remember Neverwinter Nights' editor but never really got into it. The game itself turned me off so much that I adamantly refused to play 3rd Edition D&D until 2008, and I still regret buying those damned rulebooks...

The one that takes the cake for me so far is still ARMA 3. It's like having a bunch of little green army men, with terrain and vehicles only they actually move and shoot each other.
Stay away from the "new" HD release: it uses the unpatched early game engine and contains a lot of bugs. Look for Heroes of "Might and Magic 3 Complete" on abandonware sites for the original experience using the bug-free game engine.
This one may be nit niche and a game that may or may not be your friend's cup of tea. But Postal 2 has its own editor where you can pretty much add anything you want.

Also I would point to all of the Bethesda games, each one has development kits that anyone can use.

My favorite would have to be Roller Coaster Tycoon 2's scenario editor, giving yourself every type of shops, coasters, rides etc and infinite money with a giant map was a lot of fun to mess around with when I was a kid.

I had to google this one, because I remember an SNES racing game like Rock n' Roll Racing (the top down isometric racing style) that had its own built-in course creator.

It was RPM Racing, and it was also done by Silicon & Synapse (aka Blizzard!):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RPM_Racing

Rock n' Roll Racing was actually a sequel (of sorts) to RPM Racing. Or more accurately, RPM was like a beta version of Rock n' Roll Racing. I mean, it looks very prototype-y!

I spent hours making custom courses for this.

How has no one mentioned Descent 2 level editor yet?

...I also spent an inordinate amount of time making Descent levels with this. Descent was such an awesome game. The full range of movement for strafing was wild. I have yet to get the sheer thrill I got from Descent in any FPS since. I should buy a joystick...
Ridge Racer Unbounded has it, but I have yet to really delve into it. Also I was actually kind of disappointed after trying it out for myself, since it made me realize that all the courses in the game are quite possibly just made from the same preset jigsaw pieces snapped together in various formations and that most of the corners in the game are exactly 90 degrees and I just hadn't noticed. o.o;

The game's official City Editor trailer makes it look much more impressive than what I actually thought of it from trying it out myself. Maybe I should give it another chance.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZpPTUCpt8E
Been playing early access Dreams for the PS4 actually. Probably the craziest console friendly level editor in awhile. Though the scope of the levels aren't too big usually.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Once upon a time I tried to recreate Final Fantasy 6 in Warcraft 3.

It didn't go well. It's probably actually possible, but I had no idea what I was doing.
smash ultimate came out with an editor

and it's pure degeneracy

author=lonestarluigi
This one may be nit niche and a game that may or may not be your friend's cup of tea. But Postal 2 has its own editor where you can pretty much add anything you want.

Completely forgot about that one. I never really used it, that I can remember. Isn't it like the unreal engine or something? I think someone created a full-blown horror game called Eternal Damnation for Postal 2, came with the Fudge Pack edition (which I have...also got the boxed anniversary edition for myself and a friend for xmas)

author=zeello
Ridge Racer Unbounded has it, but I have yet to really delve into it. Also I was actually kind of disappointed after trying it out for myself, since it made me realize that all the courses in the game are quite possibly just made from the same preset jigsaw pieces snapped together in various formations and that most of the corners in the game are exactly 90 degrees and I just hadn't noticed. o.o;

The game's official City Editor trailer makes it look much more impressive than what I actually thought of it from trying it out myself. Maybe I should give it another chance.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZpPTUCpt8E

Reminds me of BeamNG.Drive. That sim lets you do some crazy stuff...DragCarTV on youtube has done some pretty impressive things with it.

author=kentona
It was RPM Racing, and it was also done by Silicon & Synapse (aka Blizzard!):

Duuude. Blizzard had some amazing editors. Warcraft 3 basically let you create your own RPG with its hero mechanics. People were making WoW in its editor. The Orc campaign in the expansion WAS an RPG and one of the built-in custom levels was basically a Diablo Clone. I had this big single hero sandbox thing planned out in starcraft but for the life of me I could not get the victory condition to trigger.

author=Darken
Been playing early access Dreams for the PS4 actually. Probably the craziest console friendly level editor in awhile. Though the scope of the levels aren't too big usually.

Damn that looks cool...wish I had a PS4.

I've mentioned ARMA 3, but I quit messing with it because of it's instability. Seriously thinking of giving ARMA 2 a go when it goes on sale, but who knows. Recently heard about Prodeus, a late 90s esque FPS made with some modern features that includes an "easy to use level editor" which is another reason for me to look forward to it. http://www.prodeusgame.com/website/index.php

Also I found this thing, RPG World (https://store.steampowered.com/app/492150/RPG_World__Action_RPG_Maker/) I think it used to be called MyWorld in 2017. If that's true it's been two years in early access, so I'm not holding my breath. Cool idea, though.
Pages: first prev 12 last