[RMMV] [RMVX ACE] PROS AND CONS: RMMV VS. VX ACE

Pages: first 12 next last
So this isn't a free-for-all "which game engine is the best" kinda thread, I just want to specifically ask about RMVX Ace vs. RMMV. For those of you Ace users who made the jump to MV, was it all you'd hoped for, was there anything you regretted, etcetera? What does MV do better than Ace, and if applicable, vice versa?

I was initially gunshy around MV because it switched from Ruby to Java but...I'm kind of kidding myself that I've really made any progress in learning RGSS scripting over the years. Any scripting ability I have with Ruby is incredibly basic, not to mention rusty.

On balance, I'm probably inclined to buy MV, but if I shouldn't, please tell me!

Thanks.
The two engines are virtually the same with a few key differences:
Rpg MV database can store twice the amount of information in variables, switches,
and entry slots. The mapping resolution appears 1.5x better.
(48 pixels instead of 32). The selection of music is somehow limited.
Extra compatibility with smaller screens namely tabloid devices.

What exactly do you mean when you say the music is limited? Like, less songs included in the RTP or is there actually a limit placed on how many songs you can import for whatever reason?
Hey there StormCrow!

Just wanted to say that RMMV by default doesn't have all there songs in it, the rest of them come in another folder which is titled base resources. If you purchase RMMV, you should get them both, just to be clear there.

When you put the extra resources into the default RMMV project you should have a good number of songs. I think then the number of songs are roughly the same as RMVXA.

You can also import as many songs as you want, or at least there is not limit to my knowledge.
MV axed the RTP so when you make a new game it has to copy files to your new game project. To keep the file size from ballooning out of control it just copies part of the resources included with the maker. The rest are in the base resources folder boos mentioned and you'll have to copy what you want over to your game folder.

I'm trapped in the abyss of VX so I can't give much else for useful feedback. I remember there being a few problems at launch (autotiles get out of sync, atrocious loading and sync issues on web deployments, some editor lag issues with big databases) but they might've been fixed by now. I think MV has received more support than previous makers at least.
Instead of pros and cons, it will be better to tell the difference between them since pros and cons are depends on each individual.

1. First, and the first thing I noticed when tried MV is. It doesn't play MIDI. It understandable on the design perspective since MV value is for multi platform. Whether it's a pros or cons is up to you. But for me, it was the whole reason I don't use MV.

2. MV does not have built-in script editor. If you're a scripter, and you want to use your fave IDE or text editor, you can. Unlike VXAce that you're bound to built-in script editor. If you prefer built-in script editor, you don't like MV.

3. Plugin control has more friendly config that you can easily turn on / off make it easier to control. And (maybe) a config that lead to less user config error, unlike VXAce which sometimes require the script user to have a little knowledge on scripting.

4. RTP, the new project you created in MV imports all(?) the resources in your project, effectively adds almost 400mb by creating a project alone. VXAce in other hand, referenced the RTP to their respective folder. Creating multiple project is much space friendly than MV.

5. Bigger tileset. MV use 48px tiles while Ace use 32px. Whether you like or not is entirely up to you. There had been a plugin that allow you to switch to 32px tiles, but afaik, it's really not convenient.

6. MV natively support bigger screen by default. VXAce can only support 640x480 before you started to use third party tool like resolution breaker script or RGD.

7. The selling point of MV itself, a multiple port. Cmiiw, the exe(?) of MV is effectively a browser, which mean it supposed to be able to run in other platform well. If you are aiming for multiple port, you should go with MV instead of sticking with Ace and try to get a workaround with it.

8. A dark theme in MV editor for people who prefer it.

9. Built-in sideview battle system and a better character generator that doesn't exist in VXAce. Granted, VXAce also has generator, but do people already use that?

10. Also another selling point of MV is that the developer still care about it and keep updating it. You can even suggest the improvement of it. While VXAce, you're stuck with this current version. No UI update, no QoL update whatsoever.

EDIT 2:
11. It also claimed that MV also use GPU advantage unlike VXAce that only use CPU that is supposed to make it run faster/smoother, yet in fact many reported that MV runs horrible compared to VXAce, so take it with a grain of salt.

There might be more things I missed, but idk.
-------------------
My personal preference?

I don't need all the additional features offered by MV. All they did was to remove something I need and introduce something I don't need. Including removing MIDI player and built-in script editor. I don't need multiple port so I have no reason to jump to MV.

Besides I already settled all the things I need for my game. I know how to script, and already have custom battle system in my hand. I don't want to redo all the things myself. Including to learn js and deal with external text editor.

I think multiple port itself is enough as a reason to jump over to MV though.
-------------------

EDIT: As for the question whether you want/need to buy it though, I'd say buy it anyway. But wait for sales. Even if you don't use it, having MV itself is already worth, just in case in future or so. Besides the new RTP resources aren't that bad
I forgot to also mention when I play MV games I sometimes have to wait a few seconds on loading screens per big map and in battles and on some maps experience some lag, neither issues I have with VX Ace. A lot of others have said they experience the same lag issue. Not sure about loading times.

I still prefer MV overall, but that may make you want to pick VX Ace, you got to weigh up all the pros and cons and see what seems best for you and the type of game you're making.

Also, just like Theodoric said the default MV RTP consumes a lot more MBs than the default VX Ace RTP. Started up a new project in MV and it says it's 358MBs. That's a LOAD more than VX Ace, but if you don't use up all the resources you can delete some of them and reduce it maybe 300MB or 250MB.

The VX Ace character generator isn't that good in my opinion, but there are lots of good resources in the RTP set mostly from the previous VX verison and some new ones that are good.

MV is more limited with its custom graphical resources but has a way better character generator and you can find some great custom resources for it, i.e. a crown or soldier cloths and knight helmets, if you look around the internet for them.

If you're going with VX Ace, I would still look out for MV sales and buy it when it's on sale like Theodoric said. I agree completely it's worth having just in case you use it in the future.
I am curious about the battle system. MV claims to offer a side-view battle system option with a check of a box. Does that come with animated PC battlers? How do they look and how many are there?

What makes the character generator better than the one for VX Ace (I'm not suggesting Ace's character generator is hard to top, just curious about the specifics)?

I'm slightly shocked that MV doesn't allow for the use of MIDIs? That just seems super arbitrary and alienating. I mean, I guess over the (REDACTED) years I've been fucking around with RPG Makers I've been gradually transitioning over to MP3 but...I still love my MIDIs, darn it.

Overall...I'm still undecided. (I tried downloading a trial version of MV but apparently I had already done that and it expired some time in the past. I literally don't even remember. I think I probably downloaded the trial and let the time expire without even opening the engine because I got busy with something else.)

Side-Note: I have felt stupid using the term "battler" since the time when XP was supplanting 2k3 (or trying), because it's really awkward terminology, but it is the terminology they chose. What was it in 2k3, BattleCharSet? Yeah that's not better.
Yeah by default in MV you can tick a box and have a good side-view battle system, but they don't do much animated movement by default, this isn't a problem though if you decide to use some of Yanfly plugins, which gives a LOT of control over character movement per skill, item, etc. But there may be a bit of a learning curve with Yanfly Action Sequence plugins. Some people can learn that quickly, others find it difficult to understand.

You can see those scripts at the three links below.
1. http://yanfly.moe/2015/10/11/yep-4-action-sequence-pack-1/
2. http://yanfly.moe/2015/10/12/yep-5-action-sequence-pack-2/
3. http://yanfly.moe/2015/10/12/yep-6-action-sequence-pack-3/

There is also a guide to it by Yoshifull. You can find that here
https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%21AJZH2TRRGmIB%2DU8&cid=B6F4050F43660988&id=B6F4050F43660988%2114446&parId=B6F4050F43660988%21138&o=OneUp

As for the character generator, I did a quick search in google to show the comparison. I should be clear I was talking about the facesets when I said VX Ace generator isn't that great not the actual charsets, which in my opinion are fine.

VX Ace Character Generator
Male example
http://blog.rpgmakerweb.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/CharacterGenerator1.png

Female example
https://d289qh4hsbjjw7.cloudfront.net/rpgmaker-20130522223546811/files/FeatureAce5.jpg

MV Character Generator

Some examples
http://dainiri-art.weebly.com/uploads/5/7/2/6/57267355/6903132_orig.png

That should give you a good idea on the differences.

You can have a side-view system with RPG Maker VX Ace, and it's still good, still can have animated movement too, but requires additional scripts.

Here's a video showing you an example of the Tankentai side view battle system for VX Ace (was very popular years ago).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N52yszOIQ9g

and here's a video tutorial guide on it too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4lEsQyIPIc

Hope that all helps you. :)

As for MIDI's format issue, I didn't know that, but I know there are internet tools out there that can convert file formats. So there is a way to use converted MIDI files in MV as MP3's.

I usually stick with default music stuff these days so for myself it's no problem but I use to love using some free MIDI file resources on an abandoned VX project I worked on in 2008. I know the format doesn't consume much space and still can play great music, so that's another con about MV then.

As GreatRedSpirit and Theodoric said, there is support for MV. They still update it to newer verison. I have heard though it's not wise to update if you're in the middle of a project with a outdated verison of it, as some plugins break with updates and can damage the current project.

If that does happen though, there are ways to return it to a former verison of the software and I think that fixes the issues.

The good thing is, there are ways around most of the problems out there.
One thing to note as well, RGSS3 scripts are dying. People stop making a new script, so new plugin stuff mostly for MV. Most of nowdays scripter aren't interested to make new RGSS3 script. Or at least, as far as I know. However, that doesn't deny the fact that there are already plenty of RGSS3 scripts that available and already enough to make a lot of stuff.

Majority of VXAce user afaik are veterans and know what they are doing. They know how to deal with this fact, and maybe even create their own stuff for themselves. A new user (that maybe also don't know how to deal with the back-end of the script) should look at MV for better support.
Yeah, I definitely fall more on the Veteran side, in that I have I need in Ace and know how they work (although there are probably hundreds of scripts out there for Ace I've never tried or played with). But MV is still intriguing.

Side-Note: I really liked the function-first, a la carte direction that Yanfly took with his work for Ace and I wasn't a fan of his Battle Engine Symphony (or whatever it was called) for VX. It had a great amount of functionality built in, but felt almost deliberately user unfriendly and seemed like it required you to manually program in note tags/comment boxes a lot of functionality that should just have been native to the battle system itself, and it was never quite clear which commands were assumed/optional and which were necessary, so I erred on the side of using more commands and long story short, I remember feeling it was very overwhelming/annoying. This inclines me to stick with Ace (where if I'm feeling side-viewy, I use Yanfly's dirt simple Visual Battlers script, with or without Fomar's dope ATB script). Don't get me wrong, Yanfly is awesome. FWIW I never actually tried Tankentai (or if I did I can't flippin' remember it).

But I am still undecided. Anybody got a good video of what MV's sideview battle system looks like without Yanfly's add-ons? I'm just curious if some basic things like moving to your target to attack, and vice versa, are native to the engine or are going to require configuring a suite of plugins. I'd Youtube search it but generally speaking it's not really easy to tell which scripts are being used in a Youtube video.
I believe you can get trial versions of both, so you can check them out before deciding to purchase either.
Ace's Trial
MV's Trial

Checking out the trials give you a good feel for how they'll run on your computer as well as what they both have to offer. Both have limitations to the amount of things you can add for the trials but you should get a good feel for what the base engines feel like at least.
So here is the thing. If you already have plan set in motion on your game and already have things you need in Ace, then stick with it.

If you plan to play things around and get to know new stuff, try MV. Probably not best to start a serious project right away in MV.

Either way, just buy MV when it goes sale. Decide your main engine later.
Mirak
Stand back. Artist at work. I paint with enthusiasm if not with talent.
If you ever think about using lots of pictures in your game, or custom resources larger than the usual resolution then you should consider running away from MV. MV really does not like that.

Last time I used MV was like 5 weeks ago. It still puzzles me that I can play Batman: Arkham City on 60fps at full graphical settings and somehow a game engine that makes cheapo 2D snessy rpg's somehow makes my computer breathe heavy and reach for the inhaler. The lag is still very much present and ever the turd in the cherry pie. I will never not complain about this.

If I could have VX Ace with support for web browsers and mac executables I'd be so happy.
But i know that will never happen. The larger pool of exporting options is what's attractive about MV for me, but really, how larger would my audience really be, if lots of people will experience lag or will get odd bugs because MV had a panic attack when it saw the bunch of pictures I asked it to put on screen at the same time?

Maybe it's different for Mac computers, maybe the android builds arent super wonky like people say, i dont know because I am not being allowed to do what I want to do.

There is much that can be done with the engine, as some people on rmn have demonstrated with a few of their games, it just wasnt for me at the time I used it.

Get it on sale, it is being put in one often. I would have had a much louder tantrum had I paid full price for this crazy ride.

I can only say I kind of regret buying it, but then again I said the same thing about Ace when I first got it, so maybe what MV needs is time to become less disappointing. I don't know when that will happen or if it will, but yeah..
Oh I forgot about the icons! MV default icons are like this
https://www.aloye.com/images/ectgw_forum_images/IconSet.png

Very different from VX Ace icons. See here.
http://i.imgur.com/eM7Hudt.png

So if you're not making custom icons yourself and you're not happy with those, you may want to use VX Ace.

You CAN swap them for VX Ace icons, but you have to OWN the license of VX Ace as well as MV to do that.

If you own the license of both engines though, I quite like Yanfly's MV icons that you then qualify to use. You can find them here.
http://yanfly.moe/2015/10/23/freebies-mv-ready-ace-icons/

I think Theodoric last post is the best advice for you.
They're basically the same (sorta).
The tile size however bothers me, 48x48 is weird as it's 1.5x 32x32 and 32x32 is a lot cleaner to make.

MV has some issues likely caused by it being HTML5/web heavy but it was done in such a poor way it causes a lot of issues.

MV does allow you to use tiled which is nice but you can use the ace engine with XP so that kinda is a moot point.

I mean for desktop Ace > MV and I've used both.

Both are on sale on humble bundle for the next 15 hours.
author=Bluefeathr42
Both are on sale on humble bundle for the next 15 hours.

Well that sure made my decision for me. 70% OFF? Yes PLEASE. THANKS Bluefeathr42, you probably just saved me about 60 bucks! I owe you one.
No problem. It's always good to check it now and again. That's how I originally got RPG Maker
My meager understanding is that some of the problems with MV may be the fault of the architecture it's based on (Node Webkit, which was already fairly old when MV was released) so there's no telling if those issues can ever be fully resolved.
Pages: first 12 next last