[RMVX ACE] COMBINING ACTORS INTO ONE ACTOR

Pages: 1
I'm pretty sure I have a good idea of how to do this via eventing, but I figure if there's a script out there it'd save me a ton of time.'m wondering if it's possible.

THIS IS FOR A TACTICAL BATTLE SYSTEM

Could you, create an actor, who's stats and abilities are all the stats and abilities of multiple other characters.

For example; you have
Lia, a priest,
Joshua, a mage,
Nede, an Archer
Vero, a Warrior.

Each of these characters has 10 attack, and 10 health.
They are traveling and fighting battles, when suddenly they find themselves on a massive battle ground. The player has to separate them into two units.

If Unit 1 is Lia and Nede, that unit has access to all their abilities, and their combined health.

So 20 hp, and 20 attack.

and fights as a single unit in battle.

Is this possible to do? Creating a single merged actor?
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
Both stats and skills are defined by the character's class. So, maybe, make separate classes in the database where the stats and skills of the two members of that unit are combined. If the intent is that players choose who goes into what unit, that's still technically doable, depending on the size of the cast.

I suppose you can push instances of RPG::Class into $data_classes on the fly? So, maybe something like...

tact_unit = RPG::Class.new
tact_unit.id = $data_classes.size
(1..99).each do |i|
    (0..7).each {|j| tact_unit.params[j,i] = $data_classes[1].params[j,i] + $data_classes[3].params[j,i] }
end
tact_unit.learnings.push($data_classes[1].learnings)
tact_unit.learnings.push($data_classes[3].learnings)
# Feature array?
$data_classes.push(tact_unit)

...this? I dunno. I kinda don't want to mess with $data_classes too much.
My thoughts were on eventing, my current set up is taking the hp of all selected units(up to four), adding them together and storing them as a variable.

"Get HP"

then setting another unit's parameters to match that variable.

so
Get HP = 0
Get HP = Get HP + Lia HP
Get HP = Get HP + Nede HP

then setting Unit 1 as an actor and
Unit1 HP = Get HP
then simply doing that with all possible parameters.

I'm simply wondering if there isnt a more feasible way of doing it.
Couldn't not click this, piqued my interest. Okay, so it's a little hard to grok exactly what you want. Not your fault, it's just kind of nuanced.

In terms of the program's default functionality, without getting into RGSS3 hi-jinx, couldn't you create an actor called Unit 1 (or whatever), and give it a new class called Unit 1 (or whatever) that has all of the skills of Lia and Nede, and their combined stats. Then simply remove Lia and Nede from the party and add Unit 1 (or whatever) to the party. Likewise, create a Unit 2 (or whatever), with a new class called Unit 2 (or whatever) that has all of Joshua and Vero's skills and their combined stats. Then yank Joshua and Vero from the party and add Unit 2 (or whatever). (This would get unwieldy with the default numeric range that Ace uses for attributes, but it sounds like you're well away from that.)

I mean, obviously that's only viable if the combinations of characters into pairs or squads or whatever is based on a limited, finite number of combinations. If you want the player to be able to combine up any characters in any combination...that's probably going to require scripting. It's all a matter of how many possible combinations there are.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
What combinations of characters are allowed for units will absolutely dictate what the best approach is. I'm not denying that. Though, what tactical battle system is being used might also dictate the approach as well. For example, with GTBS, one is probably best off with delineating units through classes (as StormCrow suggests), and limit what characters can be in each unit.

If you're using another system, I don't know. It would depend on what that system is. For example, I've done something similar to this idea of "combined actors", here, though the processing is a tad different in that post/blog that what you want for your game. The base concept is similar, though.
That's pretty much exactly what I had in mind. during normal battles everyone is an individual unit, but n large scale battles you have to merge them.

I'm pretty sure I've got it figured out through eventing though.

my current set up(thought tedious) allows the player to select 4 party members, it sums up all their stats, and the corresponding unit actor receives the stats.

So
Brigade 1, select units.
Lia, Nede, Joshua, Vero, Kelos, Sammy, Fayren.
picking a character shows a dialogue box with all their stats.
the player than confirms to add them and their stats are added to a total.

This seems to work for the most part, but I'll be doing more testing. Luckily I can just copy and paste a lot of the processes.

I also have it so each character has a personal variable, and the variable's value is equivalent to the unit they were selected for. When they player disbands a unit those actors are re-added.
Pages: 1