WHAT ARE YOUR FAVORITE AND LEAST FAVORITE PARTS OF GAM MAK?

Pages: first prev 123 last
I love making cutscenes, making combat system, and making neat puzzles.

I hate mapping. I REALLY hate mapping. ;_;

Case in point, I got back into my big project yesterday, and in the space of a few hours I hammered out a neat little minigame, and had a blast the whole time.

Today? I'm mentally crying as I try to set up the mapping of this next dungeon. I have no idea what to do with it. ;_;
I like making messy event systems where I dont even know whats going on half the time.

I dont like having to figure out whats what in the messy interlocked event systems that i made whenever ago as the bugs start to pop up.

Also not big on writing, mapping, musick, graphics, and scripts.
Guess that explains why i havent even finished 1 game that isnt from some gammak event
Vaccaria
You'd think MZ would use a dictionary for switches/variables by now?
I actually like doing almost every single thing in RPG Maker. From scripting to editing sprites.

My only hate is the amount of time that I get just to make games. By now, I already have a project long due for about 3 years now, only to be revived because I have a team now to lessen the work.

If anything, the beta will be the actual pain in the ass. The beginning is easy, the end is like being slapped in the face by reality.
halibabica
RMN's Official Reviewmonger
The things I like most are writing and scripting. It's fun to put scenes together and watch them play out. Even taking little notes to make them better is oddly satisfying.

The things I like least are getting bogged down in bug fixing when the obvious thing doesn't work for unobvious reasons. Also releasing games to zero enthusiasm.
I love most aspects of it, except for creating graphical assets. Any time I reach a point where I know I have to open an image editor, I just dread it, and wind up procrastinating. It happens frequently.
AtiyaTheSeeker
In all fairness, bird shrapnel isn't as deadly as wood shrapnel
Though I'm not as experienced, my favorite parts of game making is definitely working on the database stuff. Concocting skills and items is fun for me, and I've only recently begun to use templates because I like hand-crafting each skill for some reason. Second to this is finding music and thinking of where to put it into the project.

Worst part of game dev for me is definitely the graphical aspects of things. Of all my game dev overthinking, it's often graphic assets -- whether or not I can find all the monster sprites I want to use for different species, stressing if the RTP map tiles for RPG Maker will be good enough, coming up with a means to find, commission or create animal-folk sprites for my project, making sure they all fit the tone of the game and that the menu graphics don't feel anachronistic... ughhhh.

For better or worse, I'm gonna try to stick with RM2k for my current endeavors, using palette swaps instead of completely original sprites for similar monster species (i.e. a ghoul being a recolored zombie, et cetera). In fact, I'm also going to change the palettes of pixel art I've obtained to match an NES aesthetic as well. >_>
author=Aegix_Drakan
I love making cutscenes, making combat system, and making neat puzzles.

I hate mapping. I REALLY hate mapping. ;_;

Same, but the exact opposite.
Melkino
solos collectors on purpose
favorite:
- Making the UI less obviously stock RPG Maker as possible, like rearranging the entire layout, custom pause & battle menus, and changing fonts
- Breaking down big tasks into smaller to-dos, then knocking them out in rapid succession to feel productive

least favorite:
- Replacing or renaming an asset (like a BGM), and having to manually find and change every occurrence of the old filename so that the game doesn't return an error message or straight up crash
- Tileset mapping; the idea of setting all those passabilities for every entry makes me freeze up, and parallaxes seemed easier for me to make
I'd say I'm fortunate in that I can enjoy most parts of game-making, at least for a limited period of time. Perhaps that's why I keep jumping from section to section. The most consistently enjoyable part is naturally taking ideas and figuring out the fundamentals to implement them. Actually coding that all the way through to the bitter end, less so. Similarly, things like trying to display personality through a character's moveset is another fun instance of utilizing limitations as a strength.

Worst part is definitely uploading and writing news posts and other media to get people interested in the first place. That stuff feels incredibly time-sensitive, and lacks any long-term impact that just shutting up and working has. And there's absolutely no worse feeling like watching an entire decade of work sink into the abyss without making a single ripple.
If you ask me, nobody did but who cares? I do think the worst part is finishing a game. Perhaps you would feel like you have achieved something great, unforgettable, but not me. To your servitor it would be like having nothing left to do, I might have panicked at the idea of further developing a game or demo with a short story terribly mixed into a crappy game world. Yeah, I hate I cannot find the kind of graphical resources I would love to include in my games. OK, at least some of them would be weird for RPGs, not that much for other genres I guess.

The best part of game making would be... being lazy the whole time!? :P
KrimsonKatt
Gamedev by sunlight, magical girl by moonlight
My favorite parts are writing the dialogue and making the story. My least favorite parts are working in the database and mapping.
Visual assets are my bread and butter. Delicious. I also really like playing with sound design and I have a love-hate relationship with mapping. Eventing can be fun, except... when it's not.

My least favorite part is beta testing because I'm impatient and also I feel obligated to apologize for every tiny bug my testers run into, even though the point is that they test to fish out those bugs.
I'm always surprised to come back after a period of near total inactivity to find two of my threads at the top of GD&D.

Anyway, on reflection, I enjoy mapping a fair bit more when I'm high. Also, as long as I keep EVERY MAP SMALL, I'm pretty good at it and it doesn't become an overwhelming chore.

I dislike debugging. Especially when I can't get anyone to help me test. The level of resentment you develop towards your own game by the five or six hundredth time you've playtested it yourself is really unhealthy. The only part of game making I really truly hate, though, is trying to get people to play the damn game I made. It makes me feel like a whore, and not even a very successful whore.
I like mapping, composing, storytelling, eventing, etc.
Hate everything related to the database.
I love working with code specifically playing around with new or interesting ways of doing things. For instance my game "The Grimoire of Worlds" uses 3D mesh tiles but is coded like a height map. It was an interesting solution to a problem I was having.
I also love playing around with Voxels and using them in different ways(combining them with Flip3D code is awesome but a lot of image work)
I also love to make tools that do certain jobs for me(My fav tool I made is one that cel shades, animates, snapshots, and pastes all the images into a sprite sheet that I can use in my game)
author=StormCrow
Anyway, on reflection, I enjoy mapping a fair bit more when I'm high.

Admittedly, I enjoy mapping when I'm NOT high as well, but feel it generally improves the experience. But I feel seen here.
I usually only enjoy mapping in the brief mental window between "this is barren garbage" and "there are only so many ways to dress up a map".
Pages: first prev 123 last