WHAT WAS THE WORST/FUNNIEST/MOST MEMORABLE MOMENT YOU'VE HAD WHILE SOMEONE ELSE WAS PLAYING YOUR GAME?

Pages: first 12 next last
Mine happened pretty recently. I had a few friends over for a live playtest session, the first one I had in awhile. They were playing the first hour of the game, and on THE VERY FIRST ENEMY, they got one-shotted instantly.

What had happened was that I buffed the normal attack skill right beforehand, but forgot that enemies used that same skill as well... hence, instant one-shot. Had to stop the session for a bit to fix things, but after that it was mostly fine.

...yeah, don't go changing stats ten minutes before a live test, kids.

Another classic example was when Archeia played one of my games for a contest years ago, and due to the weird pixel movement system I used, she couldn't get into the next area and quit the game. Probably one of the more embarassing moments of my RM career. I can't find the video of it anymore, but in retrospect it was pretty hilarious.

What are some of your stories? It can be anything from friends playing it live, streamers, etc.
Oblic leveling all 4 parties to level 99 in Hero's Realm
https://rpgmaker.net/games/82/media/644/

That was pretty memorable.
I don't think I'll ever forget watching Liberty do a bunch of southern accents during the Theme Roulette stream.
Watching a German guy steam my game and realising I had made questionable choices ha ha
I had a multiplayer rpg and found out one of my testers was playing all 4 characters at once. He bound everyone's movement to the same keys and stacked everyone on top of each other by walking into the corner of the room.

Once my 8 year old nephews found an rpg maker game I made when I was 11. They thought it was the coolest thing. They even liked it better than any game I've made in the last few years.
NeverSilent
Got any Dexreth amulets?
Ramshackin, that first story is amazing.

A friend of mine at one point recorded a Let's Play of a game I had just released, and accidentally discovered that during one particularly difficult puzzle/minigame, it was possible to walk straight through a wall, thereby skipping every single obstacle. And just because I had forgotten to change a single variable. Watching that, I felt like a moron.

Towards the end that same playthrough, she triggered a Game Over scene that hinted at the death of a main character. Which she got really upset about, to the point of feeling guilty for having "killed" this character. It sounds a little mean, but that reaction was my favourite moment, just because it showed she was really immersed in the game at that point.
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
The most memorable moment for me was when I saw a let's play of Soul Sunder a long time ago and, when a character from the childhood arc returned in the adult arc, I could actually hear him pounding his desk in excitement saying "It's her! It's her! Holy crap!"

The worst moment was when someone else rage quit Soul Sunder three screens into the first dungeon of the childhood arc because the fights were too hard. Watching his video, I noticed that he didn't explore the starting town and consequentially had no attack or healing items to survive the first dungeon. Not only that, but he didn't even hold shift to run to avoid encounters!

There were a lot of lessons to take from his attempt, and I like to think I've improved quite a bit at teaching players mechanics since then.
Dyluck
For thousands of years, I laid dormant. Who has disturbed my slumber?
Gotta love it when you're watching your game played on live stream, and then RM2K3 gives you a random DIVISION BY ZERO ERROR out of nowhere, even though it was just a regular ice spell, and you can't even use custom damage formulas or anything in this engine.
When my friend playtested my game in an LP and found a major exploit using the final bosses huge big bang attack on himself, by reflecting it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIQwFBTR-48&index=6&list=PLUj5K-eVpMeKFWBVf3SZEk9w9bHOAAxP_&t=1993s

Good times
Someone streamed my game, and one of the watcher assumed one of my characters was a gal while it's actually a guy. I mean, it worked as intended since I have three main cast, one guy, one gal, and one actually looked like trap. Even the name is also fit for both genders.
I have one similar to Theodoric.

In July 2008 I made a demo of a game on VX and one person who played it thought one of the characters was male, when that character was actually female. Then someone else said to that person they thought the character was female but admitted it wasn't clear enough in the game one way or the other.

Then they both said to me I should keep that character genderless and leave it up to people to think it could be male or female, and then they also said at some point near the end of the game, map an area where they have them go to the toliet / bathroom and let that explain there gender.

I lol'd at this back then.

If anyone is intrested in the name of the character, it was called Ashsa.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
I've been running my online game for years and years, and we've had like 30 different coders over that time, and one terrible habit we have is just implementing code on the live server while people are in the middle of playing. Unless it is a vast sweeping change that we can't test without implementing it, at least. Usually we can test everything on the live server, just in private rooms, on mobs and fake characters that inherit custom code. And then when it's time to roll it out we just tell people "nobody fight anything for a minute" and do it.

A few times over the years the game has crashed as a result. WHOOPS.

Also I remember once that an unreleased boss killed my test character, and so everyone found out the boss's name. That was fun. NO GUYS, PLEASE IGNORE THE ANNOUNCEMENT JUST NOW THAT EMPEROR VANDOLE KILLED SOMEONE, HAHAHA, I CAN NEITHER CONFIRM NOR DENY THAT HE WILL BE FIGHTABLE IN A COUPLE WEEKS, IT'S JUST A CUSTOM NAME I GAVE TO A RABITE, YOU BELIEVE ME RIGHT

Of course I'm not the only developer for this game, so I can't be blamed for everything. There was the time the previous lead developer tried to code a new bug reporting system, and the bug reporting system itself had a bug, which caused it to crash the game if no bugs had been reported. NOT MY FAULT. Also an A+ example of nested irony.

But the time I crashed the game by accidentally making a monster generator spawn more monster generators instead of just spawning monsters, I can probably take credit for.

And the time I accidentally erased everyone's progress on a certain quest chain, and then intentionally crashed the game to try to keep the deletion from saving. (Which didn't even work. It had already saved.)

And the time I crashed the game while coding a novelty item that was supposed to make an endless kirby dance continue on the screen every few seconds. <('_'<) <('_')> (>'_')> <('_')> <('_'<) <('_'v) <('_'^) (^'_'^) (^'_')> (v'_')> (v'_'v) (^'_'^) (^'_') (_^') (__^) (___) (^__) ('^_) ('_'^) (^'_'^) (^'_')> <('_')> <('_'v) (v'_'v) (v'_') (_v') (__v) (___) (v__) ('v_) ('_'v) (v'_'v) (^'_'^) <('_')>
Mine is really not a happy memory. My girlfriend at the time was playing one of my games and managed to find an embarassing bug that I was sure wasn't there--she had a knack for that actually and would have made an excellent tester for just that reason. Anyway, I got REALLY MAD (because I was embarrassed and had wanted to impress her) and we had an awful fight. Man I was an asshole back then.

Over the years, I have never not felt at least slightly annoyed when watching an LP of one of my games. There's always some piece of obvious text the LPer skips past that causes them to bitch about something later that the text explained perfectly and it's like GAH DUDE/DUDETTE you're PLAYING IT WRONG!!! Unlike the above experience which is from a dark period in my life that I'm through with, this is probably something I'll never completely get over.

and the bug reporting system itself had a bug, which caused it to crash the game if no bugs had been reported.

lmfao
This mom + daughter LP I got one time is still pretty dang adorable and memorable: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWjtMuQOhiE

https://youtu.be/OHy4jbtrhAE?t=12m50s
I remember this part of the playthrough in particular was the closest I felt a player or audience really engaged with the design that I had come up with. The game I worked on was essentially a half baked RE clone with really shoddy combat but the room/item dynamics were still there enough for someone to actually beat it. Also their reaction to overcoming the difficulty is hilarious to me still. Just seeing players dedicated to your game is really a treat.

Note: Hilariously this room is really redundant since it requires a "key" to get in to but it rewards you with yet another key. (VHS tapes are universal keys in this game) but hey, regardless my point still stands.

The more negative videos I got don't really stand out too much, usually just the standard intro tutorial failure of player conveyance not working out.
Gretgor
Having gotten my first 4/5, I must now work hard to obtain... my second 4/5.
Earlier this year, I made a game for my girlfriend to celebrate our third anniversary. I finished the whole thing in the span of twelve hours, so it was far from polished or entirely functional. It was kind of a short little adventure game with a few puzzles, eight secret collectibles (pictures of us), and four main collectibles (little stories about our moments together).

Watching her tear up as she got each collectible was priceless, and it made it all worthwhile. She barely noticed the glaring bugs that she encountered, it made me really happy. It made me even happier that she set out to get all secret collectibles without me having to ask.

Now, if only I could be as dedicated to my "real" projects as I was to that one, they'd probably be done already. I started making that game at about 6 PM in the day before the anniversary, and finished it at about 6 AM in the day of the anniversary, without stopping for much more than five minutes at a time. I'm just unable to do the same for my serious projects for some weird reason, maybe it's the fact that I have to be much more attentive to detail and quality control on those, so I end up getting demotivated quickly.
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
Having my RM2k3 game show up on a Russia shareware disk was kinda cool:

https://rpgmaker.net/games/1044/blog/3132/
I made a poorly-drawn rock tile in Soma Spirits. I made the mistake of making it brown.

Every single person who has LP'd the game thought it was poop.
@Sgt M

I feel your pain. Been there, done that.

My game isn't by any stretch playable yet but I showed a friend the tiles and the sprites I was working on and explained that I was trying to stick to Game Boy Color limits and he goes, "Oh that's why the guy looks like a south park character."
author=Bluefeathr42
@Sgt M

I feel your pain. Been there, done that.

My game isn't by any stretch playable yet but I showed a friend the tiles and the sprites I was working on and explained that I was trying to stick to Game Boy Color limits and he goes, "Oh that's why the guy looks like a south park character."

https://rpgmaker.net/games/4818/images/34433/
Pages: first 12 next last