DO YOUR GAMES HAVE A CONTINUITY?

Pages: first 12 next last
I want everyone to take a look at their past games and see if there is a common thread somewhere.

Like, the Metroid series apparently has a sort of chronology, as do the Zelda games (weird though), and Elder Scrolls (Daggerfall has mutliple endings, so I'm not sure about that one).

So far, Girl of Dreams is disconnected from all the other stuff. But other than that, That Damned Redhead, Oracle of Tao, The New Earth, and Tales from the Reaper are all part of the same continuity.

The timeline goes something like this.

Tales from the Reaper (outside of time)
----------------------------------------------
Creation of universe
(stuff happens)
Last days of Earth (possibly make a game about this at some later point?)
===============
New Earth forms
===============
(more stuff happens, specifically a Plague, a war in Phoenix, and the forming of the Council)
Oracle of Tao
That Damned Redhead
The New Earth
-----------------------------------------------
Tales from the Reaper (outside of time)

The Tales from the Reaper has some events before the creation of the universe, some during our era (right now), some at the same time as the Oracle of Tao game, and time is in so sense looped, since later events lead up to something in Anideshi's backstory (it's heavily implied that Azrael and Anideshi are human reincarnations of Seishi and Yomi).

Oracle of Tao appears to take place roughly 3000 years after the New Earth forms.

That Damned Redhead is largely a quickie joke game, but one scene refers to a prophecy of someone named Ash.

The New Earth involves Ash/Ashley. It's pretty stupid, but it's kinda the last game that connects the events, and reintroduces Estheriel, a villain from Oracle of Tao.

What about you? Do your games have some kind of common thing to them?
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

Dragon Lancer uses Giadon Saga character
Giadon Saga uses Dragon Lancer character
Demonic Tutor has appearance of Giadon Saga character
Dragon Lancer MV is a remake of Dragon Lancer, it references No Gold for Brigands
Broken Gauntlet uses a character from Giadon Saga
Hired Sword references Giadon Saga, Demonic Tutor, and Broken Gauntlet
No Gold for Brigands has characters from Demonic Tutor
Othello has a battle against a character from Giadon Saga

My other games don't have references that I can remember.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
Matsumori Days, Arbiters From Another World and Konae's Investigations all all part of a series of games, most of which share a set of characters. However, there is a reference to a character in that series in Myriad Cypher, not to mention various cameos in other games that occur in some from. Such games include Baclyae Revolution, Muffle's Eat a Cactus games, and various Heartache 101 - Sour Into Sweet custom content characters. I would include Apon the brow tomorrow clear on that list, if, you know, it ever got off the ground.

Sorry, Libby.
Im really invested in worldbuilding so generally yes, I tend to focus more on either games set in a detailed universe or multiple games set in the same universe
Oh God Yes and it's all woven in to the continuity of my writing and other non-RM projects and it's so intricate and complicated that:

a) once you get me started I will probably talk about it until you want to slap me
b) I'd need a promise of privacy, effectively an informal non-disclosure agreement, to share

That said, if for some reason you want THAT PM, PM me, lol.
The final boss of Brave Hero Yuusha shows up as the bonus boss in Soma Spirits
and implies Soma Spirits is just another story for him to invade
but other than that there isn't a ton of overlap.

All my games from Yuusha onward tend to feature some shared monster or character designs though.

tbh I don't dig elaborate timelines all that much, but I'm all about vague "Are these seemingly irrelevant games actually in the same universe?" stuff.
author=StormCrow
Oh God Yes and it's all woven in to the continuity of my writing and other non-RM projects and it's so intricate and complicated that:

a) once you get me started I will probably talk about it until you want to slap me
b) I'd need a promise of privacy, effectively an informal non-disclosure agreement, to share

That said, if for some reason you want THAT PM, PM me, lol.

I want it. PM me.

I especially want it because I'm annoyed with my other thread and talking to brick walls. PM away!

author=kory_toombs
Dragon Lancer MV is a remake of Dragon Lancer, it references No Gold for Brigands

That's tangled up. Which one is "first" in terms of when you made it?
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

Dragon Lancer is my first game, but I knew I would make a second game. So, I made an optional side quest with Da-Zar fighting Lei-won. Those characters indeed showed up in my second game, Giadon Saga. Giadon Saga also has an option side quest where you can get Jason, from Dragon Lancer. Demonic tutor, my third game, then has Da-Zar, from Giadon Saga, stand in a very special business.

author=kory_toombs

My other games don't have references that I can remember.

shit dawg, you made a lotta games!!

author=bulmabriefs144
I want it. PM me.

Okay man, you asked for it. Brace yourself, but it'll probably take a while to compose so it might be a couple days. : )
author=kory_toombs
Dragon Lancer is my first game, but I knew I would make a second game. So, I made an optional side quest with Da-Zar fighting Lei-won. Those characters indeed showed up in my second game, Giadon Saga. Giadon Saga also has an option side quest where you can get Jason, from Dragon Lancer. Demonic tutor, my third game, then has Da-Zar, from Giadon Saga, stand in a very special business.

You may want to work on making your games feel more engaging somehow.

I played a ton of your games, and most of them I couldn't get past the first few parts. I don't mean in terms of challenge, they just didn't have that "I'm hooked" feel to them. I'm pretty severely ADD so a game pretty much has to somehow capture my attention (good story/graphics, or very funny, or something intriguing about the way it's designed).

Brave Hero Yuusha managed to keep me hooked until the desert area. I only quit, really, because I'd just spent a few hours playing, solving the puzzles, grind, etc.

The one of yours that I did like (they're jumbled in my head) had like a knight and his sister with some weird romantic overtones going on. The battle charsets were cute, and the story was interesting... Dragon Lancer MV. This was kinda your best game. Most of the others I played, it was about 15 minutes, and I was like "bored." Two things though, change up the battle music (like the 7th MV game, including Slime Quest and another one in Theme Roulette, that I've heard that theme from), and maybe improve how the battles are initiated (possibly do something with facing, like the Earthbound series).

A lot of mine and Indrah's games are set in the same world.
It's slightly out of date but I made a timeline (missing at least one game).

Roughly:
Abyssal Shine: Nevermelt - has a prophecy which details events that take place in some of the other games, it also has the parents of one of the characters from In Search of Dragons (who are likely to show up, should we finished In Search of Dragons).
Dead Moon Night - the main country that most of our games take place in/around or that the characters are from is first established (Ulstern).
In Search of Freedom (unfinished) - the country in this game borders the main country and deals with some of the fallout e.g. some people fleeing.
Harvest and Hunt 14 (not pictured) - This game takes place in Ulstern and takes takes place during a yearly festival, the cast from Dead Moon Night nearly all appear. Chronologically in uninverse this is also the first appearence of Elsa from the Grumpy Knight.
The Grumpy Knight - features two of the generals from Ulstern, though one is only in the epilogue.
In Search of Immortality - set in the same country.
Sunken Spire - Only time characters have been playable twice so far. Two of the characters are from In Search of Immortality and one is from the Grumpy Knight.
In Search of Clues - this is a prequel to In Search of Dragons, features two of the main characters from it.
In Search of Dragons (unfinished) - some planned appearences from the past games but none in the current demo.
My games will have continuity, my first game will be set in the present and then my 2nd game will be set as a prequel (if I do this right).

Right now I'm having issues with writing the story to make sure both connect properly, you would be surprised just how tough it is to make a Antagonist that isn't one-dimensional.
author=Fomar0153
A lot of mine and Indrah's games are set in the same world.
It's slightly out of date but I made a timeline (missing at least one game).

By royal edict, we need more such timelines.
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
I guess they do. I've sort of come up with a way to connect them all with a splitting timeline, but it's mostly for the sake of one other game that they're "connected".
author=bulmabriefs144
Brave Hero Yuusha managed to keep me hooked until the desert area. I only quit, really, because I'd just spent a few hours playing, solving the puzzles, grind, etc.

Are you thinking of some other game? Because the desert area is maybe an hour in and there's not much of a grind in Yuusha at all.
It def was more puzzle than grind. Except that cave I spent awhile going back and forth until I realized the one spot I hadn't tried was the hole. So I fought a few critters.
My games (half finished projects) don't have a continuity per se, but I sometimes reuse names or characters. Either because I'm too lazy to come up with new characters, or because I feel I can do something different/better with an already existing character. For example, Zach Almus, the main character from Steel Spirit SaGa is a party member in a RMXP game I plan to finish in the near future. Because it would be interesting to see how I write him in a world where he isn't the main character and he doesn't have his reputation to shield him from the more harsher discrimination that comes with someone who can't use magic in magic based worlds.
author=Fomar0153
awesomeness
Dude, I love that other creators think this way and it's not just me.

Although (and this is sort of in spite of the lengthy descriptions of the links between my RM games and the other media I work in that I PMed to bulma) my RPGMaker games generally speaking are all set in different unrelated universes except the ones that are explicitly set in the same universe (sequels, gaidens, w/e) although ostensibly they are all set within my multiverse (yes, I have a multiverse, and RM games I've made just make up a fraction of it).

Looking solely at my RM stuff, I have done much more in terms of producing "spiritual sequels" and "reboots" than I have in terms of producing actual continuity.

I reuse names a ton but I'm not sure that really counts.

why is this topic in general discussion and not game design
author=StormCrow
Looking solely at my RM stuff, I have done much more in terms of producing "spiritual sequels" and "reboots" than I have in terms of producing actual continuity.

Pretty much still what I was getting at.

Oracle of Tao is not a prequel or sequel of Tales from the Reaper. It's sorta set up so the events consider the first game, while being before it. I guess, I wanted to depict how time works for beings that don't have a real sense of standard cause and effect. So I made it a series of slice of life vignettes while the first game was standard chronology.
Pages: first 12 next last