SAWING THROUGH THE BASE'S SUPPORT BEAMS, IT'S THE CARPENTER OF JUSTICE, MAKING HIS GRAND ENTRANCE!

Pages: 1
Hello. I am CarpenterOfJustice. Please, for the sake of keeping things casual, just refer to me as Carpenter...unless there's someone else here who has Carpenter in their name. I don't know. I almost litreally just joined.

In any case, I am a hopeful video game designer who will most likely be an indie developer, though I guess I won't be entirely independent. This is because I am going to be relying on my friends and you good people to give me the pushes I'll need to take risks, and give me a swift kick in the rear if (read: when) I get a bad case of writer's block. I am very much aware of my limits, and with the help of you good people, perhaps I'll be able to overcome them.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
Nice to meet you, CARPENTER-OF-JUSTICE! (I am sorry, I couldn't resist it)

I love that artisan nick. Anyway, gam mak away! I am sure there'll be plenty resources.
What kind of games would you like to make for starters? Are you more of a writer, coder, artist? What engines are you using/would you like to learn to use?

I hope you'll enjoy your stay : D Have fun!
Oh also, if you want to mingle with peeps more, there is the Discord, but if it's for practical learning and advice, the forums are a better go.
Welcome to our jolly group of people, Carpenter!
author=Kylaila
Nice to meet you, CARPENTER-OF-JUSTICE! (I am sorry, I couldn't resist it)

I love that artisan nick. Anyway, gam mak away! I am sure there'll be plenty resources.
What kind of games would you like to make for starters? Are you more of a writer, coder, artist? What engines are you using/would you like to learn to use?

I hope you'll enjoy your stay : D Have fun!
Oh also, if you want to mingle with peeps more, there is the Discord, but if it's for practical learning and advice, the forums are a better go.

Thank you. As for the types of games I intend on making, and you may call me retro for this, I intend on making games that have a sort of old school flair to them. However, I do plan on adding in my own tweaks and quirks to the combat system, as well as drawing from the cultures, folklore, and legends of various parts of the world for specific locations, characters, enemies, side quests, and items. One thing I will always do is make sure you can see all the stats a weapon has. Unless it's absolutely vital that a certain detail (such as something that might spoil a plot point) be hidden, it won't be. Why do game makers even add hidden stats to basic weapons, anyways?

Ok, unintentional rants about hidden stats aside, I definitely fall more into the writer's catagory than anything else, though I do have some (read: barely any) experience in modifying sprites, so that'll probably come in handy. As for what engines I'd like to learn to use, I'll probably stick with learning how to use RPG Maker itself, once I have a good computer. My current one is absolute garbage.

Thank you for your time, Kyliala. And thank you, Shade, for the welcome.
So, old-school RPG? Am I reading that right?

Cool. Gl writing em up! And making em work
author=Kylaila
So, old-school RPG? Am I reading that right?

Cool. Gl writing em up! And making em work

You are reading that right. I want to make games that have that old Final Fantasy feel to them. Of course, I'll avoid the obvious plot points, plot twists and stereotypes, except a couple that I plan on twisting into something good rather than something that's been done a million times.

Example Stereotype: A main character being a relative of a main villain, with said character feeling obligated to defeat said villain due to being related
Example Twist 1: Villain had said child and sent them somewhere they'd become a hero because they want to determine what the world wanted between light or darkness.
Example Twist 2: Said villain is a double agent, and said main character related to them becomes uncertain/discouraged/confused due to having previously been certain that they had to atone for the actions of said villain, and now they aren't sure about their previous actions.
Example Twist 3: Said villain was a hero cursed to become evil and they knew it, so they had the child raised by someone who would turn them into a hero so the villain could have someone certain to try and stop them.
Pages: 1