12%
Chimera
4%
Year Long Project
12%
Something Else (Explain)
4%

Pages: first 1234 next last
We get events every month or so, and they usually boil down to about five main ones:
1. Do half a game then swap (ahem)
2. Random theme, short amount of time
3. Dumb games
4. Review events
5. Specific Theme (usually halloween/christmas)

Ummm so there doesn't seem to be a good spot to just submit ideas like this, putting it to a poll.

Matroska - A game within a game within a game (not to be confused with minigames)

Truly Random Game - Yeah they had a random game challenge, but it was from words on a thread. Maybe something like this: http://www.ratespeeches.com/t=Impromptu-Topics
where it just pulls a random topic and gives you something.

Engine Challenge - At the start of the challenge, you choose an engine. Some other user gets sent an engine, and has to make a game with it. Probably credit for a decent effort.

Music Video - Make a music video for your game. It must include both music and animated pictures of some sort. It doesn't necessarily need to be an avi-style video, it can be cutscenes or strung together art, but should include vocals. Probably a month-long event.

Fan Adaptation - Make a game based on some already existing story. I'd love to see the Lightbringer (Dark Prism, etc) series adapted, or the Wheel of Time. But not just books! Movies or even anime works.

Opera! - This might require a team. Voice acting for your game. Musical or opera.

Tax Calculator 2003 - Essentially, your game is not a game at all. It's using one of the game makers to make something functional, such as a tax program or maybe a weather forecaster.

Cinema - A game with little or no gameplay. Something like Maranda or With His Father's Sword. The emphasis is entirely on building cutscenes, not battle balance or any of that stuff. Lighting, music, and so on must build the mood.

Historical Fiction - Think Outlander or the Through the Darkness (Harry Turtledove). Use actual history, then make changes and extrapolate what these changes do.

Chimera - A good halloween event. Basically, mix and match game genres to make a weird hybrid like Western Space Horror (with romance elements). The weirder the splice, the more stuff is awarded.

Year Long Project - See what you can do in a year. Alone or in teams. One calendar year from the date started, you submit your game. Closer to end date counts more than halfway, and rated on the level of completion and length (or something).

Or something else.
I actually really love the idea of music video! Cause depending on the music genre you can do a lot, and it's hilarious. It'd feel more like a musical tho.
(an actual musical tho? nah, needs equipment and singing and dedication, and prolly very challenging for peeps)

Matroshka is cool too.
Jeroen_Sol
Nothing reveals Humanity so well as the games it plays. A game of betrayal, where the most suspicious person is brutally murdered? How savage.
I like opera. I've been working more with my voice since I'm playing in a musical right now, and I'd love to practice voice acting as well!
We already have a lot of ideas for events. We're happy to hear people's ideas and crib them but we really don't need a whole topic about coming up with ideas, thanks - we have a thread with a lot of ideas we have, including ones others have mentioned.

So, uh, please don't assume we need help coming up with new ideas. The reason we have sequel events is because members ask for them or express a desire to see x or y event come back since they were such fun. Not a lack of ideas.

I contest your list.
1 - this is the second time we've had this event. The last time was literally YEARS ago.
2 - we haven't had a random theme event for quite a while before the Roulette one, and that was held to get a new staffer's feet wet.
3 - we had this once. For the birthday game, which is never a serious event. It's a short time thing for fun.
4 - we have these because we get a lot of games on the site that need reviews. Obviously.
5 - Yup, that's because they come around every year. They're something people can plan for because they know they're going to happen at a set time and go a certain length and they can plan to put time aside. That said, we try to change them up. Sometimes the Halloween event is about horror, sometimes it's not.

Seriously, you're way off base saying those are the only events we ever hold.
- Seasons event is a new series of events based around the four Seasons.
- Super Toadly World... I notice you didn't actually mention the one event that actually does come around more often than most.
- Release Something - another oft-held event you forgot to mention. It'll keep being used as it's a good way for people to go "I want to release a demo/video/thing on my current project and get feedback for it" and we've been holding it since before kentona took over the site, iirc.
- Kid's Draw. Second version of the event where kentona's kids drew enemies and people made them into sprites.
- Stupefaction Search. Took over the Befuddle Quest slot of puzzle collaboration games.
- Revive the Dead - second time held. Halloween event that saw old games brought back to be worked on again.
- GayMak the Rainbow - take characters from the Pride Month event and make games with them as the main characters.
- Retromanie - make retro-based games.
- McBJ 4 - team up with people you haven't worked with before to make games based on a theme. 4th of its kind.
- Winterruption - Christmas event based on making a game using a list of sidequests.
- Kids Design 1 - the prequel.
- Halloween Horror - Halloween event. Make a horror game.
- Game Page Workshop - make your game pages prettier
- Mc BJ3 - the BJening
- Super RMN 3
- RMN 9 - Birthday event. 9 hours to make a game. 3x3x3 challenges
- Super Mario Bros 2
- Aim for the Stars - a music event based on summoner of sounds events
- Swap in the Middle 1 (over 2 years back)
- Release Something Sonic version
- Review Fantasy - FF themed Review event
- MVLYmpics - bunch of mini events over a weekend
- No-RM event - make game without RPG Maker
- McBJ 2
- Golden Age of Gammak - celebrating the release of 2k into english. Theme was Cliches.
- 2015 Birthday - make a game in 8 hours. theme: Cameos/Self-inserts. social interaction necessary.
- Golden Week of 2k3 - celebrating the release of 2k3 into English. No theme. 2k3 only engine.
- Summoner of Sounds (went on forever). make music based on various themes. different theme each event.
- Befuddle Quest 7 - make a puzzle map and send it to kentona.
- Release Something 13 - just release what you've been working on to show shit off.
- Strawberry Review Jam - review games that don't have reviews.
- McBJ 1 - the first of it's name.
- MYOG - make resources then make a game with them. Split into three events: Graphics, music, game
- Revive the Dead 1 - take a dead game and finish it off for Halloween.
- Fundamental RPGology - design a battle system that is experimental and interesting
- IGMC 2014 - the RMN page for the IGMC of that year. Not really our event, jsut a place to show off the games you made for it.
- Game Name Game - make ideas for a game, pitch the game and then people vote on the best one.
- Castles Masterpiece Set 2 - another SMBX event.
- An RM Venture - make a game in a week and then feedback each others' games. For RM Birthday.
- Talking TIme event - IDEK
- Reviewrim - Skyrim themed review event
- Game Chill 2013 - make a game with at least 3 of the listed items in them. Christmas event.

These are the events we've held in the last 5 years that have had an event page. I'm sorry, I'm not seeing a lot of what you're saying is over-used. In fact, the most done events are McBJ events, the Review ones (which is fair, we always want more reviews) and the Mario-based ones. Even the seasonal holiday events aren't the same every year. I take care to make sure we're NOT doing the same event all the time, after all. :/

Again, we're happy to listen to people's recommendations, but we do have a rather large list of such things (and our own ideas, of course) that we check through. I assure you, if we need a thread of suggestions because we're running low, we'd ask. Or make an event based around doing just that. ;p
Matroska - It's very unclear about what you mean by this, which would confuse a lot of people. Maybe if it were explained better and with more information as to what you mean.

Truly Random Game -
The issue with this is that it's quite easy to cheat if you're picking your own random stuff, and if you leave it in our hands then it lacks both the personal touch of having you guys have come up with the words, but also the issue of some words just not being fit for game themes.

Engine Challenge - How would you send them an engine? That makes no sense. And isn't this basically just the same as the swap event? One person starts, another finishes? Except in the proper events' case we take into account what engines people have so that when they get a game they know they'll be able to make the rest. Unless you mean something different when you say engine? Wait, do you mean you put in a list of what engines you have and then, idk, you get told what engine to make in? Or you get sent someone else's choice for an engine? But what if you don't have the engine that you're assigned? Yeah, this is too complicated and doesn't really have a twist outside of 'instead of using MV, use 2k3' which isn't much of a twist for most people.

Music Video -
We had something like this not too long ago, except it wasn't specific to music video, but a trailer for your game, which is pretty much the same thing. Yeah, for the RM Birthday event this year, iirc.

Fan Adaptation - We had the Badaption event which was essentially this, but with the aim being to make a bad adaption. I was kicking around the idea of a Goodaption event for some time in the future in the discord just the other day.

Opera! - This might be an idea, but it'd limit a lot of people who either don't have voices that they want to share or don't have hardware/software to use for this.

Tax Calculator 2003 - Hm... but would it be fun? I guess it could be a silly little random challenge event for a birthday event or something.

Cinema - Eh, it's a nice idea for a short event. I can't see it being more than that since people like to PLAY games that come from the events. That said, we have the Visual Novel Maker event to do, now that there's an actual demo for it out now.

Historical Fiction - Eh... I can see this not being a fan with most people as the trend seems to be to make games to escape the real world instead of trying to remake our current one.

Chimera - It's got some promise. I'll add it to the list of events as something worth looking at for a future event.

Year Long Project - No. Far too long for an event, sorry. There's a reason we try to keep events shorter in scale. People are busy making their games. Events are supposed to be a stop-gap break from their main games, something short to get the juices back pumping, to break them out of any kind of funk they might be falling in to. They're not supposed to divert attention completely from their own projects (I mean, sometimes that does happen, but it's an unintended side-effect.) Deliberately trying to get people to focus on making a year-long game just for an event is something we won't be doing, sorry.
I make my events based on what theme's I want to use for achievement icons.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
Ideas I like are chimera, historical fiction, and opera.

We did the random game topic. Some people may have enjoyed it. I didn't.
author=Liberty
1 - this is the second time we've had this event. The last time was literally YEARS ago.
2 - we haven't had a random theme event for quite a while before the Roulette one, and that was held to get a new staffer's feet wet.
3 - we had this once. For the birthday game, which is never a serious event. It's a short time thing for fun.
4 - we have these because we get a lot of games on the site that need reviews. Obviously.
5 - Yup, that's because they come around every year. They're something people can plan for because they know they're going to happen at a set time and go a certain length and they can plan to put time aside. That said, we try to change them up. Sometimes the Halloween event is about horror, sometimes it's not.

I ummm looked at the list after starting the thing. I apologize for nothing (even though I'm totally wrong). This was less a "developers need help event-planning" and more a "I've got a bunch of event ideas and dunno who to tell them to so here's a thread, right here. And maybe other people might too, later?"

Comments in bluish.

author=Liberty
Matroska - It's very unclear about what you mean by this, which would confuse a lot of people. Maybe if it were explained better and with more information as to what you mean.

Prior to coming here, I was at the (now defunct) Rpg Revolution. We had a team project (that essentially collapsed) where we had a game that was like layers of reality. It was literally called Matroska. Matroska are those Russian Nesting Dolls, that each one's inside another. Starting with a very clearly MMO style game, real life ppl playing the game, then it turned out to be like mental institution and people were imagining they were gamers while actually trying to escape the mental facility. This too turned out to be just a game. It was absurd though. Sorta like that, but not necessarily outward, you could also go increasingly pixelated.

Truly Random Game - The issue with this is that it's quite easy to cheat if you're picking your own random stuff, and if you leave it in our hands then it lacks both the personal touch of having you guys have come up with the words, but also the issue of some words just not being fit for game themes.

I think mods could probably give like a list of ten, and then roll 1d10. Or something. But yea.

Engine Challenge - How would you send them an engine? That makes no sense. And isn't this basically just the same as the swap event? One person starts, another finishes? Except in the proper events' case we take into account what engines people have so that when they get a game they know they'll be able to make the rest. Unless you mean something different when you say engine? Wait, do you mean you put in a list of what engines you have and then, idk, you get told what engine to make in? Or you get sent someone else's choice for an engine? But what if you don't have the engine that you're assigned? Yeah, this is too complicated and doesn't really have a twist outside of 'instead of using MV, use 2k3' which isn't much of a twist for most people.

Yeah that. It could be limited to free and/or readily available engines (2tsu3, Renpy, etc). But yeah, it was kinda half-baked.

Music Video - We had something like this not too long ago, except it wasn't specific to music video, but a trailer for your game, which is pretty much the same thing. Yeah, for the RM Birthday event this year, iirc.

We did? Darn I missed it. I tend to ignore those events (sorry) because I think it's always gonna be a game.

Fan Adaptation - We had the Badaption event which was essentially this, but with the aim being to make a bad adaption. I was kicking around the idea of a Goodaption event for some time in the future in the discord just the other day.

Yay!!! ^_^ Also when was the Badaption event?

Opera! - This might be an idea, but it'd limit a lot of people who either don't have voices that they want to share or don't have hardware/software to use for this.

No kidding. I used StarNow.com to get some voice actors, but I think now they all want wages and stuff. How dare voice actors ask for actual wages. Cuz like they should be happy getting "exposure." Ummm but seriously, having music and voice acting can be a complication in terms of talent and/or programming. But in theory this is alot of fun.

Tax Calculator 2003 - Hm... but would it be fun? I guess it could be a silly little random challenge event for a birthday event or something.

Ummmm, maybe? I mean, the weather forecaster, you could be like "do the clouds look like this, this, or that? What season is it? Do you live in an area with strong winds?" And kinda predict based on the answers. And the tax one would be like making all the TaxProWizard custom menus and tables. It's... fun(?) in a weird way.

Cinema - Eh, it's a nice idea for a short event. I can't see it being more than that since people like to PLAY games that come from the events. That said, we have the Visual Novel Maker event to do, now that there's an actual demo for it out now.

It would have to max out at about 90 min for straight cinema (except in the case of a Ben Hur-style epic, in which case mebbe you get it longer, with permission). In theory, you could also have something like You Are Not The Hero, where there is some gameplay, but no battles or grind. In essence, the point of cinema is that you don't have gameover, if you do something different, it is more like a Choose Your Own Adventure (which brings up another event, btw) where you live with the choices.

Historical Fiction - Eh... I can see this not being a fan with most people as the trend seems to be to make games to escape the real world instead of trying to remake our current one.

I guess you have to be one of those people who is like "What if they had tanks in the War of the Roses?" to be into that.

Chimera - It's got some promise. I'll add it to the list of events as something worth looking at for a future event.

Yay?

Year Long Project - No. Far too long for an event, sorry. There's a reason we try to keep events shorter in scale. People are busy making their games. Events are supposed to be a stop-gap break from their main games, something short to get the juices back pumping, to break them out of any kind of funk they might be falling in to. They're not supposed to divert attention completely from their own projects (I mean, sometimes that does happen, but it's an unintended side-effect.) Deliberately trying to get people to focus on making a year-long game just for an event is something we won't be doing, sorry.

Ah, well. I wasn't aware of the purpose of that. I was thinking more in terms of the whole Fairy Tale Year-Long and Ten-Year Missions. Also, not everyone participates in ever event, and it would kinda be for people who have hit a slump and need something challenging to work on. But yeah. I think my original concept was sorta "Make Kingdom Hearts quality game, preferably with a team" without doing much thinking about the implications of interrupting other games and/or life.

Again, we're happy to listen to people's recommendations, but we do have a rather large list of such things (and our own ideas, of course) that we check through. I assure you, if we need a thread of suggestions because we're running low, we'd ask. Or make an event based around doing just that. ;p

Oooh! Yeah, add that to the list.
chain games like befuddle, if the person A doesnt pass anything to the next person (B), the guy before person A will just pass off their version to the person B instead to ensure that the game gets to the end of the line. Or that police event (anyone still remember that?)
I just thought up an idea on the spot fifteen mins ago. Calling it Late To The Party. Cuz I'm always aware of events around the time they are nearly over.

Basic idea, you are given a short list of past events as a dropdown. You get an award as if doing that event (only credit if you haven't in fact done the event). For logistics purposes, it can't be anything too complicated, though.

Police event? What was that one?
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
Bro if you have an event idea you can always approach the staff and be like, "Hey, I would like to run this event!" instead of going, "Hey, look at these people doing a shitload of unpaid work to keep things fun and offer opportunities for gam mak! They're not doing it right! They should do it my way, despite the fact that all I'm offering is ideas!"

I mean, this is basically the event version of "Looking for a team. I need a writer and a graphics person and someone to do the events and maps. I'll provide the ideas."
but then it would be vulnerable to censorship and security paradoxes
Also I guess anyone can run an event at any time. There's been lots of forum-based events in the past. The Opera (or even music video) could be run in the forums. Maybe something like GWIdol (no one remembers this, but I was in GWIdol so I remember it) which is just people record themselves singing songs and then judges and polls for getting to a second round or however these song music reality shows work these days.
author=kentona

Shush you. That thread hasn't got a post lately, you want that people become interested in it again? Cuz it'll happen!

Noooooo! It's too late.

author=bulmabriefs144
author=kentona
Shush you. That thread hasn't got a post lately, you want that people become interested in it again? Cuz it'll happen!

Noooooo! It's too late.

It doesn;t count if YOU do it
I didn't do it. Cats possessed my body.

That sounded weirder saying it.
That isn't historical fiction... I'm pretty sure that's called alternate history fiction when you add things like tanks to The War of the Roses.

Which like piano... I'm kind of down for the idea of historical fiction / alternate history fiction. Game of Thrones drew heavily from the War of the Roses.
As Shinan said, we're open to people running forum-based events as long as they let us know beforehand (so that we can make sure there's no scheduling issues/that it's appropriate for the site/that it gets achieves set up). So if you have something YOU want to run at some point let one of the event-handling staff know.

That reminds me, did we get the Contacts page updated yet? Nope
We have a Contact section?

Hell, I don't know who half the mods are. Besides maybe kentona, Housekeeping, and that weird dinosaur guy. You know the one.

Yahaha, I found it!

:Gets stone dropped on:

Also, it turns out Housekeeping is not an actual mod from the looks of this. He just acts like one. o_0
Solitayre
Circumstance penalty for being the bard.
I do think the Event system is due for an upgrade. It's always been staff-gated and it doesn't need to be. Users should be able to submit events the same way they can submit game profiles (probably with more specific standards for what's acceptable.)

I don't think they should require a staff member to set up the page.
Pages: first 1234 next last