[POLL] HOW DO YOU PRONOUNCE LUCAVI?

Poll

Lucavi are the demons from Final Fantasy Tactics. How do you pronounce Lucavi, personally? - Results

Rhymes with Blue Hobby
62%
Rhymes with Blue Slav Eye
12%
Rhymes with Huckabee
25%

Pages: first 12 next last
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
I want to assume that everyone who votes 3 is just trolling me, but someone on my MUD said they pronounced it that way for real.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
Yeah, I try not to over think Final Fantasy pronunciations, especially since I can't think of a single instance where Final Fantasy gave us a name with a pronunciation that was bat shit crazy different from the spelling.
Dyluck
For thousands of years, I laid dormant. Who has disturbed my slumber?
I'm guessing it's pronounced similar to how it is in Russian:

The Russian word lukavy (лукавый) means "deceptive". It is commonly used as a euphemism for the Christian Devil. It is related to the Greek word lykaugea, which means "twilight".

Personally, I say it as Loo Sah Vee, with the same emphasis as the word Lucifer

lʉ:kʰɑːvi

If me quickly looking up IPA letters are correct.

EDIT:
maybe more
lʉkʰɑːvi
unity
You're magical to me.
The first option. That's how I always imagined it, anyway.

author=Dyluck
I'm guessing it's pronounced similar to how it is in Russian:

The Russian word lukavy (лукавый) means "deceptive". It is commonly used as a euphemism for the Christian Devil. It is related to the Greek word lykaugea, which means "twilight".

Impressive. Now I want to know how a native speaker would pronounce lukavy.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
Luck-av-ee. Or, if you prefer, an AVI with Luc...

...in it.

*nervous laugh*
*shows myself the door*
Luke-Cav-Ee

but then again people claim that Canadians have trouble with their vowels, eh? but I don't know what they're talking aboot

E:
also, what's this about Final Fantasy? I don't remember a Lucavi in any Final Fantasies 1-6...
Luke Cah Vee. Lucavi. Why is this a thing?
ESBY
extreme disappointment
like nuckelavee
author=Liberty
Loo Cah Vee, lock-ehz

this way, which i feel compelled to point out only slant rhymes with blue hobby

Edit After Actually Reading Poll Question Carefully: oh, those guys, from FFT? I pronounce it MOTHERFUCKER. God some of those fights were insanely tough, like throw your console out a window in rage tough. I have an irrational pulsating hatred for Lucavi yet still could not remember their proper name. Odd.
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
I would usually pronounce it Spanish/Italian way, but now I can't help myself but to use the Huckabee pronouncation.
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
Jeroen_Sol
Nothing reveals Humanity so well as the games it plays. A game of betrayal, where the most suspicious person is brutally murdered? How savage.
I stress the first syllable rather than the second, but otherwise pronounce it the same as Libby.

So LOO-cuh-vee, I guess.
Funny I stumble across this as I'm playing War of the Lions. In my head I pronounce it loo-cah-vee. And while we're on the subject of FFT. I'd like to rant about how I had to practically blind luck my way through the fight on the Riovanes Castle roof because Rapha, having all the self preservation skills of a rich tea biscuit near a cup of tea, kept moving towards the two assassins instead of away. Even with the naked run strategy, one assassin would cast ultima on them, while the other would TKO Rapha. And totally-not-sephiroth kept first striking everyone.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
author=Dyluck

Ever since you wrote this, I've been unable to pronounce it any other way.
Loo - kah - vee (if I go by more Latin or German direction)

It's just much more intuitive to me. It all depends on what your mother tongue is, friend.
(so I do it like Libby!)

Otherwise
Loo - sah - vee makes sense, but doesn't sound as nice to me
Jeroen_Sol
Nothing reveals Humanity so well as the games it plays. A game of betrayal, where the most suspicious person is brutally murdered? How savage.
Same. It's impossible for me to pronounce ca as sa. C is pronounced S before I or E, but K before A, O and U. I can't break away from that, it seems.
ESBY
extreme disappointment
author=Jeroen_Sol
Same. It's impossible for me to pronounce ca as sa. C is pronounced S before I or E, but K before A, O and U. I can't break away from that, it seems.
facade
Jeroen_Sol
Nice try, but that word is originally façade, with a character specifically designed to be pronounced as S before A,O,U.

But in the absense of the cedilla, I suppose the only other way to spell it would be facade. Like Ky said, it's the more German/Latin rules that feel more intuitive to me. English indeed doesn't always follow those rules.
Pages: first 12 next last