DECISION WITH CHARACTERS ON CHAIRS [RM2K] / [RM2K3]

Pages: 1
This involves trying to have characters on chairs, not on stools. Stools would be easy.

I have characters moving near chairs in cut scenes. These are high ones so they take up two tiles, the second tile showing the backs of the chairs. When they are on them, they look fine as I've made the top so it is unpassable, so they look correct.

However, in cut scenes, when they move behind them, they show up walking on top of them.

Is this unavoidable and I'll just have to choose one way or the other? Having them either unpassable, or having them set as move-behind?

This doesn't affect the game in anyway, it just can look a bit jarring for a second.

What method do you think I should go with? Unpassable or Move-Behind?
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
I personally go with move behind.
I'm a move behind type of guy too ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Here's the solution to your problem.
-First, use a Switch to toggle whether the Chair-top is Above or Same Layer. Same graphic, different settings. If I'm not mistaken, you'll have to make the chair-top into Char-type event, rather than a map tile.
-Second, disable up/down movement on the chair itself using the tileset's Directional Passability.
-Third, put Below/Touched By Hero events adjacent to the Chair-top that toggle the Switch, making it switch to Above. That way, the hero will appear to be stepping behind it.
-Fourth, put more Below/Touched By Hero events adjacent to the events in step 3, turning the Switch off. That way, if the hero steps onto the chair, the top half won't give him a lobotomy.

If these chairs appear only in cutscenes and are never traversable in regular gameplay, then you can skip steps 3 and 4 and just toggle the Switch as needed.
Thanks for telling me how to go about doing this.
author=MoonWolfV
This involves trying to have characters on chairs, not on stools. Stools would be easy.

I have characters moving near chairs in cut scenes. These are high ones so they take up two tiles, the second tile showing the backs of the chairs. When they are on them, they look fine as I've made the top so it is unpassable, so they look correct.

However, in cut scenes, when they move behind them, they show up walking on top of them.

Is this unavoidable and I'll just have to choose one way or the other? Having them either unpassable, or having them set as move-behind?

This doesn't affect the game in anyway, it just can look a bit jarring for a second.

What method do you think I should go with? Unpassable or Move-Behind?

Solve your problem with charsets! Make a chair charset (they can be 2 high I think), then make a charset splicing your character on top of it. No worrying about passability, it's an event and you can change that.

Btw, if you suck at spriting, here's a trick. Go to Paint (yeah really), 2nd color is the background color, make sure both the chair and the person are in the same file, copy the chair once, select the transparent option, select the person and drag him over. If you did it right, it will drag only the character, not the background color, and you'll be able to place it on top of the chair. Save, then go to like GIMP or irFanView and convert to 256 color.
I got him, I'm not sure if I did it properly though >_> I'm not usually on bot duty.

Edit - at least the post here, I don't think I have banne power.
Pages: 1