SYSTEM SOUNDS! ANY GOOD SOURCES FOR 'EM?

Pages: 1
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
I'm being endlessly persnickety about my sound design, and it's difficult to track down good SFX sites that aren't just foley.

So, y'all know any good collections or sites for system sounds?

TIA!
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
I use freesound.org for all my sound effect needs. Everything there is CC-By unless marked otherwise, so you can even use it in commercial projects.
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
I'd written off freesound a while back, but now you mention it, I recall it had a fair amount of game sounds, so I'll give that a try. Thanks!
Sooz
author=kentona

I must admit, making that every system sound would be pretty great
Maou Damashii has a good source of system sounds, all free to use in commercial products. TAM Music Factory has a section full of menu sounds, but commercial use is more limited.
System sound, and your scope, is kind of vague but this is always hearty https://www.sounds-resource.com/
Sooz
author=Link_2112
System sound, and your scope, is kind of vague but this is always hearty https://www.sounds-resource.com/

ETA: OK I wouldn't call "a page of ripped copyrighted media" hearty, exactly.
It includes many system sounds from many games. You didn't specify non rips. I can't imagine it's easy to find decent system sounds on free sites.
Sooz
author=Link_2112
I can't imagine it's easy to find decent system sounds on free sites.

That is why I posted here asking for help. It goes without saying that there are game rips available; if I wanted to use them I wouldn't need to ask.
EDIT: crud, I didn't know it was specifically links to websites that you wanted! I'm pretty clueless on that front so I can't exactly help there, sorry.

When it comes to system sounds, I've found that making my own tends to lend better to a sense of uniqueness. It does require knowing a bit about sound design, but it's way easier than music composition.
I usually use audacity to either generate basic waveforms or record my best vocal imitations of a base to work from. And then from there it's just a matter of refining and editing until the sound your working on fits the context it's being designed to work for.

As for a general cheat sheet for the three main system sounds:
-cursor noises tend to be relatively simple and almost nondescript, generally sets the tone for the other system sounds to play off of. Your player will be hearing this noise a lot more than the others.
-selection noises tend to be higher in pitch than the cursor, and often just a bit longer. Think of it as a mild reward for making a choice and sticking with it.
-cancel noises tend to be lower in pitch than the cursor, though are often more dismissive rather than negative. There's no shame in going back and reevaluating your choices. This noise should reflect that.

It takes a fair bit of practice, and you may have better luck with different base tones to work with, but custom sound design is immensely rewarding once you have it in your back pocket.
Pages: 1