HELP ME DESIGN A RAPPELLING MINIGAME!

Pages: 1
So, I want the PCs to start the second episode rappelling quickly down through this crumbling semi-ruined tower dragon wizard's castle (man-made, in good repair). And for some reason the fact that it's not and CANNOT be 3D is really making me draw a blank. Now I know that tons of great 2D videogames, a lot of them sidescrollrs and platformers, have made great use of vertical space. But I'm having no specific example comes to mind on how one might be made in RPG Maker VX Ace and I'm pretty sure that technically between eventing scripts and plugins pretty much all the capabilities to do this are built into pretty much every RPG Maker hence the lack of a tag.

(ideas that don't require custom graphics are the best custom graphics are hard to source and i'm not an experienced pixeler)
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
Okay, so I absolutely can visualize this, and it would look a little like this:

I would imagine a gauge in the upper right or something charting each player and when it's a certain color is the best time for the players to move down. Press a button corresponding to the player who's gauge is green. Doing so at the right time helps him descend faster. Doing so at the wrong time slows him down.
Okay, yes, that's good....I can work with that....Galv's Variable Instance Guages and there was a timed button press script I had somewhere....

Part of what was stumping me was that I wasn't sure if I wanted there to be a failure condition (game over or otherwise). I'm still not completely sure but I'm leaning towards no.
I like pianotm's idea, and it's pretty much what I envisioned when I thought of rappelling in RM*.

I'd suggest that you don't have a failure condition, rather a positive reward condition; ie they miss treasure if they are too slow, miss too many presses, etc. If you go with piano's idea, perhaps each character gets their own piece of equipment if you get them down fast enough, and miss out if you don't.

Since it's a forced scene at the start of a chapter, having a game over condition for a minigame doesn't seem very nice.
author=StormCrow
So, I want the PCs to start the second episode rappelling quickly down through this crumbling semi-ruined tower. And for some reason the fact that it's not and CANNOT be 3D is really making me draw a blank. Now I know that tons of great 2D videogames, a lot of them sidescrollrs and platformers, have made great use of vertical space. But I'm having no specific example comes to mind on how one might be made in RPG Maker VX Ace and I'm pretty sure that technically between eventing scripts and plugins pretty much all the capabilities to do this are built into pretty much every RPG Maker hence the lack of a tag.

(ideas that don't require custom graphics are the best custom graphics are hard to source and i'm not an experienced pixeler)

VX sux. Just saying. I don't have VX, but I'll show you something.

or this

This with none of the diagonal angled rocks. Ledges in a basically flat surface give character to it, as do a widening (or narrowing)

Not realistic, you say?

Mountain crags can be in any formation imaginable.

Also, crumbling ruins would by definition NOT be perfectly straight. They'd have crumbled spots.
So...it's worth mentioning they're rappelling down the side of a dragon wizard's castle (man-made, in good repair), not a rock wall or crumbling ruins. There could totally be windows and balconies, though. (This is for Road To Paradise: The Staircase Episode 2 which will be commercial and will only exist if the first episodes of Staircase and/or Dragon sell enough copies.)

Also probably worth mentioning that them shooting guards with silenced firearms or whatever as they make their way down the building is totally a thing that could go in the minigame. (They are from Earth, RTP-land has taken one of their friends prisoner, and so they are outfitted and inclined to savagely punch RTP land right in the dick to get him back.)

I'd suggest that you don't have a failure condition, rather a positive reward condition; ie they miss treasure if they are too slow, miss too many presses, etc. If you go with piano's idea, perhaps each character gets their own piece of equipment if you get them down fast enough, and miss out if you don't.

Since it's a forced scene at the start of a chapter, having a game over condition for a minigame doesn't seem very nice.

Yeah, you are most probably right, but I'm of two minds about this.

Like, when I think about video game minigames ending in game overs, it's kind of hit and miss. Just two random off the top of my head examples. The car minigame in ABL...I actually don't recall for sure if there was an option to retry or bypass it, but I do remember trying it until I finally didn't fail it and enjoying the challenge.

Like I think...generally...easy minigame + game over if you lose is probably okay. But on the other end of the spectrum like that bullshit sword-fight with the Ruby Dragon in FF8...gah, FUCK that shit completely. (First time around I chose the vaguely worded "give in" option, mistakenly thinking they were sane and that would bypass the minigame, instead of it leading to a fucking game over and me losing at least an hour of progress.)
So, I want the PCs to start the second episode rappelling quickly down through this crumbling semi-ruined tower.

So...it's worth mentioning they're rappelling down the side of a dragon wizard's castle (man-made, in good repair)

This is what we had to work with. In good repair? Or crumbling? We could do either, but be consistent.

Btw, what is at the base of this tower? Theoretically, you could have two rappelling challenges, not one, if said tower is on a cliffside.

My advice? Have the ability to set climbing pins, and make ropes. You would then have limited ability to dodge out of the way, but can also control just how much movement you allow. Doing this adds challenge to the whole avoiding arrows thing, and feels more realistic and adds a 3D element to an otherwise boring 2D climb. And yes, def have parapets and archers.
Oops, yeah sorry.
author=bulmabriefs144
So, I want the PCs to start the second episode rappelling quickly down through this crumbling semi-ruined tower.
So...it's worth mentioning they're rappelling down the side of a dragon wizard's castle (man-made, in good repair)

This is what we had to work with. In good repair? Or crumbling? We could do either, but be consistent.

OOPS! Sorry about that. FWIW I do think I changed my mind from Episode 2 of The Staircase would kick off with them rappelling down Voidsreach Tower to it kicking off with them rappelling down Timekeep. Yeah, definitely the latter. Let me fix the OP.
Pages: 1